2 Jobs, what would you choose...

Man of Honour
production lines arent to bad depending on the people you work with.

But it depends.

Is this short term or long term
Do you preffer a happy work life, or the money so you can do things outside of work that make you happy ie expensive hobbies
Is this a career or a stop gap or what?
What career prospects are there in each company (look at company websites ect)

Soldato
I had a mate who worked at the Nissan plant (many years ago) as part of some placement or other (can't recall exactly) and he said it was really hard. This wasn't a person afraid of work either.

What you might like to be careful of is getting trapped in a job like Nissan that pays an ok wage for a job you may well hate. In the end you could find you're trapped by the money, doing something you despise and unable to get out.

However, if it was me, I'd go for Nissan still...

Soldato
I say stay at M&S until you find a job you are SURE you want.
Sometimes being comfortable with what you have is better.

Don't make the mistake of going to Nissan, hating it, and wishing you'd never left M&S, on a plus side, they may take you back anyway...

Maybe start the job at Nissan, take 'holiday' from M&S for a week or two, and see how you go...

Soldato
OP
Ill give you a quick rundown of my situation regarding gas fitter etc.

I was an apprentice gas fitter along with 14 other lads.

Our employers sent us to a college in Sunderland, this college was understaffed, and over populated with people trying to learn a trade. After years of complaints from us that we werent being put into exams, and that we were not given proper tests etc, our employers still took no notice.

The 4yr apprenticeship ran into 5 years and they never said a word, simply let us carry on as usual, albeit totally behind on coursework. Bang on 5yrs they finished all but 2 of us. These 2 who are kept on, are still not qualified.

So i lost my job... without my NVQ backing me up(well, it was delayed coming through), i was having a struggle getting a job.

So i was doing a few cash in hand jobs on the side, and being a bit silly with cash i was in debt etc...

THEN!....

I got my tools robbed, so work ground to a halt.

Now a few month down the line i need cash to pay for my gas course, and clear some debts to get back on my feet.

Damn im answering my own question here.

Guess i gotta follow the money.

Forgot to mention, Nissan is rolling temp work. There is at least 6month work there but hopefully i will be back on my feet by then!.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Stay at Nissan & work part time at M&S for fun & the extra cash. Do it for five years & you'll be minted & in a position financially to make your Lifes choice of Money & No time or No money & loads of time.

Man of Honour
Hedge said:
Now a few month down the line i need cash to pay for my gas course, and clear some debts to get back on my feet.

Damn im answering my own question here.

Guess i gotta follow the money.

Forgot to mention, Nissan is rolling temp work. There is at least 6month work there but hopefully i will be back on my feet by then!.

as you said, nissan is the way forward, sometime it's worth doing a rubbish job, if it's just the money you need.

Soldato
Nissan no doubt man, start at the bottom, work your way up.
If you shear a hand of while doing so, you'll grow another. :D

Plus I worked in M&S, I felt like slashing my wrists at the end of every day, loads of rich ******* and loads of depressing old people.
It wasn't that bad when I worked in tesco's, which was in a really dodgey area, I prefer the scummers.

Soldato
OP
AcidHell2 said:
as you said, nissan is the way forward, sometime it's worth doing a rubbish job, if it's just the money you need.

Yeah ive gave it some thought and I think your right. M+S is pretty boring work too, fair enough its more varied, but it pays pennies in comparison to nissan.

Some downsides, other than the mundane style of work, at Nissan is that...

You gotta put your hand up and get timed on toilet breaks as stopping the line costs money!
Overtime is mandatory, you cant get out of it if you are on early shift.
Saturdays are also compulsary if you are on early shift.

But on the plus side all this overtime pays well.. and potentially a month of OT will see me coming out with about 1700 after tax

Soldato
Ask for a raise in M+S, if its below what you expected then give them your notice and go to nissan, but if its a nice boost then id say stay where you like. ultimately dependant on how much you need the extra cash.

Soldato
OP
Deluxe1 said:
Got a few mates that work for nissan and they hate it,always moaning about it.

One of them has just left after 15 years.

Yeah i have 3 mates working there, and none are exactly over the moon about it lol.

I think ive gotta just switch off and give it a go.

Forgot to mention that i have a line test first, where i just go see how i feel about it for a few hours.

With everything i say, i realise how silly i was in asking for advice in the first place! haha

Soldato
You`ll also have to do shift work to,how do you feel about that?

The extra money at first will be great and will outweight any negetives of the job but once the novelty wears off you may wish that u had of stayed at m & s where its close to home and set working hours.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
:) heh , hate cars ... :D Can’t find a 1st/2nd line support job anywhere or even a job within the it industry, wish i took a main profession

Associate
Mp4 said:
:) heh , hate cars ... :D Can’t find a 1st/2nd line support job anywhere or even a job within the it industry, wish i took a main profession

Where abouts are you from?

On topic, im not surprised Nissan pay £9 an hour if you have to do shifts till 1am :eek:

Back
Top Bottom