2 seater with a family, some advice

Man of Honour
Hey guys,

Need your help, my conscience is getting in the way of a car purchase so I either need reassurance or some sense talking in to me :p

So, agreed a deal on a 2019 Vantage, can pick it up tomorrow. Absolutely in love with the car, I've always wanted an Aston Martin, and admittedly, I always thought I'd have the older shape, but the values on those for a good one is higher than ever now and I'm not sure I want to run an older car like that with the potential headaches that older Aston's bring.

Anyway, as I say, love the car, love the spec, ticks every box, I should be chomping at the bit to get there tomorrow and bring it home. However, I have 2 kids, one 8 and one 3, and I can't help but feel guilty and almost selfish for getting a 2 seater. We have another family car, an SUV with plenty of space, and I've already had this conversation with my girlfriend that on the rare occasion she needs to go somewhere and I'm at home with the kids, she can take the Vantage (yikes) and I'll have the SUV at home in case of an emergency. So in theory, it shouldn't be a problem.

I do maybe 3-4k miles a year. I work from home every day and haven't been in the office since March 2020, that isn't going to change as my contract is now fully remote. So my C63 has basically been a weekend toy, but due to it being just that, I've started to have my head turned which is why I've started looking. The Vantage is what I always come back to, I've entertained the idea of 570, an R8, Porsche GT4 but I always just come back to the Aston and spend time looking at those and finally bit the bullet and went for one.

Talk to me, should I stop being a dick and get a 4 seater or should I snap out of it and go ahead? Plenty of other families do it, so it's not like I'm in a unique position, I just can't help feel it's a bit selfish of me.

Thanks!

Soldato
I mean it's entirely up to you, you have another car so it's totally doable you just need to plan it a bit more so the big car is always where the kids are.

I have use of a van with only 2 seats and we only have 1 daughter and even then if feels like a hassle but i put up with it as it's free, i personally wouldn't want to go down to 1 car being essentially useless for anything other than fun but then me and the wife both work so we use our cars more than you will.

If it's your halo car though there's nothing stopping you, is this a life long goal type car?

Man of Honour
OP
I mean it's entirely up to you, you have another car so it's totally doable you just need to plan it a bit more so the big car is always where the kids are.

I have use of a van with only 2 seats and we only have 1 daughter and even then if feels like a hassle but i put up with it as it's free, i personally wouldn't want to go down to 1 car being essentially useless for anything other than fun but then me and the wife both work so we use our cars more than you will.

If it's your halo car though there's nothing stopping you, is this a life long goal type car?

Oh 100% it's a dream car.

The Merc does everything, since being mapped it's effectively a 600bhp family car as it does all the main driving. Drove to Disneyland, does all the weekends away etc so I'd effectively be putting all that work on to her car, which is probably more suited to long journeys being a diesel, but as I say, just something in my mind saying "Don't be so selfish" but...it doesn't really change or prevent anything, as I'm always home, and if I'm not home, she still has her car like she always has done, and if she's not home and I am, she'll take the AM and I'll have her car.

Soldato
I'm in a very similar position

3 month old baby - with a KIA to be the family car. The Alfa Guilia easily sits in the fun / family section, but its just sat there with me WFH.

Ideally I'd love an Alpine a110 or an Aston, but I'm tempted to shift one of the cars, pay some of the mortgage off and just get a 6k MX5 for something "fun" that won't cost the earth vs the time I'll get to use it

Dup

Dup

Soldato
YOLO. If the family is on board then at worst you find the impracticalities an issue and need to move the car on. Give it a minimum 6 months, how much would you stand to lose and would you care fore the sake of owning what you consider a dream car?

If you have space you could maybe get cheap hatchback as back-up, but probably a pointless exercise.

Man of Honour
OP
The other option is to keep the C63 as well and continue using that as the main family car and the Vantage for my own fun. But given my already small annual mileage, that seems massively overkill

Don
Buy the vantage...I'll let you lend it to me next weekend.

Fixed that for you :p

To the OP, do it. You already have a family car to carry the kids. We downsized to one family car during covid and there has only been a small handful of occasions where we needed two family cars in the years since.

Soldato
It would seem an ideal situation to have a sports car that the children can’t fit into! Sure, they’ll be fighting over who gets to ride in the car when they get a bit older, but who cares!

The only downside is perhaps not getting to drive it enough.

EDIT - I bought a 911 because I always wanted one, the dream for me! Thinking I’d made the smart move in buying something family friendly with back seats we tried numerous baby seats with no luck. Essentially I’ve had a car which only adults can go in for the last 5 years. No regrets apart from the limited usage. My daughter is now forward facing and is so excited to ride in the car. We need to iron out a couple of details but I’m excited to go out for excursions with her. If you can deactivate the front airbag in the AM you’d be fine with the kids in there with a proper child seat.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Not really keen on the 911, the ones I’d want are too old for the money. The AMG would be a similar story, again, a GT R would be the pre facelift with the old style interior, wouldn’t want to go back in to that after being used to the luxuries of the newer interiors.

Plus, again, it all comes back to wanting the Vantage as that dream car. I know they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but I just love them despite the rubbish interiors :p

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want the Vantage, get the Vantage, you already know other cars are 'better'.
A friend has an older AM DB9, but it's one of several vehicles and basically a toy he takes on the occasional blast across Europe.

Soldato
Go for it I say. I almost bought a Vantage a few years ago but with the mileage I did I would have either worn the car out or my wallet in fuel and servicing!

I technically have two 2 seater cars and the other half has the SUV for the boring family stuff.

Soldato
I have a 2007 Vantage which I’ve had had for several years and 2 kids which I’ve had for slightly fewer. I also have a 5 series touring.

I won’t be getting rid of the Vantage.

ETA: not really sure of the point of the thread if you have already decided to buy the car and also have a family car. Worst case, buy a Focus as a second family car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom