2 speeding tickets in one week! what to expect?

Associate
So a couple of weeks ago I was caught off guard by the same mobile camera van on different days and in different locations, first on the dual carriageway and second in a 30 mph limit. This week the office informed me they had received notification from the police as follows .
First was 74mph on the dual carriageway which is 70mph limit and second was 40mph in a 30mph zone ! Also I was driving a transit van which means I shouldn't of been travelling over 60mph on the dual carriageway. What should I expect the outcome from these to be?

Don
I would expect you to get £60 and 3 pts for one of them and a speed awareness course for the other

worst scenario 2 x £60 and 6 points total

Soldato
Mandatory eyesight test I should think :D

Brace yourself for 6 points unless they offer you the course. Fine is £60 for a basic speed offence, and the courses are usually around £100.

Soldato
i didnt think 74 in a 70 would get you.

When i did a speed awareness course (37 in a 30) the instructor said you have 10% discretion before being caught. (Derbyshire Police)

He asked us to raise our hands (at the speed we were caught at) as he read out speeds and the first people to raise there hands where 35's in a 30 zone.

He did say however it depends on the police area how strict they are he said south wales police don't have leniency at all

Soldato
A legitimate serious spanking by a big hairy grumpy high stocking motor oil greased up hair, moustached elf of a policeman with the price tag of £60 and 3 points, if hes not very festive, double that and weep.

Soldato
But I was always under the impression there was 10% leniency on speed limits because car odometers are not perfectly calibrated.

Another urban myth that would be busted on QI?

Associate
But I was always under the impression there was 10% leniency on speed limits because car odometers are not perfectly calibrated.

Another urban myth that would be busted on QI?

There is a guideline, however it is down to the individual officer as to whether they will use that guideline or not.

Baiscally if your act like a complete **** to the officer that pulls you over be prepared to get 3 points and £100 even if it was only 31 in a 30

Man of Honour
There is a guideline, however it is down to the individual officer as to whether they will use that guideline or not.

Baiscally if your act like a complete **** to the officer that pulls you over be prepared to get 3 points and £100 even if it was only 31 in a 30

I'm not sure about all forces, but in Hampshire Officers don't have that discretion any more. We can't give you a ticket for 43 in a 40 or anything below ACPO guidance. If we tried the central ticket office would bounce the ticket.

I've been done for 43 in a 40. :(

When was that? And when you say "done" what do you mean by that?

Soldato
I've been done for 43 in a 40. :(

Everyone knows someone who has been "done" for something like this. 32 in a 30, 43 in a 40, 52 in a 50 etc.
However for all the "I was" and "I know someone who was" I personally am yet to see anyone actually produce any kind of evidence.
I appreciate that if this happened a long time ago then there is no evidence remaining. It's just amazing just how many people apparently "get done" at these very low speeds yet seem unable to back it up.

But there, I've got no reason at all to disbelieve what you've said.

Soldato
I'm not sure about all forces, but in Hampshire Officers don't have that discretion any more. We can't give you a ticket for 43 in a 40 or anything below ACPO guidance. If we tried the central ticket office would bounce the ticket.

When was that? And when you say "done" what do you mean by that?
Meaning I was received a fixed penalty notice for driving in my personal car at 43mph in a 40 limit in 2007 in South Yorkshire.
No BS, no internet 'LULZ', just huge amounts of disbelief and frustration.

I was not offered a speed awareness course as I'd got a previous conviction in 1995.
If it wasn't for my personal circumstances at the time I would have taken it to court, but it would have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Back
Top Bottom