20 years!

Caporegime
Just LOL if you don't take literally any opportunity to suggest that your length of service is more important than the service you've provided (hypothesis unproved).

Just because you're the guy who hangs around the locker rooms for the longest time doesn't make you the team player you think you're pretending to be.

Noobs.

fake e: although I like the OP so he gets a pass because ##science##

Man of Honour
Main things compared to 20 years ago:

• Forum is less tech-centric, less cliquey and has better software
  • I've grown in confidence/self-assuredness a fair bit. Have gone from being an unemployed, single graduate living with my dad to forge a reasonably successful career, own my own house with a wife and two kids
  • Things I used to consider geeky (too embarrasing to share with 'real' people) are now mainstream, such as listening to digital music, playing games online, chatting to people over the internet etc
  • Digital media is everywhere and completely legit compared to being 'dodgy'
  • Usual hardships associated with aging like family bereavements etc
  • My best friend is still the same person
  • I'm much more interested in travel and food than I used to be
  • I now have access to vastly more entertainment (fast internet, loads of movies/games/music/tv etc etc) than I used to, but lack the time to dedicate to it all
  • The computer I'm writing this on is housed in the same case I was using when I signed up to the forums. Literally every other component is different however.
  • The main game I play is the same one I was mostly playing 20 years ago.

Soldato
Politics has never been so polarised in my lifetime. Even when excluding brexit. The above point is probably the primary antagonist. Or Putin. Or both.

I was at a dinner where David Duiguid MP was the guest speaker and he commented on this. Politics is the new religion and the online experience is far more extreme than the real world.

Soldato
My first ocuk purchase was I think in about 1998. I have been on and off the forums since 2000ish.Congrats for having an uninterrupted record!
similar joined prenuke then signed up again a few years later
amazing to see so many forums members with 15-20 years under their belts here though proper sense of community

Associate
20 years is something and when you look back - nice one @Dj_Jestar

Jury service - called up twice about 20 years apart. A six month slog would've have been something, or some harrowing case would be life changing and not an experience to forget.

The first time I was called when I was a student, tried to put it off, which they did. I thought they would forget me - they didn't. Called up 6 months later. Spent most of the time in the waiting room, nothing happened.

The second time, two cases, drugs and fraud. One juror felt sorry for the defendant in one of the cases, so in their infinite wisdom, sought them out to talk...

Said juror was never seen again. Honestly, some people simply don't grasp the responsibility. Very worrying.

Man of Honour
I joined before the big nuke but then couldn't remember my login details and was too busy throwing myself out of planes to rejoin the forums. It certainly has been a comfort blanket to a certain degree, but definitely more of a lurker over the last 10 years. I guess having children and a more busy career re-prioritises your life somewhat.

It is nice to see some familiar names still here though.

Soldato
Same as me (well, almost!) I often wish I could go back in time to be honest. My life is worse in almost every way now than it was back when I was 16/17. Will I be posting on here in another 20 years? I hope so!

Back
Top Bottom