£200 B550 Choices?

Soldato
I have a 3600 and looking to pair it with the latest and greatest B550, but which motherboard should I pull the trigger on as there's quite a few under my budget of £200?

Soldato
Yeah noticed this, however leaning more towards the Tomahawk now after some video reviews on YT.
I do like the tomahawk but i feel its priced a bit higher than it should be but then if your happy thats all that matters in this case.

Soldato
OP
I do like the tomahawk but i feel its priced a bit higher than it should be but then if your happy thats all that matters in this case.

Just pulled the trigger on the Tomahawk, priced at £179.99 I agree with you it's a bit higher than it should be but reviews are very solid and has all the features needed.

Soldato
If you are at that price range why not the x570 boards? Just Curious why ppl are married to the idea of B550. Around £200 mark x570 gives more value for sure

Soldato
The dreaded chipset fan..
Is that an issue? I can see many builds with at least 4 fans, is that chipset fan really going to be heard?

Unless someone is doing a passive build I very doubt that chipset fan is audible. Don’t want to put names out there. But it is clearly some YouTuber’s idea of click baiting.

Soldato
I actually checked off the back of this, as I didn't think mine was a problem.
I've 5 140mm in system 2 on a rad for a Celsius aio+ and then 3 silent wings, 2 in top and 1 in back.
I had not heard the chipset fan, so i looked, and it wasn't running, was a spot alarmed when stress testing, so restarted, and indeed the fan does work, does spin, but it simply never needs to as the system is cool enough to not need it in use.
So I'm happy enough.

Soldato
I actually checked off the back of this, as I didn't think mine was a problem.
I've 5 140mm in system 2 on a rad for a Celsius aio+ and then 3 silent wings, 2 in top and 1 in back.
I had not heard the chipset fan, so i looked, and it wasn't running, was a spot alarmed when stress testing, so restarted, and indeed the fan does work, does spin, but it simply never needs to as the system is cool enough to not need it in use.
So I'm happy enough.
It's probably not getting toasty enough unless you drop a gen 4 SSD in.

Soldato
It's probably not getting toasty enough unless you drop a gen 4 SSD in.
Still won’t be hot. Current Gen 4 nvme don’t actually run that fast. Also a few fast drives is unlikely to yank the power draw requirements so high that it needs constant active cooling unless you are planning on running you machine as a small enterprise data centre.

b550 and x570 are technically the same thing - an IO chip. X570 has some additional PCIe 4 lanes enabled and that’s all. B550 chips don’t have active cooling and they also support 2 pcie4 nvme like many x570s.

don’t listen to scaremongers, and hear-say and tech voodoos. Listen to real people with real experiences ie ppl who are running the damn boards.

Associate
The dreaded chipset fan..

I've never heard it on my X570 Tomahawk. It spins on boot up and sits idle the rest of the time even when I'm running a stress test...

Oh and the NVME card is a 1tb Sabrent PCIe 4.0 so that doesn't add heat either.

Back
Top Bottom