£200 B550 Choices?

Associate
Is that an issue? I can see many builds with at least 4 fans, is that chipset fan really going to be heard?

Unless someone is doing a passive build I very doubt that chipset fan is audible. Don’t want to put names out there. But it is clearly some YouTuber’s idea of click baiting.

Never heard mine over the last 12 months lol

I've never heard it on my X570 Tomahawk. It spins on boot up and sits idle the rest of the time even when I'm running a stress test...

Oh and the NVME card is a 1tb Sabrent PCIe 4.0 so that doesn't add heat either.

I have the X570 Tomahawk, I was just poking fun at the widely held opinion that the chipset fan is a point of failure and a huge source of noise.

I don't understand why anyone would spend close to £200 on a B550 when that's the price of a good X570. I'd be looking at a B450 up to £100, B550 up to £150 and anything above I'd go for an X570.

Soldato
I have the X570 Tomahawk, I was just poking fun at the widely held opinion that the chipset fan is a point of failure and a huge source of noise.

I don't understand why anyone would spend close to £200 on a B550 when that's the price of a good X570. I'd be looking at a B450 up to £100, B550 up to £150 and anything above I'd go for an X570.
That’s fair dues. Total agree with the rationale of choosing board based on price bracket and features.

If anyone is choosing a motherboard based on a chipset fan has got to be losing their plot really.

Associate
I picked up an Asus Strix B550-F WiFi for the other half with a 3600. Not sure if the promo is still on but there was quite a bit of cashback which made it a good buy compared to the X570 (£40+£25 for leaving a review). Was an easy build and haven't had any problems with it after the first week, so fingers crossed it just keep going for years.

Caporegime
The dreaded chipset fan..
It makes me sad when I read things like this. The X570 chipset fan on my mobo, and everyone else's I have asked, NEVER spins up except at boot for 5 seconds. otherwise the heatsink works passively and silently. It is there as a safety measure in case of overheating and the temps it reaches never get close to hitting the fan curve on my board.

People are spending £200 on an inferior B550 motherboard based on false assumptions and inaccurate information.

Last edited:
Associate
It makes me sad when I read things like this. The X570 chipset fan on my mobo, and everyone else's I have asked, NEVER spins up except at boot for 5 seconds. otherwise the heatsink works passively and silently. It is there as a safety measure in case of overheating and the temps it reaches never get close to hitting the fan curve on my board.

People are spending £200 on an inferior B550 motherboard based on false assumptions and inaccurate information.

Inferior?
Seems a bit harsh when the mboards are pretty much identical.
Here its a 60 euro difference between them.
The b550 has 2 vrms less and the lanes for pci-e 4 and some ports.
For anyone that does not use those extra then the mboards will perform the same.
The difference in vrm is 2c in temps.
Prove me wrong about the inferior choice

Caporegime
Inferior?
Seems a bit harsh when the mboards are pretty much identical.
Here its a 60 euro difference between them.
The b550 has 2 vrms less and the lanes for pci-e 4 and some ports.
For anyone that does not use those extra then the mboards will perform the same.
The difference in vrm is 2c in temps.
Prove me wrong about the inferior choice

Not sure if serious.

Rup

Rup

Associate
I bought a x570 mobo as want to run multiple m.2's, which if I did on a B550 would set my pciexpress gpu to run at x8. Also only a few £ more.
If you have Radeon 5700 then no issue as pci 4 at x8 is same as pci 3 at x16... i think!

Soldato

It does seem to depend on which board you have though. I've read reports of some X570 boards having very annoying chipset fans, though perhaps BIOS updates may have been released for some of them to help with it since then (I know the Impact had one to solve its noisy fans). And whilst it's accurate to say that B550 boards are inferior in terms of the chipset's capabilities, most of them are straight improvements over similarly-priced X570 boards in terms of VRM quality, plus many have 2.5G LAN whereas most cheaper X570 ones don't. If you don't plan on running more than one graphics card or PCIe 4.0 SSD then you're not really losing out on anything, so the improvements to other areas may make them a better buy than X570 boards in the same price range.

Soldato
And whilst it's accurate to say that B550 boards are inferior in terms of the chipset's capabilities, most of them are straight improvements over similarly-priced X570 boards in terms of VRM quality, plus many have 2.5G LAN whereas most cheaper X570 ones don't. If you don't plan on running more than one graphics card or PCIe 4.0 SSD then you're not really losing out on anything, so the improvements to other areas may make them a better buy than X570 boards in the same price range.
Fair £150 level is definitely where B550 boards shine, but not at £200 level.
Average user without NAS is unlikely to ever need that 2.5G LAN, until that motherboard and PC has anyway become outdated.

I bought a Asus rog strix b550 didn’t know any different tbh how longs the X570 been out then it more recent than b550?
B550 is the newcomer (because of being over year late) while X570 came out year ago.

Associate
Fair £150 level is definitely where B550 boards shine, but not at £200 level.
Average user without NAS is unlikely to ever need that 2.5G LAN, until that motherboard and PC has anyway become outdated.

B550 is the newcomer (because of being over year late) while X570 came out year ago.

Ah right ok that sort of explains it then I might of gone for a x570 if i knew what was what at the time... but didnt look into it as much as I should have done. rushed into buying the whole system. Im happy with the Asus b550 rog strix though

Associate
The dreaded chipset fan..

I don't get this myth about the 'dreaded' chipset fan - I've only ever heard mine for a second or two as the board goes through POST, I've never heard it spin up in day to day use, even during heavy gaming. And certainly on the x570 Tomahawk, the fan can be disconnected if it bothers you that much as it has its own fan header.

If you're willing to spend £200 on a B550, it is worth considering an x570 board.

Soldato
Just bought this at the weekend for £176. The B550 are overpriced having looked at everything out there and decided on an X570.

Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
AMD AM4 X570 ATX gaming motherboard with PCIe 4.0, dual M.2, 14 Dr. MOS power stages, HDMI, DP, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Gen 2 and Aura Sync RGB lighting.

Back
Top Bottom