2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Man of Honour
OP
Shame - Imola is one of several tracks I wouldn't mind losing off the F1 calander. I'd prefer to have some older tracks back again instead of that - or even..*dare I say it* more tracks like Turkey.

If they must invest in Imola - Bring back Tamburello to it's former glory I say! It scared drivers - it used to be a beast of a corner...

Now it's a wussie chicane. :( We need more balls-out corners like Eau-rouge in F1 again.

Simon/~Flibster

Associate
I spotted the new BMW running an Iley wing so somebody else feels it's worth a try.

_41235480_villeneuveap203.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Should we be worried?

Whatever one thinks about GP Masters, the series looks set to continue, following last year's event at Kyalami.

The series proved popular with race fans at the track and on TV, even though one has to wonder where the series is eventually heading, after all, Nigel, Emerson, Riccardo and friends can only continue racing for so long.

Today, series organizers have announced the 2006 schedule, and Nigel Mansell is clearly ecstatic at the thought:

"To add more chapters to the history we made at our sell-out event in South Africa is sensational news," said the Englishman, in the official press release, "and I for one cannot wait to get back into action!"

Much has been made of the fact that the series will visit Silverstone and Monza, both of which have played a significant role in the Englishman's (mostly) illustrious career.

The media, certainly in Britain, has been quick to jump on the bandwagon, particularly salivating at the thought of 'the peoples champion' returning to the scene of some of his most glorious moments.

However, in all the euphoria are we alone in wondering if we should be worried?

We know that Bernie Ecclestone is keen to drop a race in both Germany and Italy, both of which currently host two rounds of the World Championship, while his feelings towards Silverstone are well documented.

When the organizers of the A1 GP series were setting up the inaugural championship, it soon became clear that circuits which form part of the Formula One World Championship would not be able to host A1 events, since Bernie Ecclestone has the final say in what types of single-seater events F1 tracks can host, it is wriiten into the contracts.

Therefore, are we to surmise that Bernie Ecclestone is giving the thumbs up to GP Masters, or is it possible that both tracks could soon be disappearing from the F1 calendar? Let's not forget, as previously reported, Imola, which hosts the San Marino Grand Prix, is planning a major upgrade.

In all the excitement of the thought of Mansell returning to Silverstone, are we alone in wondering why Bernie appears to have given the race the green light?

Man of Honour
Flibster said:
Shame - Imola is one of several tracks I wouldn't mind losing off the F1 calander. I'd prefer to have some older tracks back again instead of that - or even..*dare I say it* more tracks like Turkey.

I've always quite liked Imola, at least in its original form. Its major problem has always been location, if the track was anywhere other than Italy, Belgium, Japan or the UK it would probably be the major circuit in that country but when you're fighting against Monza you're always going to lose.

I've never really thought of an ideal set of tracks for a season so here goes and we'll be having 16 if you don't mind, none of this give Bernie a bung and we'll have 17, 18 or 19 malarky.

1. Spa (well duh!)
2. Monza
3. Suzuka
4. Silverstone
5. Monaco
6. Istanbul
7. Paul Ricard
8. Oesterrieichring (OK, you try spelling that this early in the morning)
9. Turkey
10. Watkins Glen
11. Hockenheim (1972 version please, no Ostkurve Chicane)
12. Zandvoort
13. Imola
14. Dijon
15. Mexico City
16. Interlagos (1970's long version)

Bit of a pattern there I think, it's either big sweeping curves or long straights and biiiig stops.

Man of Honour
OP
Pedro prepared to give up on F1

McLaren test driver Pedro de la Rosa is hoping to be back in a competitive race seat next season and if he cant find one in the pinnacle of Motorsports, then he is more than willing to cross the Atlantic to join the ChampCar series instead.

After racing for Arrows and Jaguar, Pedro joined McLaren in 2003 and has put in a lot of mileage for the Woking based squad and while he loves doing what he does, the urge to return to racing is strong and one he is willing to leave F1 in order to satisfy.

The Spaniard did admit that he has had contact with other teams already, however nothing eventuated for 2006…

"If by 2007 I haven't found a good drive in Formula One it will be time to leave. There was contact with other teams, but nothing came out of it,” he admitted to Europa Press. “That's the reason why I'm staying at McLaren."

Man of Honour
OP
Horner: 'No pain, no gain'

Red Bull boss Christian Horner insists his team's first test of their 2006 car was "worth a bit of pain" after a troublesome debut.

The new Ferrari-powered machine went through its first proper tests at Jerez last week after a brief shakedown at Silverstone in December.

However, Red Bull struggled to cure an overheating problem, eventually resorting to cutting holes in the bodywork to help cool the car.

Despite those troubles, Horner was pleased with the RB2's progress and felt encouraged ahead of his team's second season in Formula One.

He said: "By the end of the test, we had completed some valuable mileage with the car and after some initial teething problems were pleased with the initial feedback.

"The car is very much an interim machine in terms of its aerodynamic package.

"The whole point of getting our new car out so early was to learn as much as possible about running with a V8 engine well before the start of the season.

"On that front, we are very pleased with the job that Ferrari is doing.

"We always knew that the lessons learnt by running the car early would be worth a bit of pain and overall I'd say it's looking very encouraging."

Man of Honour
OP
Ron Dennis won't quit - Richards

For the past one or two years, the odd rumour has done the rounds that McLaren boss Ron Dennis is eying retirement.

The Briton, and 30 per cent owner of the entire McLaren Group, will turn 59 this year, but whispers of him stepping down and watching his Woking team operate from a distance are usually digested with a pinch of salt.

Ron's right hand man, Martin Whitmarsh, once said that he imagines his boss being 'Zimmer-framed' to his pit perch.

It is an image that Dennis' former counterpart in team principal meetings, ex-BAR boss David Richards, probably shares.

Richards told F1 Racing magazine that he doesn't believe occasional paddock gossip that Ron might quit.

'He's still probably the most competitive person in the paddock,' he said. 'I know he sometimes talks about wanting a quieter life, but that's different from actually doing it, isn't it?'

DR added: 'I think his hand will remain firmly on the tiller for some time.'

Man of Honour
OP
Ecclestone meets with Hockenheim boss

Hockenheim is fighting to retain the race

Hockenheim chief Dieter Gummer has met with Bernie Ecclestone in London.

According to the Stuttgarter Nachrichten newspaper, the talks this week centred on the future of the German Grand Prix, after the venue ran into financial turmoil.

It is not known what was discussed in the F1 supremo's English office, but the 75-year-old has been linked with taking over the promotion of the race.

There has been talk of Hockenheim and Nurburgring alternating the hosting of the German Grand Prix, but as it stands, both circuits still have a contract to host the German and European Grand Prix respectively.

Man of Honour
OP
Toyota tech chief questions Red Bull juniors

Mike Gascoyne has expressed concern that Scuderia Toro Rosso's winter test car is the Red Bull racer from 2005.

The Toyota technical director, who also criticised the former Minardi team's intention to use a performance-limited V10 this year, told Reuters that he questions the actual legality of Faenza based STR's agenda.

"Under the Concorde Agreement it is quite clear that each team has to be a constructor," the Briton told the news agency.

Gascoyne said: "If one guy owns two teams, that's still two separate teams."

But while that is undeniably true of actual grands prix, very few FIA regulations actual police teams' procedures at private tests.

Moreover, the second Dietrich Mateschitz-owned camp do intend to construct an all-new car for 2006, and one that is neither based on the 2005 'RB1' Red Bull car, or the Minardi.

"The (STR) car that debuts in Bahrain will be fully built in Faenza," Red Bull Racing's technical operations director Gunther Steiner said recently.

Man of Honour
OP
Ranstad deal for Williams

Williams today announced that the Randstad Group, one of the largest temporary and contract staffing organisations in the world, has concluded a contract to partner the team into the medium term.

Randstad’s core business is in the provision and development of human capital, the lifeblood of any successful organisation. Success in Formula One demands the very best people performing at their optimum, consistent with Randstad’s unparalleled ability to attract, coach and retain talented people for its global client base.

As an official supplier, the Randstad brand will feature within the team environment, including the trucks and garage wallboards.

Importantly, Randstad will be using its association with WilliamsF1 to communicate its competencies to an international audience and emphasise the fundamental role that talented people make to organisational success.

The fast-growing Randstad Group, which generated revenues of €5.8 billion in 2004, with a net income of € 199.6 million, showed net growth year-on-year of 15% in the third quarter of 2005.

Currently, almost a quarter of a million people are placed in employment by Randstad every day, managed and co-ordinated by Randstad’s 2,410 global branches. The company is a market leader in territories including Belgium, Germany, Poland, the Netherlands and in the south-eastern regions of the United States.

On the confirmation of the partnership, Team Principal Frank Williams said,
“We have long acknowledged that our achievements over the past three decades have been born out of the commitment and tenacity of our remarkable workforce. We are delighted therefore to form this important association with Randstad and assist them in the communication of the message that people are the core to success.”

Randstad's CEO, Ben Noteboom, commented:
"We are delighted to be able to announce this partnership with the WilliamsF1 Team. With a long history of innovation and success, and its status as one of the few remaining independent teams in F1, the Williams ethos dovetails well with our strategy to bring people further, and to strive for perfection. Because we are active worldwide, the partnership will offer a unique platform to highlight Randstad’s brand position as human, yet competitive. We are really looking forward to working with WilliamsF1."

Man of Honour
OP
Breaking news...Belgian Grand Prix is off

According to reports breaking this morning in the Belgian press, the Belgian Grand Prix will not take place this year. The former minister of economy, Serge Kubla is reported as saying he has received confirmation the race is off from Bernie Ecclestone's people.

The negotiations between Ecclestone and the group of Walloon organizers are still going on. Top of the demand list is improving and extending the paddock area. According to Kubla, there is not enough time to build a new paddock ahead of this summer's race and that is the main reason the Grand Prix will not be held.

Kubla thinks the government reacted too late. "They left the it until the last moment. They made things worse and started negotiations for a new contract, while that was not the main problem."

Kubla also said the government should start working now, to make sure the Belgian Grand Prix is back on the calendar in 2007.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

Man of Honour
OP
Dutch Guy said:
Who cares, they have been using the current one for ages, why should a damn paddock matter to the race :mad:

And it's still better than the new pit and paddock at Monaco...

Hell - Silverstone is better than Monaco...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
Dutch Guy said:
Who cares, they have been using the current one for ages, why should a damn paddock matter to the race :mad:

It doesn't however if the wee gnome can see the general public from anywhere in the paddock it's not big enough for him.

{EDIT}

Where does short round actually think the circuits get funding from? The GPs are the only meetings which circuits get close to a sell out for and then all the money goes towards Bernie's bill. Does he actually think 60000 turn up and pay £100 each for a national FFord meeting at Silverstone??? The European circuits are probably lucky to make 6 figures of profit from a GP yet they're expected to match the government funded developments in the middle and far east for facilities. And how long will they last? Malaysia is likely to be less than half full again this year, will the government continue to fund the GP forever? I doubt it.

It's about time that Bernie looked beyond the gold plated walls of his motorhome and took a long hard look at what he's done to the finances of the underpinnings of the sport.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Officially no news on Belgian Grand Prix

According to reports elsewhere, the 2006 Belgian Grand Prix has been cancelled.

However, these reports are based on the comments of a Belgian politician who has a reputation as being something of a 'loose cannon'.

As of Friday afternoon, the FIA is unaware of any change to the circumstances surrounding the Belgian Grand Prix, while F1 supremo, Bernie Ecclestone, is out of the country.

Therefore although there might be reports that the event, something of a political football in Belgium, has been cancelled, none of this is official.

In last year's FIA survey, 53% of fans said their interest in Formula One would decrease if Spa were to be removed from the Championship. Popularity wise, the Belgian track was only beaten by Monaco.

Man of Honour
OP
Fry: Engine rules not set in stone

Honda Racing’s CEO Nick Fry says the FIA could change the technical specification of V10 engines at short notice if the current ‘equivalency formula’ proves to be unfair.

The governing body has already laid down restrictions on 3-litre V10 engines designed to cut their power output back to around 750bhp and put them on a level pegging with the new breed of 2.4-litre V8s.

But with Scuderia Toro Rosso taking up the option of running V10s, there has been concern from rival teams that it will still have a significant power advantage.

Fry claims the FIA has given assurances that it will take further action to equalise performance if necessary.

“We have to wait and see if the equivalency formula is fair,” he told autosport.com.

“At the moment, those running V8s feel that the restriction is a bit too generous, so we need to find out what is the exact figure.

“I know there are tests being done and we’re just leaving it to the FIA to determine what is fair.

“[FIA president] Max Mosley and [FIA technical delegate] Charlie Whiting made it clear that they would adjust the equivalency formula if necessary at 24 hours’ notice.

“They always said the figure may change, because they want to make it fair.

“So at this stage we’ll just leave it and see what happens.”

Several teams are working with the governing body to help establish the appropriate equivalency formula, although Fry confirmed that Honda opted not to take part.

“Toyota volunteered to do tests; we could have done it too, but we chose not to, and we’re comfortable with that,” Fry said.

“Midland did the test at various levels and already presented the data to the FIA.

“The FIA will now make a decision. Hopefully it will come out fair – fair to everybody. That is all we ask.”

Man of Honour
OP
Murray: Jenson is no Mansell

Formula 1 commentating legend Murray Walker says Jenson Button lacks the showman’s touch necessary to become a hero figure like fellow Brit Nigel Mansell.

‘Our Nige’s’ devil-may-care exploits in the 1980s and early 1990s generated an unprecedented level of public following and attracted crowds of more than 150,000 to the British Grand Prix.

Button has yet to win a similar army of devoted fans.

“The nearest we have to a new Nigel Mansell is, of course, Jenson,” Walker told Sunday newspaper The People.

“But I don’t see Button ever replacing Mansell in the British public’s affections because of the sort of personality Nigel has.

“He’s a tremendous showman who knows the importance of the fans and does everything he can in the way of talking to them, autographs, photographs and that sort of thing.”

Walker regards 2006 as a make-or-break year for Button, who has yet to win a grand prix in 100 attempts.

Murray believes it is vital Button asserts himself over Honda Racing team-mate Rubens Barrichello if he is to continue to be regarded as a potential world champion.

“This is a crunch year for Jenson because if he can’t beat Barrichello, it’s debatable whether he can become world champion [in the future],” Walker said.

“Jenson is an extremely nice bloke but he has yet to win a grand prix.

“I’m not saying he can’t – I’m sure he can, given the right car.

“Hopefully, this year, with all the backing Honda are putting into the team, he will have the car to win – provided he can beat Barrichello.”

Frankly - damn good thing....

Ok..he's got more facial hair and has done less in F1 than Mansell - but he has a personality!

I don't want Mansell clones in F1 - I don't think it'd work now. It's too..corporate.

Back
Top Bottom