2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

I quite like the look of that McLaren, a fair amount has to do with the colour scheme but even so it's clear that it's not the ugliest they've ever produced (I think it's fair to say the MP4-10 wins that by a country mile).

There's a distinct resemblance to the still-born MP4-18 in the nose but the monocoque is a little squarer on top, that may be due to the crash test requirements as McLaren have a history of going for a small monocoque with strakes or fins to increase the dimensions to the FIA stipulated values. The rear has the now familiar vacant look of the RB2 & R26, this looks to be due to the smaller airbox sprouting a dorsal fin to keep the airflow together towards the rear wing. The fin seems to overhang the gearbox in a way that suggests there's something missing from the bodywork. The horns remain,
the reason for this is unclear. I would have thought that the tighter rear end would have improved the airflow to the rear wing such that it wouldn't be necessary to steer the air as much as last year however I'm no Adrian Newey so I assume that there must be a suitably compelling argument for leaving them there. The question is when will we see them on the RB2?

I've only got one problem with the MP4-21 and it's a wierd one I admit - Minichamps have already announced a set of 4 1/18th scale orange MP4-20 models which I already have on order. I have a nasty feeling that there will be a set of orange -21s in time and I'm not sure if I have the space or cash for another set...

The anti-tobacco forces rally

Marlboro and Mild Seven are now the only tobacco firms left sponsoring cars in Formula 1. MF1 Racing has yet to unveil its full package of funding but there seems little sign that Benson & Hedges will be back. Mild Seven is rumoured to be leaving the sport at the end of 2006 and that means that Marlboro may end up being the only tobacco company left. There are some races which have done special deals to allow the Formula 1 cars to run with tobacco branding but this process cannot last forever. On February 6 in Geneva, Switzerland, a conference will begin at which the signatories of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (167 countries and the European Community signed up to the deal and 117 have so far ratified the agreement). Those 117 countries will be represented at the first Conference of the Parties and the discussions will centre on how to push ahead with the implementation of the treaty, establishing a permanent secretariat, monitoring and reporting on progress and discussing how to tighten up the rules. According to the WHO tobacco continues to be the largest entirely preventable cause of mortality, accounting for almost five million deaths every year. The WHO says that this figure could double by 2020 if nothing is done.

Countries which have signed up to the deal but are now trying to find a way of excluding F1 from the agreement are likely to come in for heavy criticism.

It is also worth noting that despite its sponsorship announcement Marlboro is committed to leaving motorsport at the end of 2006, having agreed to the International Tobacco Products Marketing Standards which defined the minimum restrictions which the companies agreed to place on themselves worldwide. It was signed on September 11 2001 by representatives of Philip Morris, British American Tobacco and Japan Tobacco and created a common code of advertising and sponsorship standards which included an agreement to end sports sponsorships on December 1 2006 on the understanding that the sport involved requires "above-average physical fitness for someone of the age group of those taking part".

There is no doubt that Formula 1 is in this category. It may be that Marlboro will step back at the end of 2006 and will sell its space on the Ferraris to other companies but the fact that Vodafone quit Ferrari because it could not get title sponsorship suggests that this is not going to be the case. In that case Marlboro will have not only the WHo but also rival tobacco firms on its tail in the years ahead.

Winkelhock lands Friday role

A fourth German is set to join the formula one circus this year, with 25-year-old Markus Winkelhock on the verge of landing the 2006 'Friday' test seat at Midland.

The highly-promising driver, who incidentally does not carry a huge purse of personal sponsorship, lands the ride after Dutchman Nicky Pastorelli's backing went sour.

Markus is the son of Manfred Winkelhock, the late grand prix driver of the 80s who died in a sports car race in 1985.

He has secured a one-year contract for the Russian-owned 'MF1' squad, thus joining countrymen Nico Rosberg, Nick Heidfeld, and the Schumacher brothers, in the F1 category.

"On Fridays before races," Winkelhock told Germany's 'Bild' newspaper, "I will show what I can do. But now, I must work on building up my neck muscles."

MF1 teams up with Zim

MF1 Racing is pleased to announce a partnership agreement with Zim Integrated Shipping Services, one of the world's largest container shipping companies. Zim's distinctive 'seven star' logo will appear on the Midland Toyota M16 throughout the 2006 World Championship season.

"Zim is a progressive, global company that we are proud to welcome as a team partner," said Colin Kolles, MF1 Racing's Managing Director. "Zim's core values - a commitment to excellence through quality, team work and efficiency, as well as their competitive orientation - parallel MF1 Racing's. This is a very good fit that will benefit both organizations."

"Zim's vision is to be a leading competitive global shipping and logistics company, setting high-level standards in the industry - a company with goals and values our employees and partners can identify with," stated Doron Goder, President & CEO of Zim Integrated Shipping Industries. "In many ways, Formula One racing is a lot like shipping: it requires strategy, dedication and precision. For us, it is an excellent marketing platform. We believe that associating our company with a dynamic, motivated team such as MF1 Racing is a perfect way to raise Zim's brand profile globally."

Zim offers transportation services along most major international trading routes to customers throughout the world. Zim operates an intermodal system which combines sea, land, and air transportation, enabling the company to provide fast, reliable, frequent, and complete door-to-door services around the world.

Want to see Grand Prix on DVD

Fans of John Frankenheimer's famous 1966 movie "Grand Prix" have been frustrated that the film is not available on DVD. The rights to the movie are now owned by Warner Home Video which says it has no plans to put the film on DVD because there has been no requests for that to happen. There are however fans who would like to see that happen and so anyone who would like to sign up to a petition for the film should go to www.grandprixondvd.com and fill in the online petition so that an apprach can be made to Warner to show that there is a market out there which wants to see the film available in the new format.

Matsuura out of Super Aguri running.

Kosuke Matsuura has effectively removed himself from contention in the race to land the second Super Aguri F1 seat alongside expected team leader Takuma Sato by re-signing for the squad's Indy Racing League line-up.

Super Aguri Fernandez Racing team owners Aguri Suzuki - who runs the nascent F1 operation - and Adrian Fernandez confirmed Matsuura's IRL return overnight, inking the Japanese driver's name to the #55 Panasonic ARTA Dallara-Honda.

Matsuura was the second name to be linked to the second seat at Super Aguri F1, after Honda test driver Anthony Davidson, but has since been joined on the 'possibles' list by fellow countrymen Yuji Ide and Sakon Yamamoto. Perhaps unsure of the F1 team's participation following the delay in confirming its entry, he has now opted to return to the IRL series he has graced for the past two seasons, leaving Ide as most people's tip to partner Sato - at least for the first part of the season.

Schumi is my rival not hero says Nico

Williams young gun, Nico Rosberg, says that while he still admires Michael Schumacher he does not hold the German driver as one of his hero’s.

Rosberg was very much still a child when Schumacher won his first of seven World titles but says they are now opponents and therefore he will look at the German great as an equal.

'But I can no longer say he's my hero,' the 20 year-old told Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen TV, 'because he is my competitor. And you should not idolise your rivals.

'But I admire him for everything he has achieved, and for his talent.'

Rosberg had not planned on becoming a race driver, like his father Keke Rosberg, but rather to study physics, aerodynamics more specifically. He had great school results and was heading for the Imperial College in London before the racing bug bit him.

'It doesn't matter,' he said smiling.

'I can pursue my interest in physics in Formula One!'

Ferrari launches its 2006 contender

In a break with recent tradition, Ferrari has officially launched its latest contender at the race-track, rather than at its racing HQ.

The Italian team's 2006 contender was unveiled at Mugello, a week after making its track debut at Fiorano, where Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa both drove the car.

ferrari248-1.jpg

ferrari248-2.jpg

ferrari248-3.jpg

Top designer staying with Ferrari

Ferrari designer Rory Byrne has committed himself to the team for two more years in a consultant capacity and Technical director, Ross Brawn, has hinted that he would like to extend his stay at the team.

Byrne’s contract was due to expire this year but he has now been offered and accepted a new deal. Aldo Costa has replaced Byrne at Ferrari and is completely responsible for the new 248 F1 car which was unveiled on Tuesday at Mugello.

"With this car, we've made the final step we wanted to make where Aldo is totally responsible," technical director Ross Brawn said at a news conference.

"Rory is assuming a new position at Ferrari, he has agreed to stay with Ferrari for another two years. Rory will stay as a consultant working on projects that we agree together, primarily looking at projects for the future of Ferrari," he said.

"Rory's got huge experience and we want to use that to our advantage."

Costa has had some criticism from the media this year following Ferrari’s poor showing but his team are still very happy with him and his work.

"No-one deserves the position he's got more than he does," said the South African designer Byrne.

Brawn echoed Byrnes comments saying that their would be no changes in he aerodynamics group.

"Perhaps overall one or two other teams made more progress in 2005 but I think you will see with this car, and the same people and same team, that they've done a very good job," he declared.

"We are happy with the people we have. if we make any changes it won't be replacements but a strengthening of the organisation."

Brawn has been win Ferrari since 1996 and has said he would like to continue to work at Ferrari without saying that it would happen.

"As to my role in the future, we are discussing that at the moment. I'm very happy at Ferrari, very pleased with the way things are and would very much like to be involved with Ferrari in the future," he said.

Jean Todt's contract is set to expire at the end of the year and he remains tight lipped about any development with him, choosing rather to focus on the upcoming season.

Super Aguri's future headquarters?

We hear from our spies that Super Aguri F1's headquarters will not be at Leafield for very long and that the long-term plan is for the team to move to Brackley, just up the road from the Honda Racing F1 factory. We also hear that Honda Racing Developments in Bracknell, Berkshire, will eventually be relocated to Brackley as well so that everything is in the same basic location. The Bracknell facility was opened when it was thought that Honda would run its own team, back in 1998.

Our spies tell us that the plan is for the engine operation to be housed next to the existing Honda Racing F1 factory while Super Aguri F1 would find a new home in a new development which is being planned at Brackley Sawmills, at the northern end of the town. A property development company has already applied for permission to demolish the existing buildings on the site and construct a business park which would include light industrial facilities, research and development and offices. According to the local newspaper, the site might also include a leisure and conference centre, a creche and parkland. The application said that the park could create up to 1000 jobs.

We hear, incidentally, that the Menard facility in Leafield does not belong to Menard but was leased on a longterm deal from the receivers who could not determine the ownership of the property company that actually owns the land.

Talk about eyes on stalks mirrors! The cynical side of me wants to say that Ferrari are resigned to having to watch their backs in 2006 but the realist says they're trying to get them out of the airflow to the rear wing.

Lots of Vodafone sponsorship but as Intel have already shown there's nothing to stop you branding 2 teams.

What's quite obvious is the rear end packaging seems less compact than the RB2 despite the common engine.

My old man knows Rory Byrne quite well - since the old Toleman days. The teams' local used to be owned by my dad. Think Senna apparently visited the place whilst with Toleman.

Got memories of him sparked out at the bar with serviettes tied in his hair :)

Jean Todt: "The 248 will be a great stimulus for us all"

This year too, the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro's Direttore Generale appeared at the launch of the new F1 car. Jean Todt responded to the questions posed by the international media at the press conference to present the new 248 F1. "Seeing the new car", he began, "with the new sponsor logos and, above all, the numbers 5 and 6, is a return for us to a distant past. It will be a great incentive to improve. The entire squad wants to get back to top spot".

As to the performance of the new car, Todt was quite cagey. He stated that he was hopeful but, at the same time, waiting for the real test against the other teams. Responding to a question regarding his future with Ferrari after 2006, the Direttore Generale preferred to stay on theme and discussed the team's chances in the coming season.

Related to this, the detailed test programme was shown to the press pack. Owing to the chilly conditions at Mugello, the official drivers could get behind the wheel tomorrow with Marc Genè in Barcelona and then Valencia, Bahrein and Jerez before the start of the season.

These tests will see the 248 on track, a car that now only exists as a single example, flanking last year's model. Todt had some words of praise for Ferrari's new driver, Felipe Massa. It was revealed that he was a very fast learner, a humble person and who displayed a good work ethic in a team. Massa should be completely at ease with the squad in a short space of time. As to Valentino Rossi testing the new car at Valencia, Todt stated that this may be possible, but not 100% definite".

New Ferrari 'radical' according to designers.

The traditional Ferrari launch ceremony may have been transplanted from Maranello to Mugello in order to facilitate the team's test and development programme, but that did not lessen the media's enthusiasm for the event, in which the new 248 model was officially unveiled.

Despite returning to the team's former identification policy to reflect the return to the use of V8 engines - 248 standing for 2.4-litre V8 - designers Aldo Costa, and Rory Byrne, along with technical director Ross Brawn, were quick to point out that the new car was anything but retrospective.

"We imposed a radical change from both a mechanical and aerodynamic point of view, mainly due to the V8 engine," Costa revealed, "The aerodynamics are still at a preliminary stage and will be until the first race of the season, but the chassis is totally new, above all in the centre section.

"We decided on this in order to optimise the weight distribution and lighten the entire structure.The same goes for the suspension, especially in the completely redesigned rear end. The transmission, too, is all new, and constructed from composite materials, as is the differential. In building these two new elements in particular, we had to pay close attention to the characteristics of the V8, and the greater vibrations generated by the engine brought more initial problems.

Ferrari will let me win, says Massa
Felipe Massa is looking clinch his first Grand Prix victory this season, and the Brazilian believes Ferrari will give him the chance to do that.

24-year-old Massa is replacing Rubens Barrichello, who moved to Honda after six season in Ferrari, where he was largely considered the number two driver, behind world champion Michael Schumacher.

Asked at the Ferrari launch today at Mugello whether he would also play a supporting role to teammate Michael Schumacher, Massa said: "The ambition is to win at all times. My first aim is to get my first podium and the second is to get my first victory. After that the championship, and then we'll see.

"What's important is to keep your feet on the ground at all times. This is my first opportunity to get in a top team, and it's a great opportunity to get in a top team like Ferrari.

"I'd say a team like this must have both drivers always getting as many points as possible, so I'm sure Ferrari will push for both drivers to have a chance to win and to finish as high as possible, to get points for the championship.

"So I'll try to do my best and will try to get to the top as soon as possible and show what I'm able to do."

Massa said his primary aim is to capitalise on the opportunity of driving for Ferrari, and he admitted he has been lucky to land the drive at such a young age.

"It's a good satisfaction to get in a team like Ferrari at 24 years of age," the Brazilian said. "This has come quicker than I imagined, but the important thing is to be here, and we must concentrate on getting the best possible result.

"In my life I got very quickly to where I wanted: I got to F1 at 21 and did three years of single seaters before that. Things have come quickly, but I'm happy to arrive at Ferrari with a bit of experience as race driver in another team.

"I've also been lucky to be able to do one year as test driver here at Ferrari. I learned a lot and met the people here. I have been well received and I have a good relationship with everyone. It's impressive to get inside Ferrari and see the organization here and the level of work.

"But now it's important to concentrate on having a good first race, and to immediately be competitive."

I think the phrase I'm looking for is "Yeah, right......"

248F1 to run at Barcelona
Ferrari will put their new 2006 challenger to the test and run the 248 F1 car against its rivals at Barcelona for two days this week.

"We'll go testing in Barcelona with the new car on Thursday and Friday," a team spokesman told autosport.com, adding that Michael Schumacher will be doing the driving at the Spanish track.

Earlier in the day, Ferrari team chief Jean Todt said the team were contemplating their testing schedule.

"It's obvious the conditions here at Mugello don't allow us to do what we want, because it's too cold," the Frenchman told a news conference. "So we'll decide today whether we need to change programme and go already to Barcelona."

Todt also confirmed the team will be testing next month in Bahrain, after running in Valencia next week.

An unusual move by Ferrari who traditionally have run behind closed doors or at least on their own pre-season. With both the 248F1 and the MP4-21 launching in the same week both teams will be on an almost equal stage in their test programmes so we'll get as accurate a comparision as we'll see ahead of the new season.

248 F1

Radical...hmm I think not. I certainly don't think its enough to recapture the Championship. Here's hoping that JV can rocket the BMW into pole position ;-)

Comparing the Ferrari 248 F1, McLaren MP4-21, Red Bull RB2 and the BMW whatever it's called...

The Ferrari fromt he outside is the most traditional - the rear is positively bulging compared to the RB2 which is running the same engine and gearbox iirc.

Rear wing looks like the final evolution of last years...

Front wing still has that silly little flappy thing...

I'm finding it difficult to see that any further up the grid than last year on looks alone tbh.

Most radical bit - the rear view mirrors. :D

However - the RB2 appears to be extremely fragile around the rear of the car *the Ferrari bit anyway* - indication of whats to come? They had to cut holed in the bodywork to stop the engine cooking itself. Either they screwed up bigtime or that Ferrari motor is a hot one.

Out of all the cars launched so far...I have to say the McLaren looks the most radical - nose, wing, rear wing, sidepods *how skinny are they!* it just looks like the ultimate evolution of last years car so far.

Still...got Scuderia Toro Rosso, Super Aguri Racing, Williams F1, Midland F1, Honda Racing to launch their '06 cars though

Still may be surprised.

Simon/~Flibster

Back
Top Bottom