2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Flibster said:
Remeber - Belgium is still up in the air as is Germany...

They may or may not happen. :(

Actually - not too bothered about Germany after they killed the circuit - Belgium on the other hand.. :(

Simon/~Flibster

Same here...still waiting to find out whether the £1000 I've spent on 3 tickets is going to go to waste!!!

Man of Honour
OP
F1Racing.net to Sponsor Midland F1

MF1 Racing, the Formula One team owned and operated by the Midland Group, is pleased to announce that leading F1 news and information website F1Racing.net will support the team's inaugural World Championship season.

In addition to continuing its sponsorship of driver Christijan Albers, F1Racing.net will back the Dutchman's new team as it prepares to unveil its new MF1 Toyota M16 race car at Silverstone tomorrow.

"The internet become a vital communications tool for all F1 teams and it's great for us to have the backing of one of the most popular F1 news sites," said Colin Kolles, Managing Director of MF1 Racing. "This promises to be an exciting first season for Midland Formula One and we are glad that F1Racing.net will be along to provide first-class coverage of our team, our drivers and, of course, our brand-new car."

MF1 driver Christijan Albers commented, "There is a positive feeling within the team about the new M16. I'm confident we'll be able to achieve some good results this season and I'm looking forward to continuing to share the experience with all my fans in my very own column at F1Racing.net."

"Making a mark in Formula One is incredibly difficult and we are proud to back MF1 Racing in its first season," added Jeroen Huis in't Veld, Chief Executive Officer of F1Racing.net.

F1Racing.net is one of the internet's most popular Formula One websites and offers readers the latest news in eight languages. Its logo will appear on the drivers' helmets and Albers' merchandise.

Man of Honour
OP
Oliveira to test for the WilliamsF1 Team

WilliamsF1 today confirmed that João Paulo de Oliveira will test for the team on Friday 3 February at the Valencia circuit, Spain.

Brazilian Oliveira has spent the past two seasons contesting the Japanese Formula 3 Championship, behind the wheel of the Toyota-powered TOM’s car, in which he won last year’s Drivers’ title. Out of a total of 33 races, entered between 2004 and 2005, the 23-year-old has claimed victory 11 times from 14 pole positions, and achieved 25 top ten finishes.

Oliveira started his motorsport career in 1998, with entries in Formula Ford and Formula Chevrolet-Opel, prior to competing in the South American F3 series for two seasons, claiming Championship honours in the B-class in ’99 and in the A-class in 2000. A further two seasons of German F3 followed, in which Oliveira took the silverware in convincing fashion with 13 victories out of a total of 16 races in 2003.

With such a proven pedigree, Oliveira will make his Formula One debut with the WilliamsF1 Team in Valencia tomorrow. The Brazilian will experience 20 laps of the Spanish track in the interim FW27C chassis and will conclude the team’s week long test programme following the launch of the FW28 last week.

Oliveira is one of a long list of Brazilian drivers that has been brought to the team’s attention by major sponsor and fuel supplier, Petrobras. Previously, Max Wilson, Bruno Junqueira, Jaime Melo, Ricardo Sperafico, Antonio Pizzonia and Nelsinho Piquet have all been offered the opportunity to test one of the team’s race cars.

Of his debut, Oliveira commented, “I am delighted that Williams have invited me to drive their car. To be driving a Formula One car is a life long ambition and I intend to take full advantage of the opportunity. I hope that I can also provide the team with some valuable feedback as they prepare for the season ahead.”

Prior to Oliveira’s first outing, Frank Williams, Team Principal of the WilliamsF1 Team, said, “We have closely followed João Paulo’s career to date and it would appear to be an entirely appropriate time to offer him his first F1 test. We’re looking forward to seeing how he responds to the challenge.”

Man of Honour
OP
Valentine debut for Super Aguri?

The new Super Aguri Formula 1 team is planning to run its interim SA05 car – based on an updated 2002-spec Arrows chassis – as early as mid-February.

The new Honda-supported outfit, which only officially received permission to enter this year’s F1 championship at the end of last week, is still in the process of setting up its new HQ in the old Arrows facility in Leafield in the UK.

However, work has already begun on designing the team’s own, bespoke car – the SA06 – with the intention of introducing it in time for the start of the European season in late April.

Until then, the team will make do with the ex-Arrows chassis, powered by Honda’s new 2.4-litre V8 engine, on the early-season fly-away rounds in Bahrain, Malaysia and Australia.

This will be tested for the first time at Silverstone on February 14, with a three-day test at Barcelona planned for February 21-23.

The team’s managing director, Daniele Audetto, has said that the team has already secured finance for at least the next three years, and has suggested that the outfit will require at least that long to even think about attempting to win grands prix.

This is despite the addition of 14 R&D engineers from Honda Japan to the 88 existing staff already working for the outfit.

“It took Ferrari 21 years to win a world championship before 2000, so we have to be realistic,” he said in Autosport this week.

“We don’t expect to win a race within three years, but we are not losers and the regulation changes to make racing cheaper in 2008 could be a great benefit for us.”

The Super Aguri team has yet to confirm its drivers for this year, but long-time Honda supported ace Takuma Sato is set to take one of the team’s two seats.

Man of Honour
OP
Rossi to have more Ferrari tests

Valentino Rossi will have more Formula One tests with Ferrari in the next few months after finishing a promising three-day session in Spain.

The five-times MotoGP champion was 12th fastest of 15 drivers on Thursday after being ninth quickest on Wednesday.

"It has been a very interesting test, as it was the first time I lapped in a Formula One car with other drivers," the Italian told the Ferrari website.

"I have to say I felt at ease and had no particular problems."

The 26-year-old Rossi spun the car several times in the early wet conditions in Valencia but improved as the track dried out.

"I did not come here to show anything to anybody but simply to broaden my understanding of a Formula One car and I thank Ferrari for continuing to give me this opportunity, added Rossi.

"In the next few months there will be more tests but now I go back to motorcycling, which is foremost in my thoughts.

"I, like Ferrari, have a task to face. We both have championships to compete in and, possibly, to win."

A Ferrari spokesman confirmed that Rossi would take part in further tests but said no schedule had been drawn up yet.

The Italian will defend his MotoGP title with Yamaha but Ferrari have said they want to sign him in 2007.

Rossi has one season left on his Yamaha contract and says he will be on the grid when the 2006 season gets under way in April.

He has tested with Ferrari on three previous occasions and could be viewed as a possible replacement for seven-time champion Michael Schumacher.

Schumacher, 37, has been the backbone of the Ferrari team for several years but his contract runs out at the end of 2006 and he has still to decide whether to continue or retire.

Britain's John Surtees is the only man to have won world championships on two wheels and four, taking the Formula One crown with Ferrari in 1964.

Man of Honour
OP
Ferrari Confirms Former McLaren Man as New Chief Designer

Ferrari has announced a roster of changes to its technical department this Thursday, to be effective on March 1st.

Most notable among them is the return of Nicholas Tombazis, who will take over the position of Chief Designer held last year by Aldo Costa. Tombazis, a 38-year old Greek, was Ferrari's Chief Aerodynamicist until 2003, when he left the Scuderia to take over a similar role at McLaren-Mercedes.

Costa, for his part, has been promoted to Head of Design and Development Department. He will work under Technical Director Ross Brawn. Tombazis will report to Costa.

Finally, the Scuderia confirmed that former Chief Designer Rory Byrne will assume the newly created position of Design and Development Consultant. Last month, the South African, who had been rumored to retire this year, revealed that he had signed a two-year extension with the scarlet team.

Man of Honour
OP
Sutil and Mondini in at Midland

Ahead of the launch of its first car, Midland F1 has announced two driver signings.

First off, the Russian team announced the signing of 22-year-old Adrian Sutil from Munich, Germany, as the team's official Junior Driver for 2006.

Sutil, runner-up in the 2005 F3 Euroseries Championship, becomes the sixth German to be involved in F1 in 2006.

MF1 Racing Managing Director Colin Kolles commented, "Adrian drove for my F3 team in his rookie Euroseries season. When he earned pole position in just his third race, I was more than just impressed - I was convinced that he was a talent for the future. As MF1's Junior Driver in 2006, he will have the opportunity to mature professionally in a Formula 1 environment and prepare himself thoroughly for what I believe will be a great F1 career."

Sutil will share testing duties for the team and will also participate in some of the Friday Grand Prix practice days.

A gifted pianist, Sutil was expected to follow his violinist father, Jorge, into a musical career but at the age of 14, he discovered karting.

"From that moment on, Formula 1 has been my goal," said the aspiring Junior Driver. "This opportunity with MF1, at an early stage in my development as a driver, is a dream come true. I know that if I work really hard, I can repay the confidence that has been shown in me and earn a place among the top drivers in the world."

In addition to Sutil, the Silverstone-based outfit announced that 25-year-old Swiss driver Giorgio Mondini will participate in nine Friday Grand Prix test days this season.

Mondini, from Geneva, was a relatively late starter to racing, competing in his first Formula Renault Championship in 2001. A graduate of the famous Henry Morough Racing School in Italy, He quickly showed speed but 2004 was when it all started to come together for him and he won the Renault V6 Championship.

Mondini graduated to World Series by Renault for the start of the 2005 but things really took off when he was invited to join David Price Racing's GP2 team for the second half of the season. His performances earned him a test driver the World Championship winning Renault team at Barcelona last December: 'That test whetted my appetite for Formula1 and I am delighted to have this opportunity with MF1 Racing. The new car looks really good and I can't wait to drive it.'

Man of Honour
OP
Midland confirms Monteiro... well, sort of

In a flurry of press releases announcing five - count 'em five - new sponsorship deals, a 'junior driver' and a 'nine Friday driver', Midland F1 Racing has finally 'confirmed' Tiago Monteiro as its second race driver in 2006.

Monteiro has been connected with the second seat for some time, having driver for (Midland-owned) Jordan in 2005, and in addition to a number of tests for the Silverstone-based outfit, was even named on the FIA's official entry list published in December.

However, for reasons known only to itself the Russian owned team refused to officially confirm that the Portuguese driver would partner Christijan Albers, even though Tiago was telling all and sundry that the job was his.

One must presume that the reason the team refused to officially confirm Monteiro, was either because it was waiting for his funding to come through, or else the Russian team was holding out for a driver offering a better (financial) deal.

On Thursday evening, twelve hours before the launch of its first car, the team issued yet another press release, this time the Portuguese driver was named:

"MF1 Racing's drivers for the 2006 FIA F1 World Championship season were confirmed as 2005 F1 Rookie of the Year Tiago Monteiro from Portugal and Dutchman Christijan Albers. Germans Markus Winkelhock and Adrian Sutil, as well as Roman Rusinov from Russia, were introduced as the team's test drivers."

All very odd.

Man of Honour
OP
Women drivers!

Over in America, Danica Patrick has shown in the last 12 months just what can be achieved by a woman in the Indy Racing League and the results of that have been seen this week with the announcement that Rahal Letterman Racing has signed sponsorship deals with the grocery store company Meijer and with Coca-Cola Enterprises. As part of the three-way deal fans will get a chance to meet Patrick during autograph sessions at select Meijer stores around IRL events. The company operates 171 stores in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois and Kentucky. Its stores are open 24 hours a day, 364 days a year. Coca-Cola is involved because it wants the association with Patrick, who is now a big star in the US.

It is small wonder that the rival Champ Car series is looking seriously at running Katherine Legge this year.

It is also worth noting that both Legge and Patrick were keen to be Formula 1 drivers but found European attitudes towards women racers to be too closed and raising money to be too difficult.

Man of Honour
OP
Hockenheim crisis deepens

Luck is not on Hockenheim's side at present, as a legal hazard now joins uncertainty about the future of the German GP.

It was reported in the 'Mannheimer Morning' newspaper that business documents in the possession of Hockenheim managing director Jurgen von Glasenapp have been seized by the local public prosecutor's office.

Von Glasenapp, and possibly another staff member, have also been sent on leave, while the public prosecutor confirmed that an investigation is underway.

Hockenheim chief and mayor Dieter Gummer did not shed any light on the contents of the documents, but he did admit that such a scenario is 'not helpful'.

It us understood that circuit meetings relating to the issue were held on Wednesday, with another due on Friday.

Man of Honour
OP
$3.6m upgrade at Magny Cours

French grand prix venue Magny Cours is set for a $3.6m circuit upgrade.

'The Australian' newspaper cited correspondents in Paris as reporting that the facelift will be funded by the local Nievre authorities.

'It's to bring the circuit into line with standard regulations,' said circuit administrator Gerard Dumas.

The work at Circuit Magny Cours, located 15 kms from the sleepy Nevers town and to be completed in March, is scheduled to begin immediately.

Man of Honour
OP
Small sponsors by the ton

MF1 Racing has announced a string of sponsors in the course of the winter months most of them linked to one or other of the drivers involved in the team. The team has 27 sponsorship deals on its notepaper alone but some of those deals are not going to be very large as they include several deals which look like barter arrangements.

The team continues to talk a good game

"It has been an exciting, sometimes bumpy ride since we accelerated our plans and became involved in F1 a year earlier than expected," says Colin Kolles, Managing Director of MF1 Racing. "But through all the ups and downs, we maintained a clear vision of where want to be and, step by step, we are getting there. We have restructured the company and refurbished our headquarters as the first stage of our long-term plans. The M16 car is 100% a product of MF1 Racing - solid proof of our serious intentions. But even though we have invested a great deal into building a brand-new car, we remain realistic about the challenge we face as a private team against the world's top motor manufacturers."

"At this stage in our development, we are excited to give opportunities to the young men and women who will become the future of Formula 1. Technical Director James Key and his team of engineers, who have designed and built the M16, are those people. Their car, like the company as a whole, is a platform for the future and will be continuously developed. Our target for 2006 is consistent and visible progress compared to our rivals, while maintaining the superb reliability record that highlighted 2005."

The most recent additions include an energy drinks called Rhino, the Superfund company, the Portuguese tourist authority and Israel's Zim shipping company.

Man of Honour
OP
Berger admits 'thinking about' own F1 team

Gerhard Berger has refused to deny Bernie Ecclestone's recent claim that he is considering setting up a Formula One team in 2008.

The veteran of 210 Grand Prix, and BMW motor sport director until 2003, told Austrian sports magazine Kicker that he would 'gladly come back' if the conditions were right.

“It is an idea that is in my head,” Berger, 46, admitted.

Much like fellow hopefuls David Richards and Roger Penske, however, Berger said his plan would very much depend on Max Mosley's proposed 2008 regulations, where minimum budgets should plummet to around $50m a year.

“At the moment, (starting) a truly independent team is not really realistic,” Berger said. “But if it was more accessible, more affordable, I'd think about it.”

Man of Honour
OP
MF1 Racing unveil 2006 challenger

MF1 Racing unveiled the car with which it will compete in the 2006 FIA F1 World Championship, the Midland MF1 Toyota M16, at Silverstone on Friday.

The all-new car - adorned in striking grey, red and white livery - represents the first entry in the 56-year history of the World Championship to race with a Russian motorsport license.

"It has been an exciting, sometimes bumpy ride since we accelerated our plans and became involved in F1 a year earlier than expected," said Colin Kolles, Managing Director of MF1 Racing.

"But through all the ups and downs, we maintained a clear vision of where want to be and, step by step, we are getting there.

"We have restructured the company and refurbished our headquarters as the first stage of our long-term plans. The M16 car is 100% a product of MF1 Racing - solid proof of our serious intentions.

"But even though we have invested a great deal into building a brand-new car, we remain realistic about the challenge we face as a private team against the world's top motor manufacturers."

"The M16 is a completely new car," said James Key, Technical Director of MF1 Racing. "Obviously, the information we have gained from developing the EJ15B has gone into building the M16, but it is significantly improved in so many ways - mechanically, aerodynamically, even the way it is packaged. We are very optimistic about the progress that lies ahead."

Team owner Alex Shnaider, Chairman and co-founder of Midland Group added: "With the M16, we have made a significant leap forward in every respect.

"I am very proud of the passion and ingenuity demonstrated by our workforce and partners, who are the lifeblood of this team. Everyone has worked extremely hard to make this car a reality and I am confident that if we maintain this level of commitment, we will continue to make further and more frequent leaps forward in the years to come."

Shakedown testing of the Midland MF1 Toyota M16 is due to take place at Silverstone on 4 Feb., followed by a four-day test at Jerez beginning 7 Feb.

No pictures as of yet though

Man of Honour
OP
Super Aguri don't expect wins

The new Honda backed Super Aguri Formula One team does not expect to win Grand Prix for at least three years.

"We have to be realistic," ITV report Managing Director Daniele Audetto as saying.

The team's initial 2006 car, the reworked Arrows A23 fitted with a 2.4 litre V8 Honda, will be called SA05. The bespoke car will bear the SA06 name.

The SA05 will hit the Silverstone track for a debut test in mid-February, mere weeks ahead of the team's race debut in Bahrain.

The genuine 2006 contender won't be ready until at least the start of the European season in April.

Man of Honour
OP
Midland target BMW, Red Bull

The new Midland Formula One team have set their sights on challenging BMW and Red Bull Racing this season.

The team launched their new M16 car at Silverstone on Friday morning and, despite their struggles after the takeover of Jordan in 2005, they are confident of a major step forward this season.

Technical director James Key said: "We are ambitious and optimistic, but also realistic.

"We are looking at the teams who were ahead of us last year, so that means Red Bull Racing and Sauber (BMW). Realistically I think we can do it, but whether that is at the beginning of the season or the end I don't know. But that is what we are aiming for."

The M16 is an all-new car and Key claims that the major gains over last year's EJ15 are in aerodynamics - although other improvements have been brought in.

"The car is very original," added Key. "We have not been able to design a new car for a few years so we have had ideas stacked up for the last 18 months."

Team principal and managing director Colin Kolles said the team's ambitions were to score regular points this season.

"Last year when I made my first FIA press conference I said that I hoped our car was reliable and that with a bit of luck were could get some points," said Kolles. "This year I hope the car is reliable and we don't need luck for points.

"I hope we can score regularly."

Man of Honour
OP
Midland say in F1 for the long-term

Midland owner Alex Shnaider says he is committed to Formula One and has no intention to sell the MF1 Racing team.

Shnaider, who bought the Jordan team in January last year, was surrounded by rumours that he was looking to offload the team after a disappointing season.

But the Russian, whose Midland company has extensive interests throughout the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, says he wants to stay in F1 for a long time.

"The plan is to stay in F1," said Shnaider during the launch of the new MF16 car at Silverstone. "I have no plan to sell. I'm here to stay. I am committed to F1 and it is a great sport."

Asked if he was in F1 for the long-term, he responded: "Yes."

Shnaider, however, did not rule out joining forces with a partner if the right offer came along.

"We are always looking for a partner. But right now this is the Midland team, although if someone came along who could offer us some value then we would not rule it out," he said.

"I like this sport. I was a fan of F1 beforehand and I like the fact it is a global sport and we can use it as a platform, a global platform, for our company."

Man of Honour
OP
MF1 Racing M16 Launch: Technical Specifications - Chassis

Chassis
Full carbon fibre composite monocoque

Front suspension
Composite pushrods activating chassis mounted in-line dampers and torsion bars, unequal length composite aerodynamic wishbones, front anti-roll bar and cast uprights

Rear suspension
Composite pushrods activating gearbox mounted rotary dampers & torsion bars, unequal length composite aerodynamic wishbones, and cast uprights.

Transmission
In-house Midland MF1 Racing design. 7-speed + reverse longitudinal gearbox with electrohydraulic sequential gear change

Wheel base
More than 3000mm

Front track
1480mm

Rear track
1418mm

Overall height
950mm

Overall length
Approx. 5000 mm

Overall weight
600 kg, with driver and camera