2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

ashtray_head said:
c'mon Simon there aint many sports stars that could do that

If only they'd remove the traction control, power steering, go back to manual gearboxes with a clutch and full slicks - then we'd see what he could really do.

Valencia is a small track - times of 1.09 were common last year - 1.6s is a pretty big margin.

Around Ferrari's own track in the same car as Schumacher, Rossi was within 0.9 seconds on his first test - what does that say about how hard the cars are to drive?

Same with Raikkonen - went from Formula Renault straight into F1. 23 single seater races from single seater rookie to F1 driver.

Hell - Damon Hill was a Biker and was pretty reasonable, moved to F1 and was winning races and even a championship - nearly won a race in an Arrows... :eek:

Rossi is a professional racer anyway - it won't be that big a change for him. It's not like never having raced before and going straight to a F1 car.

Also - there's a possibility that Rossi was in a V10 powered F2004 *I was told V8...but that may be wrong from something I've just found out* If thats true then he was 3.8 seconds off the pace...

Simon/~Flibster

Flibster said:
Same with Raikkonen - went from Formula Renault straight into F1. 23 single seater races from single seater rookie to F1 driver.

Simon/~Flibster
So, Kimi's no good then either??

I agree its easier to make the jump nowdays but you've gotta jump and not fall down

Flibster said:
Hell - Damon Hill was a Biker and was pretty reasonable, moved to F1 and was winning races and even a championship - nearly won a race in an Arrows... :eek:

Simon/~Flibster

Now that race was ALL about tyres (but yeah I was like WOW! that Arrows Just overtook a Ferrari!!! :eek: )

I was well gutted when that 2p part failed :(

Just found out from Ferrari directly. *I phoned them. :D* that Rossi was running a Restricted V10...so was 1.6s off the pace.

So he still should have been faster than Schumacher.

As for his time - I'm finding it hard to be impressed with any of the 'guest' testers that the teams bring in.

Biaggi goes out round a track that he doesn't know, in the wet and posts a reasonable time *for the car he was in*

Rossi, in a good Ferrari, on a track he knows well, in a car that should be faster than anything else out there - but isn't...

Stick him in the current car and lets see what he can really do...

Simon/~Flibster

BMW not a top team - Theissen

BMW Sauber is not yet a top team, team principal Mario Theissen says.

The German insisted that, for the first year of full ownership by the Munich based carmaker, the idea is to build up a solid foundation throughout 2006.

'This starting phase will last for the whole season,' he told 'Sport-Informations-Dienst'.

For that reason, you won't hear reference to championships or wins - even podiums - just yet.

Theissen added: 'The unification and development of the team has priority at the moment.'

However, the newly launched 'F1.06', designed mostly by the team led by Peter Sauber last year, is showing signs of being a nifty little GP racer.

'It seems to have noticeably more grip than its predecessor,' said lead driver Nick Heidfeld.

Canadian teammate Jacques Villeneuve, additionally, says he is able to 'brake later' and 'drive more aggressively' with the new car.

But Mario Theissen insists that 'BMW Sauber' should not yet be considered a top team, even if it is owned by a car manufacturer.

He concluded: 'But we want to become a top team as soon as possible.'

Flibster said:
Just found out from Ferrari directly. *I phoned them. :D* that Rossi was running a Restricted V10...so was 1.6s off the pace.

So he still should have been faster than Schumacher.

As for his time - I'm finding it hard to be impressed with any of the 'guest' testers that the teams bring in.

Biaggi goes out round a track that he doesn't know, in the wet and posts a reasonable time *for the car he was in*

Rossi, in a good Ferrari, on a track he knows well, in a car that should be faster than anything else out there - but isn't...

Stick him in the current car and lets see what he can really do...

Simon/~Flibster

was just about to post the V10 bit.........
anymore insider info to let us know about? :D

What’s New for 2006 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix?

New Technical Rules: The high-pitched wail of the 3.0-litre Formula One V10 engines will be replaced in 2006 with an exciting new sound as the 2006 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix ushers in the era of 2.4-litre V8 engines.

Qualifying: The single lap qualifying system of recent years has given way to a three- round elimination contest, with the fastest 10 cars going head-to-head for position at the top of the starting order.

Tyres: In 2005 the teams were only allowed to use one set of dry weather tyres for both qualifying and the race. The 2006 season sees the reintroduction of tyre changes and the revival of this exciting aspect of the teams’ race strategy.

Teams: Three new teams will travel to Bahrain for their Grand Prix debut – BMW Sauber F1, Scuderia Toro Rosso and the all-new Super Aguri F1, together with the renamed Honda Racing F1 team, bringing the total number of teams in the 2006 world championship to 11.

Drivers: A wealth of new talent has emerged through the junior ranks to reach the sport’s pinnacle including Germany’s 2005 GP2 champion Nico Rosberg at Williams and American young gun Scott Speed at Scuderia Toro Rosso.

Pro-Celebrity Race: Joining the support race schedule for the 2006 Bahrain Grand Prix will be a dazzling array of names from the world of sport and entertainment racing identical Holden V8 Supercars alongside some of the biggest names in world motor sport.

Thursday Pit Walk: 3-day pass holders will be allowed to walk down the Formula One Pit Lane on Thursday 9 March to see the team preparations.

Porsche Michelin SuperCup Night Race: The spectacular Porsche GT3 Cup cars will put on a 30-minute race after dusk on Friday March 10, using the 2.55km Inner Circuit with viewing available from the Oasis Grandstand.

Vending Area Attractions: Throughout the Grand Prix weekend the vending area behind the Main Grandstand will throng with cultural and sporting activities and the FIA-led Think driver safety campaign as well as daily autograph sessions on the BIC Dhow for Formula One and support race drivers.

Starting Grid Procedures: Half an hour before the start of the 2006 Bahrain Grand Prix a spectacular parade led by a Military Marching Band with flag bearers, Arabic dancers and three floats representing traditional Bahraini life: The Dhow, The Pearl and The Souq.

Head confirms Webber *cough* telling off *cough*

Williams' Patrick Head has confirmed that he sat down for a face to face *cough* telling off *cough* with Mark Webber last season.

With Australian driver Webber arguably underperforming in 2005, the team's co-owner and engineering director says the trio - completed by Sir Frank Williams - got together to clear the air.

'Mark had come to a team where he expected to have the opportunity to win,' Head told the Australian Herald Sun 'paper.

'He certainly was quite disillusioned.'

60-year-old Head, with a reputation for grumpy moods and a lack of tolerance for prima donna drivers, revealed that the crunch meeting took place at the Grove factory.

He said: 'The *cough* telling off *cough* was in both directions.

'After that, Mark's season got back on track.'

Although neither 29-year-old Webber nor the F1 team in Oxfordshire were entirely happy with Mark's performances last year, Patrick Head suggested that he is a potential winner.

He agreed: 'Mark is exceptionally fast.'

Bernie fuels Kimi-to-Ferrari gossip

Bernie Ecclestone has only fuelled speculation that Kimi Räikkönen's future is red.

As gossip reigns that the Finn will leave McLaren at the end of the year, Ecclestone - the F1 supremo - was asked by German magazine 'Sport Bild' what he thought of the prospect of Kimi in a Ferrari.

'He would be an absolute superstar,' said the 75-year-old.

Montoya also on his way out?

If reports in the media are correct, McLaren will have a totally new drivers line-up in 2007 as both Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya are intent on leaving.

There has been much speculation about Raikkonen's future in recent months, with reports claiming he is either on his way to Ferrari or Toyota next year.

However, his team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya has remained largely out of the limelight - that is, until now.

According to German magazine Auto, Motor and Sport, the Colombian is on the look-out for a new team as he is unhappy with McLaren’s decision to sign Fernando Alonso to drive for them in 2007.

"I am talking with other constructors," he told the magazine.

"If Ferrari, Renault or BMW make me a good offer, I will take it."

Midland ready to do launch

While many of the F1 teams are lapping the Valencia circuit this week, the Midland squad is at home in Britain preparing for its first F1 launch.

The team will unveil its 2006 challenger, the M16, which symbolises a new era and new identity for the outfit, at Silverstone on Friday.

"It's all coming together," said MF1 Racing Sporting Director Adrian Burgess.

"Obviously, at this time of year it's always hectic, but as of today we have things under control and we'll make it on time.

"We feel that we're going to produce a far better package than we did a year ago.

"We've had 12 months of stability now, we know who the owner is, we know where we're going, and we know what the engine is."

Midland are also expected to Tiago Monteiro as Christijan Alber's 2006 team-mate.

Ecclestone and GPMA moving closer to deal?

It appears that the five manufacturers that comprise the Grand Prix Manufacturers' Association (GPMA), are moving closer towards a deal with Bernie Ecclestone, which would assure the future of F1, as we now know it, and end the threat of a breakaway series.

German magazine Sportbild quoted Ecclestone as saying that a deal could be in place before the season opener in Bahrain.

Speaking to AP, Xander Heijnen, spokesman for the GPMA, said: "We've moved considerably forward in our talks and the chances of an agreement soon have grown significantly."

However, though many appear to be focussing on the financial side of the talks, there are numerous other issues regarding F1 that worry the manufacturers, one being the governance of the sport. In recent weeks, several prominent Motorsport Directors of F1 manufacturers have been critical of the way the FIA has changed the rules and its proposed plans for 2008.

Furthermore, its understood that the manufacturers feel that more should be done for the customers of the sport, namely the race fans, with the current debacle regarding the on-off Belgian Grand Prix being a prime example of how F1 lets the fans down.

Publicly, Ecclestone has always dismissed the threat of a breakaway, saying that it "never really had a chance", however, it's believed that privately he viewed the threat with growing concern.

Flavio has another pop at McLaren

Renault team boss Flavio Briatore has said he’s got no problem with reigning champion Fernando Alonso going to rival outfit McLaren at the end of 2006.

But at the launch of Renault's new R28 in Monaco, the famed talent-spotter and driver manager repeated his accusation however that McLaren chief Ron Dennis was out-of-order to announce his poaching of Alonso with the 2006 campaign still to run.

"I believe it is just for a driver to want to change teams, to get new stimulation,” Briatore said in Gazzetta dello Sport this week.

“But I don't find it at all classy that another team announces the hiring of another driver one year in advance.”

McLaren announced in December that newly-crowned champion Alonso would drive for the team in 2007.

Briatore – in his dual role as Alonso’s manager and Renault’s team boss – had to then issue a public statement saying he’d had no role in the deal, and that Alonso had been acting on his own accord.

But Briatore is particularly angered by McLaren's quick announcement of the deal, as he believes the news was used as a mask for McLaren’s failure to lift the crown in 2005.

"There are some people who, to hide the problems of the press, throw themselves into the future,” he said.

Briatore has also played down suggestions that he may leave his role leading Renault's F1 team, following the announcement that Renault chairman Patrick Faure is leaving the French car firm at the end of the year.

"As long as I continue to enjoy myself, and I’m able to do this job well, then I will stay,” Briatore said.

“And, for the moment, it seems as if I am doing a better job than Ron Dennis and Frank Williams.”

Was looking at the calender and thought why not post it so everyone can put the dates in their calender (if you haven't done it already)

12 March Bahrain Grand Prix
19 March Malaysian Grand Prix
02 April Australian Grand Prix
23 April San Marino Grand Prix
07 May European Grand Prix
14 May Spanish Grand Prix
28 May Monaco Grand Prix
11 June British Grand Prix
25 June Canadian Grand Prix
02 July United States Grand Prix
16 July French Grand Prix
30 July German Grand Prix
06 August Hungarian Grand Prix
27 August Turkish Grand Prix
10 September Italian Grand Prix
17 September Belgian Grand Prix
01 October Chinese Grand Prix
08 October Japanese Grand Prix
22 October Brazilian Grand Prix

ashtray_head said:
was just about to post the V10 bit.........
anymore insider info to let us know about? :D

Spoke to another couple of mates last night/this morning. Many teams were unimpressed with Rossi - considering he's had several behind closed doors test at Ferrari he did not perform up to scratch.

One of them was a Ferrari chap as well. ;)

rpstewart said:
A frank and open discussion between Patrick & Mark then. Can't say I'm surprised, Patrick strikes me as the no nonsense, sort it out outside type.

Didn't see either of them with black eyes thoroughout last year ;)

He is a very honest person though - if he thinks something is crap - he'll let you know about it. Usually vocally and reasonably loudly. :D

Frank is a little bit more diplomatic

Webber seems pretty open as well - especially when he wasn't happy. He deserves the car to be much better this year - he's an extremely quick driver.

Flibster said:
Spoke to another couple of mates last night/this morning. Many teams were unimpressed with Rossi - considering he's had several behind closed doors test at Ferrari he did not perform up to scratch.

One of them was a Ferrari chap as well. ;)

Well we'll see how he does today. I still think he's doing ok

Dutch Guy said:
Was looking at the calender and thought why not post it so everyone can put the dates in their calender (if you haven't done it already)

12 March Bahrain Grand Prix
19 March Malaysian Grand Prix
02 April Australian Grand Prix
23 April San Marino Grand Prix
07 May European Grand Prix
14 May Spanish Grand Prix
28 May Monaco Grand Prix
11 June British Grand Prix
25 June Canadian Grand Prix
02 July United States Grand Prix
16 July French Grand Prix
30 July German Grand Prix
06 August Hungarian Grand Prix
27 August Turkish Grand Prix
10 September Italian Grand Prix
17 September Belgian Grand Prix
01 October Chinese Grand Prix
08 October Japanese Grand Prix
22 October Brazilian Grand Prix

Remeber - Belgium is still up in the air as is Germany...

They may or may not happen. :(

Actually - not too bothered about Germany after they killed the circuit - Belgium on the other hand.. :(

Simon/~Flibster

Renault may favour Fisichella

According to Giancarlo Fisichella, he and Renault teammate Fernando Alonso will both start 2006 from 'zero'.

But it's not really that simple. Firstly, Alonso is champion, and Fisichella a defeated 33-year-old 2005 teammate.

However, with Alonso off to McLaren next year and Renault looking towards the future, Italy's Fisichella might just be credited for having the psychological edge in '06.

Indeed, team boss Flavio Briatore thinks the only element of Fisichella's make up that is not equipped for the sport's title is 'a bit more nastiness'.

''So I should walk around with two daggers now?'' Fisichella joked to Gazzetta dello Sport.

''Being nasty is not me -- all I need is some better luck than I've had.''

Alonso, as well, is confident that Renault will not start favouring Fisichella, just because the Roman is vowing to stick around.

The Spaniard said: ''It is not in Renault's interest to treat us differently. If we want to succeed again, we must support each other as much as we can.''

Head wanted to keep Heidfeld

Williams co-owner Patrick Head has admitted his team was keen to keep Nick Heidfeld in its driver line-up this year, but lost out to BMW because it took too long deciding its long-term plans.

The services of Heidfeld, who has been staging a career resurgence over the last two years, were keenly sought by both Williams and BMW as they parted ways at the end of 2005.

Although Williams had an option on Heidfeld for 2006, they decided to let this go when BMW offered the German a deal for 2007 and 2008.

Head knew from William’s experience working with Juan Pablo Montoya, when he had already announced a move to McLaren, that team/driver relationships can struggle in such circumstances.

“Before we decided on our steps forward for 2007 and 2008, [BMW boss] Mario [Thiessen] had done a deal with him [Heidfeld] for those two years,” Head said in this week’s Autosport.

“We then decided not to run him in 2006, because it’s never easy with a driver you know is leaving.

“We’d done a deal like that with Juan Pablo [Montoya] in 2004. I’m sure Renault will find the same with Fernando Alonso this year.”

Williams' new recruit, Nico Rosberg, has already been signed up on a long-term deal, although the exact details of this remain unclear.

Back
Top Bottom