2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Man of Honour
OP
Zip said:
:eek: How did u get a job like that!?!?!
I would kill to be able to have had your job.

Whats wrong with having the GP at Monaco? Have you already posted why but im just going to need to read it and find it my self?

Left uni and Went to an agency to try and get some temp work - only did 2 years on a 6/7 year course in Aerospace systems engineering.

2 days later got a phonecall.
Can you read technical drawings?
Yup.
Can you use micrometers and vernier and things like that?
Yup.
Interested in motorsport?
Yup.
Can you travel 30 miles to this job?
Yup.
Fancy an interview?
Yup :D

Had an interview on a monday - started the next monday. :D

Started in quality control until we went to the local track and were given the keys to a Lotus Elise...and after around 5 laps clocked a time only half a second slower than the in house test drivers.

Was then moved into 'special projects' which dealt with the more specalised areas of motorsport *F1 and GT cars mainly* and the internal vehicle dynamics team. In other words - test driving.

Spent 2 years driving and travelling around with the race teams.

Monaco is a crap place for a Grand Prix becuase...it's too bloody small! Track doesn't allow overtaking - facilities are terrible compare to other circuits *ie...Silverstone and Spa...*

1 car one side of the pit lane - the 2nd car the other side of the pit lane and the spare car is a couple of hundred meters away...

It's cramped, generally unplesent and we had to drive there as it was a European race. :rolleyes: 18 hour drive...

Worst bit - wasn't allowed to chat up any of the totty. :( Shame - there was some fantastic legs there.

Simon/~Flibster

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Flibster said:
Left uni and Went to an agency to try and get some temp work - only did 2 years on a 6/7 year course in Aerospace systems engineering.

2 days later got a phonecall.
Can you read technical drawings?
Yup.
Can you use micrometers and vernier and things like that?
Yup.
Interested in motorsport?
Yup.
Can you travel 30 miles to this job?
Yup.
Fancy an interview?
Yup

Had an interview on a monday - started the next monday.
Started in quality control until we went to the local track and were given the keys to a Lotus Elise...and after around 5 laps clocked a time only half a second slower than the in house test drivers.

Was then moved into 'special projects' which dealt with the more specalised areas of motorsport *F1 and GT cars mainly* and the internal vehicle dynamics team. In other words - test driving.

Spent 2 years driving and travelling around with the race teams.

Monaco is a crap place for a Grand Prix becuase...it's too bloody small! Track doesn't allow overtaking - facilities are terrible compare to other circuits *ie...Silverstone and Spa...*

1 car one side of the pit lane - the 2nd car the other side of the pit lane and the spare car is a couple of hundred meters away...

It's cramped, generally unplesent and we had to drive there as it was a European race. :rolleyes: 18 hour drive...

Worst bit - wasn't allowed to chat up any of the totty. Shame - there was some fantastic legs there.

Simon/~Flibster

You lucky git :p :D
Thanks for clearing up the monoco thing:)
One more question. How do u become an in house test driver for car componys? :)

Man of Honour
OP
Zip said:
You lucky git :p :D
Thanks for clearing up the monoco thing:)
One more question. How do u become an in house test driver for car componys? :)

Wasn't a car company - we built very few full cars *Mainly race cars like the Lola B2K/40 LMP675 car - which won it's class at Le Mans on it's first time out. :D*

We specalised in taking other companies cars and getting them to drive properly by setting the suspension up properly. We dealt with some serious sports car companies - We did a lot of work with Lotus in particular developing the Lotus Motorsport Elise and Exige as well as other companies.

As for becoming a test driver - the easiest way is to be very good at driving fast, driving consistantly and at driving on the limit *and frequently beyond* and to have no fear of personal injury or death.

Hitting concrete at 160mph is not a nice experience - can't remember the impact myself - I remember the surgery afterwards.

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Flibster said:
Wasn't a car company - we built very few full cars *Mainly race cars like the Lola B2K/40 LMP675 car - which won it's class at Le Mans on it's first time out. :D*

We specalised in taking other companies cars and getting them to drive properly by setting the suspension up properly. We dealt with some serious sports car companies - We did a lot of work with Lotus in particular developing the Lotus Motorsport Elise and Exige as well as other companies.

As for becoming a test driver - the easiest way is to be very good at driving fast, driving consistantly and at driving on the limit *and frequently beyond* and to have no fear of personal injury or death.

Hitting concrete at 160mph is not a nice experience - can't remember the impact myself - I remember the surgery afterwards.

Simon/~Flibster

Simon, You might have to do a photo thread about all this........ please :D

did I say please?

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Flibster said:

Simon/~Flibster

Ok i lied, maybe there were more questions to be asked :p
How would you go about showing a compony that you as u put it very good at driving fast, driving consistantly and at driving on the limit *and frequently beyond* and to have no fear of personal injury or death.(Saves me of rewording it all :)) Would they discover you at track days and at things like that?

Man of Honour
OP
ashtray_head said:
Simon, You might have to do a photo thread about all this........ please :D

did I say please?

Would do - but as I was driving and most of the stuff we were working was pre-release or confidential camera's were pretty much banned from everywhere.

However.... http://www.flibster.com/F1/damper/ contains a few images of some of the kit I managed to 'borrow' Thats a 2002 spec rear F1 damper from the Arrows team. It wasn't the most advanced stuff we used either.

Will get one labelled up with the materials used soon

Zip said:
Ok i lied, maybe there were more questions to be asked :p
How would you go about showing a compony that you as u put it very good at driving fast, driving consistantly and at driving on the limit *and frequently beyond* and to have no fear of personal injury or death.(Saves me of rewording it all :)) Would they discover you at track days and at things like that?

I got lucky - we went for a day at our local track as a party as it was the companies birthday. 10 Lotus Elises, 2 pre-release Exige's, couple of Ferrari's *both the bosses* and a TVR *which broke down - shock horror...* and the keys were freely distributed.

Times were only taken as the kit was available and it seemd like a bit of friendly rivalry at the time.

How other drivers got the job - pass. Apart from Franchesco - he worked with Franco for years in various companies and was a nutter. Akiko was the same - except he was a bike nutter.

Simon/~Flibster

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Flibster said:
Would do - but as I was driving and most of the stuff we were working was pre-release or confidential camera's were pretty much banned from everywhere.

However.... http://www.flibster.com/F1/damper/ contains a few images of some of the kit I managed to 'borrow' Thats a 2002 spec rear F1 damper from the Arrows team. It wasn't the most advanced stuff we used either.

Will get one labelled up with the materials used soon

I got lucky - we went for a day at our local track as a party as it was the companies birthday. 10 Lotus Elises, 2 pre-release Exige's, couple of Ferrari's *both the bosses* and a TVR *which broke down - shock horror...* and the keys were freely distributed.

Times were only taken as the kit was available and it seemd like a bit of friendly rivalry at the time.

How other drivers got the job - pass.

Simon/~Flibster

You did get very lucky. Im jelous :D
When u said "How other drivers got the job - pass." Does that mean you dont really know or did they pass a test.

that was the last question, sorry for hyjacking the thread :)

Man of Honour
OP
Zip said:
You did get very lucky. Im jelous :D
When u said "How other drivers got the job - pass." Does that mean you dont really know or did they pass a test.

that was the last question, sorry for hyjacking the thread :)

Honestly don't know how they got the job tbh.

Generally there was 2 of us at a track with 1 or 2 cars though. In exceptional circumstances there could be all 6 of us in the same place though - that was leading up to Le Mans though where we did 48 hours of straight testing on the car.

We'd generally work on 1 car each - unless one got damaged *read - totalled* then we'd share the workload if we could. usually they'd be cars that could put in similar laptimes so we wouldn't get in the way of each other.

Some of the stuff we couldn't - Single seaters primarially as there would be too many adjustments to share the car - so then the one who was free would go back to the truck or the factory - get a massage and spend some time in the gym - then go do some other work - generally read reports, writing reports, visiting the teams, building dampers for events - that kind of stuff.

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
It most certainly is a news thread...

And here's some news...

Super Aguri confirm Sato, Ide for 2006

The Super Aguri Formula One team have confirmed that Takuma Sato and Yuji Ide will be the team's race drivers for the 2006 Formula One season.

The announcement finally confirms the long-held speculation that Sato would drive for the team since the Super Aguri venture was announced late last year, whilst also confirming recent speculation by autosport.com that Ide would be his teammate.

Sato, who drove for Honda-powered Jordan in 2002 and BAR in 2004 and 2005 as well as a one-off appearance for BAR in 2003, will once again be powered by Honda in Super Aguri's debut season.

With his drive now confirmed, Sato is looking forward to the work ahead: "Everyone at Super Aguri has done a great job to make the team happen in such a short period of time. I am extremely excited to be working with the team and especially with Aguri-san who has achieved huge success in motorsport.

"Yesterday I was delighted to shakedown the car for the very first time with all of the boys who have done such a great job. We know that there is a lot of hard work to do, but we are up for the challenge and I am really looking forward to it."

Sato's teammate for 2006, Yuji Ide, is making his Formula One debut alongside the Super Aguri team, following a runner-up result in last year's Formula Nippon series, the premier open-wheel racing series in Japan. Ide also has previous experience in GT and other open-wheel series.

"This year will be very exciting and challenging," said Ide. "I would like to thank Suzuki-san for giving me the opportunity to drive in Formula One.

"I drove an F1 car for the first time yesterday and I was nervous, but very excited. The car is powerful! I would also like to thank the whole team for working so hard to get the car ready for yesterday's shakedown. We had no problems and now I am very much looking forward to testing in Barcelona next week."

With his driving line-up confirmed, Super Aguri team principal Aguri Suzuki is glad to have a pair of experienced racing drivers driving his cars as the team makes its Formula One debut: "I am grateful that these highly experienced drivers are joining my team. Although I expect a tough year as it is our first in Formula One, with these two drivers I will put all my efforts into creating a positive outcome."

Man of Honour
OP
The router is still knackered here - now not allowing anything larger than 1472 bytes through the firewall???????

Something screwey is goign on here...

Updates throughout the day may be slow coming...

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Who is Yuji Ide?

Yuji Ide was born in Saitama, Japan on January 21st 1975 and after making his race debut in 1990 in karts, he spent last fifteen years working himself up to the pinnacle of Motorsports after being confirmed to race for the Super Aguri Formula One team in 2006.

This follows on from a 2005 season that saw him participate in the Formula Nippon series where he narrowly missed out on the crown.

Date of Birth - January 21st, 1975
Birthplace - Saitama Pref.
Height - 178cm
Weight - 63kg

1990 Debut at the Racing Kart
1992 Regional Kart Championship East Kanto A1 Class (Series Ranking : 2nd) Japan Kart Grand Prix (SS Stock Class winner)
1993 Japan Kart Championship FA Class
1994 Japanese F3 Championship
1995 Japanese F3 Championship
1996 Japanese F3 Championship
1997 Japanese F3 Championship
1998 Japanese F3 Championship
1999 Formula Dream (Series Champion)
2000 Japanese F3 Championship (Series Ranking : 2nd)
2001 Japanese F3 Championship
2002 French F3 Championship
2003 Japanese Championship Formula Nippon (Series Ranking:7th)
2004 Japanese Championship Formula Nippon (Series Ranking:3rd, Win:1)
2005 Formula Nippon Mobilecast TEAM IMPUL (Winning team championship and just missing out on winning driver's championship)

Man of Honour
OP
Bahrain test is 'advantage' - Tost

At four locations around the world, F1 testing continued on Tuesday, little more than three weeks ahead of the 2006 season opener.

At Valencia in sunny Spain, four teams - with Williams' Mark Webber leading runners for Red Bull, McLaren and MF1 - circulated. Of note, McLaren's chrome-silver livery debuted in the hands of Pedro de la Rosa, while Austria's Alex Wurz marked his 32nd birthday.

Also on Valentine's Day at the Circuit Ricardo Tormo, Red Bull ran its full Bahrain-spec RB2 package, complete with new bodywork and cooling.

Over at Barcelona, also in warm Spain, BMW Sauber's Jacques Villeneuve and Robert Kubica circulated alone, even though the Hinwil squad had expected other teams to also be in action at the Circuit de Catalunya.

In fact, Sauber had actually booked the circuit in advance for exclusive use on Thursday.

Meanwhile, at the second day of Bahrain running, Ferrari's V10-powered Luca Badoer still led the field of five.

It was a more representative session at warm Sakhir, after the dust had been worn away on the opening day.

Honda's race duo Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello shone, with Ferrari racer Michael Schumacher to run on Wednesday.

'This test, we expect,' said Toro Rosso's team principal Franz Tost, 'will give us an advantage over our rivals who are back in the cold in Europe.'

Back
Top Bottom