2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Some interesting detail about the 2006 McLaren paintwork

McLaren sure to shine in 2006
McLaren may or may not have the fastest car on the grid come the Bahrain Grand Prix, but they are sure to have the brightest machine.

The MP4-21 will be the most distinctive of the 22 cars that will fill the grid this year, featuring a highly reflective chrome coating surface created after months of research.

"A lot of research and months of work have gone into creating this unique chrome finish," explained McLaren Marketing Managing Director Ekrem Sami after the team launched the new livery earlier this month.

"We are always looking at innovative ways to allow our sponsor partners to differentiate their brands from the competition through their partnership with the team, and this unique livery is designed to be extremely photogenic."

The idea, however, is not new, as the GD Racing team, who compete in the World Series by Renault, already introduced a chrome livery during the Zolder race in May last year.

McLaren apparently took notice of the livery and contacted the company responsible for the design, Kaos Design.

The process employed to obtain the chrome effect is called Kaos-Krome and takes seven days of work.

To keep the weight down, the work is applied directly to the carbon fibre. Compared to a normal paint, this does away with the first basic layer of paint.

In this case, a catalyzed primer - a special paint made of resin and an exsiccation additive - is applied, which is then sandpapered to obtain the surface as smooth as possible.

Besides the aesthetic advantages, this way of painting the car guarantees the same resistance as normal paint, can be treated in the same way as far as applying other colours or stickers on top of it is concerned, and keeps a cool temperature under the sun too.

The weight is the same as normal paint.

The chrome coating, however, costs 40% more than normal painting and it is impossible to re-touch.

One thing is certain, though: fast or not, McLaren are sure to shine this season.

What price a Direxiv McLaren B-team?

A press release issued by GP2 team, David Price Racing (DPR) has once again stirred up talk of a possible McLaren B-team.

In the release, issued on Wednesday evening, DPR announced a partnership between the British-based team and the Japanese Direxiv company, this announcement coming only days after separate statements revealing that McLaren Mercedes and Direxiv are establishing the 'Direxiv Dynamic Wellbeing Programme', and that former F1 driver, Jean Alesi has joined Direxiv as the company's Senior Executive Director.

For the last two years, McLaren has been linked with a possible B-team, with Alesi's name figuring strongly as potential team manager.

Price has strong connections with both McLaren and Mercedes, having been involved in the McLaren F1 GT racing programme and also having served as team manager with the Mercedes-Benz Sports Car team.

According to the release: "Direxiv's motorsport involvement will be substantially increased this year to include commitments in a number of international racing series from Formula 1 through to Formula Nippon. The first step of this partnership is the re-naming of the DPR team as DPR Direxiv for the GP2 series.

"We are a relatively young company, but with big ambitions in motorsport," said Direxiv's President and CEO, Misato Haga. "We recognised that DPR is not only mutually ambitious, but also has a depth of experience that will be very beneficial to us all."

BRDC vote delayed

Following an extraordinary meeting of the British Racing Drivers' club, it has been decided to delay a vote on the redevelopment of the Northamptonshire track.

In a statement released following today's meeting, BRDC Chairman, Sir Jackie Stewart, said: "Members need more information and a longer period of consultation before we put the two resolutions to a vote."

Ordinary Resolution 1 (Authority to Board to conclude negotiations with St Modwen Properties PLC relating to the development of the Silverstone Estate)

Ordinary Resolution 2 (conditional on passing of Ordinary Resolution 1) (Authority to Board to conclude negotiations with Northern Racing PLC relating to the operation of the Silverstone Racing Circuits.)

"We are confident that taking on board all the opinions and strongly held views at today's EGM we can proceed with our strategic plans for the development of Silverstone.

"However, the board accepts and supports that members need an additional period for briefing and consultation and we were happy to accept the strong view of the meeting. St Modwen and Northern Racing are fully in support of today’s decision"

Gearbox woes for Rosberg

WilliamsF1 had a very successful opening day of testing here at the Circuit de Catalunya on Tuesday with Mark Webber topping the timesheets. However, day two of their Spanish test wasn’t as productive with Webber’s teammate, Nico Rosberg suffering gearbox problems early in his session and therefore failing to set a timed lap.

Webber meanwhile managed 88 laps overall as he completed several long runs for Bridgestone. The Australian racer recorded the eleventh best time for the day, three seconds off the pace set by McLaren’s Kimi Raikkonen.

“It was a slow start for all the teams this morning due to a cold and green track surface after yesterday's rain,” said Sam Michael, Technical Director. “Mark spent the whole day doing long runs on different tyre casings to look at improving degradation. We made good progress and will continue with this in the short term. Unfortunately, Nico didn't manage to record any timed laps today due to gearbox problems. Both Mark and Nico will be driving again tomorrow.”

Frank, Mark, upbeat about '06

Sir Frank Williams has delivered an upbeat message about his team's prospects for 2006.

The 63-year-old's new blue and white car, no longer powered by a works engine or backed by a title sponsor, has shown up well on the winter tracks, after the '05 'FW27' slumped to fifth in the team tally.

Some analysts say the new Cosworth V8, although without the financial muscle of the other engine makers, is at least a match for Honda, Ferrari and Renault - if not superior.

'This year's car,' Williams said, referring to the FW28, 'is a big step forward compared to last year's (car).

'However, it's too early to comment as there are many unknown factors.'

A weakness last year was aerodynamics, but lead driver Mark Webber revealed that FW28 - with an unique barb on the rear of the engine cover - is 'very aggressive in terms of its aerodynamic design.'

The Australian told 'The Age': '(The FW28) car has been in the wind tunnel a long time and a lot of effort went into it. I hope that will translate to pace.

'Cosworth made a superb engine for us,' Webber continued, 'but being an independent operation, I hope we are in for a solid year.'

Yuji Ide makes F1 test debut

Japanese race rookie Yuji Ide made his Formula One test debut at Barcelona on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old, to drive in grands prix alongside countryman Takuma Sato for new Japanese team 'Super Aguri' next month, lapped more than 9 seconds off the pace over 44 laps in warm Spain, until the reworked 2002 Arrows broke down.

At the front of the field was Kimi Räikkönen, whose 2006 McLaren car is finally showing some pace at tests.

The Finn led the field of fifteen, including both Renault racers who endured a difficult start to the day with identical problems on their first out-laps. The team said it was 'small software problems'.

'But it wasn't as bad as it seemed,' said chief engineer Christian Silk, even though neither blue and yellow car re-emerged until after the lunch break.

Honda and MF1 were also in action, while Williams' Nico Rosberg and Red Bull veteran David Coulthard had a little biff on the way out of pitlane.

Later, DC's Ferrari engine failed.

Toyota turned up to compare its newly-uncovered Bahrain spec bodywork package with other runners, and wound up about a full second off the top pace.

But Ralf Schumacher said: 'It is still early to say where we stand.'

In rainy Italy, BMW Sauber joined Toro Rosso on the Imola track. An STR statement said testing 'was pretty much wiped out' at the sodden venue.

F1 circus gould go to Kazakhstan

Kazakhstan could be eyeing a future on the formula one grid, with news that a race track is to be built in the republic south of Russia.

Malaysia's National News Agency is reporting that Kazakhstan government minister Askar Mamin is in Kuala Lumpur to stage talks about the running of Astana airport.

In a statement, Mamin confirmed that he also hoped to engage the help of Malaysia Airports to establish 'a racing circuit' near the airport in Kazakhstan.

Astana is in the central north of the country.

The news agency said the Kazakhstan delegation was briefed by Malaysian officials 'on the returns of investment from the organisation ... of formula one races', its 'benefits to the nation as a whole', as well as 'its international impact'.

The Story From Formula One's Wednesday Testing - Reliability

Japanese race rookie Yuji Ide made his formula one test debut at Barcelona on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old, to drive in grands prix alongside countryman Takuma Sato for new Japanese team 'Super Aguri' next month, lapped more than 9 seconds off the pace over 44 laps in warm Spain, until the reworked 2002 Arrows broke down.

At the front of the field was Kimi Raikkonen, whose 2006 McLaren car is finally showing some pace at tests.

The Finn led the field of fifteen, including both Renault racers who endured a difficult start to the day with identical problems on their first out-laps. The team said it was 'small software problems'.

''But it wasn't as bad as it seemed,'' said chief engineer Christian Silk, even though neither blue and yellow car re-emerged until after the lunch break.

Honda and MF1 were also in action, while Williams' Nico Rosberg and Red Bull veteran David Coulthard had a little biff on the way out of pitlane.

Later, DC's Ferrari engine failed.

Toyota turned up to compare its newly-uncovered Bahrain spec bodywork package with other runners, and wound up about a full second off the top pace.

But Ralf Schumacher said: ''It is still early to say where we stand.''

In rainy Italy, BMW Sauber joined Toro Rosso on the Imola track. An STR statement said testing 'was pretty much wiped out' at the sodden venue.

I knows its still early doors for Team Aguri, but 9 seconds off the pace :eek: I really hope they pull in that time because the first weekend is just over 2 weeks away now (yay!!) and thats a massive amount of speed/handling/experience to find in such a short space of time.

I wonder if I could place a bet on which lap they will be lapped on first?

Raikkonen upbeat about McLaren form

Kimi Raikkonen was upbeat about the performance of his McLaren team after topping the times in testing at the Barcelona circuit.

The Finn driver posted the fastest time of the year so far in a V8 engine at the Spanish track as his team continued making progress following the engine problems which hindered them early on.

Today's test was the first time Raikkonen managed to complete more than a race distance without any problems. He completed 96 laps.

The McLaren driver was very happy with his day and admitted he feels confident the team are going in the right direction.

"It is definitely looking better than a few weeks ago," Raikkonen told autosport.com at the end of the day. "It is hard to say exactly where we are, but for once I did two race distances and the engine was still going.

"I think it's a good car. It's better than last year. It's difficult to compare because of the different engine and aero level but is quicker. We have to see where we car in Bahrain.

"We still have a lot of work to do, but I'm happier now we have done race distances and it's nice to see myself being quick in the short and long runs.

"We are definitely going in the right way."

I love this line..

"but for once I did two race distances and the engine was still going."

Shows the feelings towards Mercedes pretty well tbh.

Barrichello: Honda and Renault on par

Rubens Barrichello believes McLaren have made a big step forward in recent weeks, but the Brazilian reckons his Honda team and rivals Renault are on top at the moment.

"Definitely McLaren made a jump and at the moment I think we are on a par with Renault," Barrichello told autosport.com during testing at Barcelona. "Some circuits they are better and some we are better, it depends on the track.

"The balance of the car is good, we are still trying out aero. It's almost final but I think I have a wing to try out. This car is very easy to drive and it is very quick, it is a good car.

"We made a big jump in the Bahrain test, it was one of the best things we have done," added Barrichello, refering to last week's test at Sakhir, home of the first race of the season in over two weeks time.

Honda and Renault have been the pace-setters during most of winter testing, with McLaren now looking very fast after having worked on solving their engine problems.

Kimi Raikkonen set the fastest time of the year in testing at Barcelona yesterday, although Renault's Fernando Alonso went even faster this morning and even beat last year's pole position time in his V8-engined R26.

Barrichello's Honda team have also been close to the top of the times.

"We are very well prepared for this coming season, and Jenson [Button] was quite happy too. On the same tyres we were doing the same time, we are pretty well matched so it will be fun.

"We will be on top of the game," said the Brazilian. "Okay, sometimes we have bad days but then good days too."

Barrichello, who joined Honda after six seasons with the Ferrari team, believes he has made the right move.

"I think I have made the right change," he said. "We are going forward together and I am quite pleased about that. I have given them (the team) as much as they have given me.

"The team has definitely made an effort: who can have two cars ready at the launch? It is incredible.

"If there was one car there would have be been a delay until I get in the car, so the team has done very very well, so for the season we are prepared but the competition is definitely hotting up."

Well....they're getting better....

Today's Times from Barcelona - All Times Unofficial

Code:
[b]
Name		Team		Tyres	Laps	Time		Gap[/b]
Button		Honda		M	116	1:13.935	139.992 mph 	
Fisichella	Renault		M	125	1:13.971	0.036 	
Alonso		Renault		M	113	1:13.977	0.042 	
Barrichello	Honda		M	119	1:14.266	0.331 	
Montoya		McLaren		M	131	1:14.588	0.653 	
Raikkonen	McLaren		M	79	1:15.475	1.540 	
Rosberg		WilliamsF1	B	83	1:15.774	1.839 	
R Schumacher	Toyota		B	97	1:15.973	2.038 	
Coulthard	Red Bull	M	54	1:16.034	2.099 	
Trulli		Toyota		B	103	1:16.057	2.122 	
Webber		WilliamsF1	B	97	1:16.128	2.193 	
Klien		Red Bull	M	55	1:16.923	2.988 	
Albers		Midland		B	79	1:17.142	3.207 	
Sato		Super Aguri	B	58	1:19.787	5.852

Only 6 seconds behind... ;)

If rumours from the industry are true.. Honda are going to be quite the team this year... all the best to Button and Barrichello... dont know who i would rather have win.. well, actually i do, its Button for England.. but i feel sorry for Barichello after living under Schumaker :mad: for so long..

Flibster i know you said they havnt released much but is there any info on BMW Sauber? Its like they ant saying a word with whats happening. Every one is going to forget they are even in F1 soon.

They're being as quiet as usual at the moment - testing at Imola yesterday in the rain so no real indication of pace. JV put in a 1min 30s best lap.

Possibly the most exciting thing coming out of Hinwill is the "Update your cap" programme - if you have a Williams BMW or Suaber Petronas cap you can register and they'll send you a voucher to allow you to trade in your old hat for a brand spanking new BWM Sauber one at your local BMW dealer.

Back
Top Bottom