2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Soldato
rpstewart said:
Possibly the most exciting thing coming out of Hinwill is the "Update your cap" programme - if you have a Williams BMW or Suaber Petronas cap you can register and they'll send you a voucher to allow you to trade in your old hat for a brand spanking new BWM Sauber one at your local BMW dealer.
I got my voucher earlier this week - great idea. I've also got a couple of faded Williams-BMW shirts, wish they were being replaced!

Man of Honour
OP
Zip said:
Is 1min 30s a good lap time at imola?
I dont have a cap :(

In the rain...who knows?

They're testing away from most of the other teams, it's still technically the Sauber car as no way did they have enough time to dictate the design and they're just not doing anything remarkable...

There's nothing out about them....

And I had actually forgotten they'd existed tbh....Started on the stuff for the 1st GP and was missing a team and was boogered if I could spot which...and it was them...

But I was like that with Sauber as well - always there...never special...

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
Possibly the most exciting thing coming out of Hinwill is the "Update your cap" programme - if you have a Williams BMW or Suaber Petronas cap you can register and they'll send you a voucher to allow you to trade in your old hat for a brand spanking new BWM Sauber one at your local BMW dealer.

Wonder if this includes Sauber pit crew helmets as well.... ;)

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
MF1 has 'no passion'

MF1 Racing is a soulless team which does not deserve support just because it is a small independent outfit, according to Renault’s engineering director Pat Symonds.

Previewing the 2006 season in F1 Racing magazine, Symonds said: “Are Midland still around? I haven’t looked recently.

“I see nothing in them that has any passion…so I see no reason to say, ‘Good luck to the little guys’.

“They had a damn good [Toyota] engine last year, but did nothing with it.

“As a team, they do nothing to enhance Formula 1.”

Midland boss Alex Shnaider was criticised by many F1 insiders last season for failing to commit sufficiently whole-heartedly to the sport.

F1 impresario Bernie Ecclestone recently said he felt “a bit guilty” for advising Shnaider to buy Jordan since the business tycoon “probably underestimated the work that comes with a successful F1 team”.

However, Tiago Monteiro’s revelation at the recent team launch that MF1 has almost doubled its budget for 2006 suggests that Shnaider now understands the scale of the challenge required to be competitive.

The Portuguese driver has also been impressed by the performance of the new M16 chassis in testing so far.

“The car’s reliability is excellent and our pace is improving,” he said in Barcelona on Tuesday.

Man of Honour
OP
Just for you Zip.....Dug these up - they're not that recent..Monday I think...

Theissen: "We will be on the spot."

In 2006, the BMW Sauber F1 Team will contest its maiden Formula One season. Hence, it's the major goal to gain experience and to merge its two sites, located in Munich and Hinwil. The team is determined to use every possible chance of securing good results.

In a show of cautious optimism the german director of BmwSauberF1 reacted to some comments made by Lauda and other F1 insiders.

"Should we be offered an opportunity we will be on the spot," says BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen. "Winning can't be scheduled. But you can plan the improvement of your car. Afterwards, you just have to wait and see how your competitors deliver."

"I'd love to be able to answer the question as to when we’ll be able to battle for victories," adds Theissen. "From my point of view, it would be unrealistic to claim that we are going to win a race in 2006. But obviously, we hope to get as close to winning as possible."

In its comeback season, back in 2000, BMW proved that you can start into a debut season in fine style. In the season opener held in Melbourne, the BMW V10 engine accelerated Ralf Schumacher to third place.

Didn't BMW also have 150 engine failures that season and 90 odd in the second season?

Even Mercedes last year didn't hit that total. ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
BMW 'quicker than expected' - Zanardi

Former formula one driver Alex Zanardi is surprised at the pace of BMW Sauber in winter tests. The Italian, who drove 44 grands prix in the 90s but lost his legs in an horror Champ Car crash in 2001, said the new Hinwil collaboration has 'got the potential' to succeed in the F1 category.

''Taking a look at the times set in the tests,'' 39-year-old Zanardi said, ''I'd say that the team is quicker than I expected it to be.'' Bologna born Zanardi's last F1 stint was in 1999, at Williams, but he also drove races for Lotus, Minardi and Jordan.

Today, he steers a hand-controlled BMW in the world touring car series, and recalled how 'extremely difficult' it is 'to just be a part' of the F1 world. Zanardi continued: ''But it's far more demanding if you want to battle at the front end of the grid and win races.''

Man of Honour
OP
Valencia layout set for major revamp

Valencia promoters have announced plans to modify the Spanish track ahead of the possible inclusion of the circuit on the Formula One calendar.

Just one day after representatives of the Valencian government met with Formula One commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone in London to talk about the possibility of hosting a race in the future, the circuit has announced a project to improve the facilities.

The plan is to make the layout faster and more spectacular, but organisers said they intend to keep the track's main characteristic unchanged: the whole circuit will be visible from every grandstand.

With the new layout, the length of the track will grow from four to 4.4km. The project will include the addition of a new straight, wider turns and two hairpins to improve overtaking, replacing a twisty and slow part of the circuit.

"We have decided to work ahead of a possible decision to include the circuit on the Formula One calendar," said the track's general manager Eduardo Nogues.

"Formula One is the benchmark for every racing facility and a dream for all the Valencian racing fans, so now it's the time to show to Ecclestone and everyone involved in F1 that Valencia wants to host a race and that's why the stands will be filled on April (for the GP2 race)."

Valencia will host the first round of the GP2 championship this year.

Man of Honour
OP
'My religion is Ferrari' - Todt

Ferrari principal Jean Todt turns sixty on Sunday.

And the Frenchman - who joined the Italian marque in 1993 and set about constructing the modern super-team with Michael Schumacher, Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne - has vowed to take at least one day off to celebrate, according to 'Sport Bild'.

'Ferrari has become my religion,' Todt - who works up to 16 hours every day - told the German sports broadsheet.

Anxious and obsessive, Todt wears bandaids on the tips of his fingers to control the habit of nail-biting. He outlined the secret of success as endless vigilance, after starting his career as a rally co-pilot for drivers including Ove Andersson.

Todt, whose Ferrari contract expires at the end of 2006, said: 'You have to always be on the ball, every day, every hour.

'There are no moments in which you should lean back and say it is done.'

Meanwhile, on Friday, Alain Prost (51) and Pedro de la Rosa (35) also celebrate birthdays.

Man of Honour
OP
'I've never been so motivated' - Schu

A fortnight ahead of the 2006 season opener, Michael Schumacher - F1's oldest but most successful driver - has moved to silence any talk that retirement looms.

In the 'TV Movie' magazine, Ferrari's 37-year-old said: 'Even after all those successful years, I have never been as motivated as I am today.'

With the single (farcical) win at Indianapolis the only fruit of 2005, Schumacher said his goal with the scarlet team this year is simple: 'To get the titles.'

Michael also revealed that he is happy with 24-year-old Felipe Massa, his new number-two teammate at Maranello.

Asked about the young Brazilian, Schumacher commented: 'The engineers are happy with his work, and so am I.'

Man of Honour
OP
Ralf rules out brother's title bid

Michael Schumacher should forget about winning the 2006 championship, according to his younger brother Ralf.

30-year-old Schumacher, seven years the junior of seven time title winner Michael, was quoted by 'Sport1.de' as ruling out an eighth drivers' triumph for his Ferrari-clad sibling.

'I do not see Ferrari's potential,' the German said. 'I am sure Michael will have fun this year, but you can rule out the title.'

Maranello based Ferrari has been singled out as a potential challenger to Renault, Honda and McLaren in 2006, but reliability problems have beset the new '248' racer.

Ralf, too, has some insight into Ferrari's beleaguered tyre supplier, Bridgestone, after Toyota switched to the Japanese company.

He insisted: 'So I simply do not see the potential of Ferrari.'

Man of Honour
OP
Police drop Klien assault probe

A police investigation into Christian Klien's alleged assault on a fellow nightclub goer has been dropped, Austrian media reports say.

The national broadcasting corporation, Osterreichischer Rundfunk (ORF), claims that the man who was apparently hospitalised withdrew his statement against the Red Bull racer.

Austrian Klien, 23, vehemently denied that he had got into a fight earlier this month at the 'Enjoy' nightclub, but he did admit to a dispute over a drinks bill.

Meanwhile, the 'Rheintalische Volkszeitung' newspaper reported that the Formula One driver will move from Austria to live in Diepoldsau, which is located on the Austrian border in the far east of Switzerland.

Man of Honour
OP
Aguri pilots admit they will struggle

Super Aguri drivers Takuma Sato and Yuji Ide have admitted that the team may not be up to speed in its F1 debut.

Although Sato got the deficit to the leaders down six seconds at Circuit de Catalunya on Thursday, the Japanese racer said: "In terms of performance, we need to work hard."

Moreover, Aguri's initial 2006 car, based on a four-year-old Arrows, was not running race-legal bodywork. Revised aerodynamics that conform to the 2006 regulations will be tried at Silverstone next week.

Sato's countryman and rookie team-mate Yuji Ide added at the Spanish test: "Hopefully I can do a better lap time at the races."

At the Barcelona venue on Thursday, Honda's Jenson Button led the field of fifteen, also comprising Renault, McLaren Mercedes, Williams Cosworth, Toyota, Red Bull Ferrari and MF1 Toyota. BMW Sauber and Toro Rosso continued to lap at the soggy Imola circuit.

2005 runner-up Kimi Raikkonen agreed with reports that his shining silver team is finally starting to look good.

"I feel that we have improved a lot over the last few weeks, but we need to keep pushing as there is still work to be done."

Really?? Going to be off the pace? No **** sherlock!

Man of Honour
OP
F1 parades... without F1 cars???

On Sunday, the organisers of next month's Malaysian Grand Prix will throw a F1 street demo on the nearby Langkawi islands.

Porsche GT3 and Formula BMW single seaters will be in action, but general manager Datuk Ahmad Mustafa expressed regret that he had not managed to organise that a Grand Prix car join in.

"Of course," he told the Bernama news agency, "if we had a choice, we would love to bring the F1 car here."

Meanwhile, in the city of Manama in Bahrain, a similar 'Formula One' street parade will be thrown on Friday, but - like in Malaysia - F1 horse power will be missing.

Man of Honour
OP
A feast for Formula One

Visitors to the 2006 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix can look forward to the best of everything from one of the world’s most prestigious sporting events. There is of course the on-track action from Formula One, the pinnacle of world motorsport, and a host of supporting races and track demonstrations that will bring entertainment and excitement in equal measure.

There is also the Yalla Bahrain! programme of sporting, cultural and community events designed to celebrate the Grand Prix and Bahrain itself in the eyes of the world and the people of Bahrain.

Then there are the state-of-the-art facilities at Bahrain International Circuit and the unrivalled infrastructure designed to provide the organisers, teams, media and race fans with the ultimate experience of modern motor sport. Meanwhile for the thousands of corporate and VIP guests attending Bahrain International Circuit over the course of the event, there is much to savour including a culinary tour de force.

The VIP hospitality in the Paddock Club™, the Oasis Complex’s 12 lounges and the iconic Sakhir Tower is provided by the Swiss-based Allsport Management, which provides for the needs of VIPs at every round of the FIA Formula One World Championship.

In the 35 hospitality suites in the Main Grandstand, catering is provided by the Bahrain International Circuit. For such a feast of motorsport action, with such a strong presence of VIP hospitality as the Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix enjoys as international business leaders and decision makers gather for the event, the catering teams must be at peak performance. So too must they have the resources to cater for thousands of prestigious guests in a manner to which they must expect from one of the most prestigious events in the Middle East.

The Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix musters enough premium quality staff, equipment and cuisine to service a host of five-star restaurants, including:

20 tonnes of ice
1500 cakes
2300 lobsters
1800 croissants
1.75 tonnes of beef
750kg of prawns
1.4 tonnes of fish
1 tonne of pasta
6000 bread rolls
6000 eggs
5000 flat bread
900 ltrs of milk
100kg of mozzarella
5000 ltrs of orange juice
500kg of potatoes
400kg of chocolate
500kg of salad
1 tonne of vegetables
300kg of chicken breast
400kg of strawberries
200kg of rice
3000 baklawa

There is an abundance of talent required to prepare and serve the food, maintain the hospitality areas and manage the operations, together with an astonishing amount of cutlery, crockery and equipment including:

20km of cables
12,000 cut flowers
12 cooling rooms
4,000 flowering plants
42,000 glasses
400 green plants
80,000 pieces cutlery
250 chefs and kitchen staff
32,000 plates
400 waiting staff and security
19,000 cups and saucers
300 large pieces of kitchen
30,000 other crockery items

This equipment is In order to ensure the comfort of the guests in all hospitality suites, lounges, VIP areas and Paddock Club™ a sophisticated air conditioning system consisting of 20 air-cooled chillers, 96 air handling units, 8 rooftop packaged units, 23 mini split units and 6 heat pumps that is connected to a sophisticated computer control and monitoring system for optimum indoor climatic conditions.

The air conditioning at the Bahrain International Circuit provides a total of approximately 3000 tons of cooling capacity. Not only is Bahrain ready for the race, it is ready to deliver a successful and enjoyable event to its visitors and guests.

Man of Honour
OP
Midland seeks Russia’s best and brightest

With just weeks to go before the action kicks off in Bahrain, everyone at MF1 Racing is hard at work, readying the M16 for its debut race. The first weekend of the season will also see the team make history, as it becomes the first to enter a Grand Prix with a Russian entrant’s licence.

The honour of representing a country brand new to F1 is not taken lightly, and it’s a key part of the team’s future plans.

“I’m not Russian, but my family was born in the former USSR,” explains Managing Director Colin Kolles. “And obviously, Alex (Shnaider, MF1 Racing’s owner) has very close ties to that part of the world. The Russian Automobile Federation has been very supportive of our efforts to go racing with a Russian licence, which helps promote motorsport in their country. It’s something very positive for the sport of F1 and we hope it will be positive for our team, as well.

“We think it will be a good platform to raise awareness of the sport in Russia and attract Russian partners, or to help bring Western business ventures into Russia. We see it as a win-win proposition.”

Also benefiting from this East-West association will be a new generation of promising Russian drivers.

“We will also be launching a young driver programme in Russia to bring young drivers up through the karting ranks and so on, so we’ll be building up the sport at the local level, as well.”

But hot-shoes are not the only ones being targeted in Midland’s quest to bring Russia’s best and brightest talent to the team.

“Russia is renowned for its advanced scientific community, so we’ll also try to integrate young Russian engineers into our staff. Who we hire won’t be my decision; it will be (Technical Director) James Key’s. At the moment, we’re still busy with other things, preparing for the upcoming season, so it will take some time before we can focus our attention on this. But even now, we’re beginning to get some applications from Russia. They have a successful aerospace industry, and a lot of engineers could easily adapt their skills to F1. So there is huge potential for us in this area.”

Kolles says he is happy with the steps that the team has made over the winter, although he acknowledges that there is still a long way to go.

“Our plan is to work at full power, look forward, and give the maximum. That’s our plan. We will see how quickly we can achieve our goals, and without over-promising, it’s safe to say that our goals are definitely not to be ninth in the championship again.

“I hope people will realise how serious we are about succeeding in this sport. It was tough for us initially, with people not believing in us, or trying to spread rumours which were the opposite of reality, but that’s life. Now, it’s time to move forward, step by step. We said we would have a brand-new car for this season, and we do – that’s the first step. Next, we have to keep working hard, doing things our way. As for the rest, time will tell.”

Of course, this year MF1 is in the unusual position of being the only team able to make a direct comparison with another, because Toyota shares the same V8 engine and Bridgestone tyres.

“It’s an interesting comparison,” admits Kolles. “But I’m not concerned about it, not at all. We have our own way, and we make the most of what we have. It’s not our main priority to reach the level of other teams’ resources. We don’t sit around thinking, ‘Toyota has this,’ or ‘Ferrari has that.’ Our main target is to improve constantly. We have to make progress on the track every day, and we have to work hard to raise more sponsorship, which we are doing. James (Key), of course, is working hard to get more resources for development, and that pushes me to secure more funds for the team!"

“But it’s really not a matter of having thousands of people; it’s a matter of working efficiently. We have a new car – a nice looking car – but the work has just begun. We haven’t achieved anything yet. I’ll be happy when we get the results.”

Man of Honour
OP
The story so far in 2006

Pre-season testing is never very reliable to discern exactly how competitive Formula 1 teams really are, although it usually gives some indication as to who we should expect to see at the front. Much depends on whether or not teams run their cars in fully legal spec and the fuel loads that are put into the cars. Sometimes good times will suddenly pop up from nowhere but this is usually due to the fact that a team drained the tank and told the driver to see what he could do. On other occasions teams have been known to deliberately disguise their potential in order to wrong-foot the opposition at the first race.

The pattern that seems to have emerged thus far is that the Renault and Honda teams will be fighting for victory at the start of the year. Both teams have been quick and the cars have been pretty reliable as well, although both have had problems. The Renault R26 should be a better car that last year's R25, in relative terms because, obviously, the change of engines has disrupted any direct comparisons. Honda too has the resources, the money and, perhaps most important, the desire to win. Last year Honda was humiliated and that is often a good incentive for a big improvement.

By that reckoning Ferrari should also be good but thus far the signs have not been hugely positive. The Bridgestone tyres are still, apparently, not as good as the Michelins in normal racing conditions, although we still need to see more indications of durability to be sure which will be better in the races. The Ferrari drivers have not turned in the times nor have they been very glowing in their remarks. Others, such as Toyota's Ralf Schumacher, has been less reserved. Ralf says that he cannot see the Ferrari 248F1 having the potential to win races.

The potential of Toyota is also a bit of a mystery because the team has been working away not far from the pace throughout the winter. There seems to be a tyre disadvantage (particularly as Toyota is new to Bridgestone) and the team made it very clear that it would not have the correct aerodynamic package until very recently. Toyota should be good this year but the question is just how good that will be.

There is also a big question mark over McLaren and judging by the early remarks about the MP4-21, the drivers were less than impressed with the Mercedes-Benz V8 engine. Things have improved but the fast times set in recent days seem to be more to do with fuel loads and engine lifing than anything else. Running in normal conditions the cars do not seem to be there. However, McLaren must never be underestimated and there has been some improvement since the early tests.

Of the rest Williams seems to have a good strong engine but there are questions over the effectiveness of the tyres, as the team has switched to Bridgestone. The chassis does not seem to be too bad either but it looks as though much will be down to the tyres.

BMW seems to be going well - particularly in the PR department - as it carefully downplayed ambitions at the launch and is now looking rather promising. Having said that there is no real sign that the team will have madse up the ground necessary to be challenging for honours.

Red Bull should be doing well given that a Ferrari engine in a Mark Smith chassis ought to be a potent combination but the early overheating problems will have slowed progress and the very fact that a redesign was needed suggests that the resulting car will not be as efficient as had been planned. The team has done a good job to gloss over the problems and so we will be hoping to see them deliver.

Scuderia Toro Rosso will be a lot more competitive than Minardi used to be, thanks mainly to the fact that the team will have rev-limited V10s and is using a car which looks a lot like an old Red Bull RB1. If the team cannot achieve something half-decent with this combination, at least compared to its traditional rivals, it will be a disappointment.

MF1 Racing is fortunate that Super Aguri F1 has turned up and so will start the year on the penultimate row of the grid. Once Super Aguri gets a new car things may change with the team hoping to jump up once the new car is sorted. For the new team, however, this is a learning year and so expectations should not be carefully measured.

Thus far, Jenson Button has set the best time of the winter with a V8 car at Barcelona - the principal winter testing venue - clocking a 1m13.935s lap. This compares with the best V10 time at the track, set in April 2005 when Button clocked 1m13.552s. This means that the switch from V10s to V8s has not much changed the lap times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom