2005 Belgian Grand Prix

Man of Honour
OP
Michelin threaten 2007 pull-out

Edouard Michelin makes his views clear at Spa

Michelin said this evening at Spa Francorchamps that they will pull out of Formula One if plans for a single tyre manufacturer are forced through by the FIA for the 2008 season.

Michelin currently supplies seven of the ten teams on the Grand Prix grid while rival brand Bridgestone supplies Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi. In a day of announcements, Red Bull has confirmed they will stay with Michelin in 2006, while Williams are to move over to Bridgestone and will be followed by Toyota.

In a press conference this evening Michelin chief Edouard Michelin warned: "We will withdraw from 2008 if there is a single tyre and before that, before 2007 maybe. We will consider the situation."

The teams, manufacturers and the governing body, the FIA, are currently in discussions over plans for a new set of regulations to commence when the current Concorde Agreement comes to an end in 2007.

FIA President Max Mosley has been pushing for the introduction of a single tyre supplier, the contract for which would be put out to tender for both manufactures as well as any outside companies. But with an agreement expected on the new rules by the end of the year, Michelin's comments suggested the company could end their involvement in the sport as soon as the end of 2006 if the single supplier proposals are voted in.

"We have stated repeatedly that we are opposed to this proposal made by the FIA of controlled monopoly tyres with a specific tyre supplier for 2008," Michelin said. "The main argument which is presented in favour of control tyres is that competing tyre manufacturers increase the number of tests and therefore Formula One costs. But we have solutions to reduce costs without limiting competition."

Michelin argued that his company's work with rivals Pirelli in the World Rally Championship has proven that tyre manufacturers can compete openly while maintaining a controlled budget. He appealed to the Michelin teams to consult with their Bridgestone rivals to discuss proposals to achieve cost savings, among which are possible measures concerning the number of tyres per race as well as limiting testing distance.

"There is probably more than 100 million (Dollars) to save by controlling the testing so the economic argument to eliminate competition and choice between and for tyre manufacturers simply does not make sense," he continued. "This is our analysis. So maybe there are other reasons behind the FIA proposals for monopoly tyre and we would like those behind the ideas within the FIA to be transparent about their intentions and this is not the case today."

This evening's Michelin press conference at Spa

"In the event that control tyre was adopted, we assume this would involve tenders. What are the selection criteria and will the FIA disclose that? We are seeking more transparency on this."

Michelin arrived in Formula One in March 2001 as supplier to five of the then 11 teams - Williams, Benetton, Jaguar, Minardi and Prost - and have gradually increased their share of the grid.

McLaren Mercedes switched to Michelin tyres two years ago, BAR Honda made the move for the start of last year and Sauber crossed to the French manufacturer at the start of this season.

The introduction of new regulations that require tyres to last for a full race distance this season has seen Michelin rise to the top with Bridgestone struggling to perform after winning the title for the last seven years. But Bridgestone remains committed to the sport whereas Michelin are no longer happy with the proposed tyre rules for the future.

Man of Honour
OP
Here's the latest news...

Difference of opinion over off-shelf packages

Despite the news that McLaren-Mercedes is to be involved with a 'B Team', Mercedes-Benz Motorsport boss, leading to talk of the new team running 'old' McLaren chassis and engines, Norbert Haug, has said that his company is against the idea and that in his opinion the rules forbid it.

"The story was we would use McLarens or change McLarens or whatever, but to my knowledge we cannot use McLarens, for a B-team," he said on Friday, "that is not allowed by the rules, and I think everyone should know that we are very much against used Formula One cars. We don't think that is the key to the future, we think it is against the independent teams if you sell used McLarens, Renaults, Ferraris and so on. We don't want to have that and this needs to be properly discussed.

"So the rumour that used McLarens can run in 2007 is not possible according to the rules," he added. "I don't know where this story comes from. Of course, there are discussions in place, there are contacts with various people, but no decision and I cannot see how that could happen in 2007 really, maybe things are changing but you need your own car, as far as I am concerned. This is how I read the rules.

When asked if the proposed rules for 2008 allow this, he replied: "They do not. That is in discussion. They do not.

"To my knowledge, we have no second hand cars in 2008," he continued. "Firstly we do not have the rules in place, secondly there are ideas on the table but this was never confirmed or written into the rules that used Formula One cars should be the future from 2008 onwards. Or I got it wrong, I don't know"

However, Renault boss, Flavio Briatore, sees it differently.

"I feel a bit different from Norbert," admitted the Italian. "We need to find a way to have a better show in Formula One. Formula One is a television event. Technology is important, everyone has technology. In GP2 we have technology and it is only a question of the way you packaged the technology. For me it is really strange. The GP2 championship costs 0 to 65 percent of what costs the championship of Formula One. I don't know what is the difference.

"We talk every year about all these technologies and things like that and in the meantime we have the spectators walk away from the television, in that time we have less spectators in the grandstand, and I mean, I see people enthusiastic to see GP2. I don't understand why GP2 cost 2.5 million and our team and other teams cost maybe between three and five hundred million. I do not see what is the difference.

"Regarding the car, and this is my idea from the beginning, it has not changed, if you have the freedom, why does the Jordan team need 300 people or 250 people. We need to encourage people to come into Formula One so maybe for one or two years you allow them to buy a car. I see nothing wrong. I did that many years ago with Benetton and Ligier. Benetton was always quicker than Ligier because the difference is the organisation, the driver and whatever. I mean, I have nothing against that.

"What I really want to see is Formula One more human," he continued, "to have a better show for our public and not spend this money we spend. Because for me, you see the race of GP2 and the race of Formula One and maybe next year the difference of GP2 to Formula One is just four or five seconds difference. Really, I don't know what is the magic about our racing. I see a lot of magic in GP2."

Man of Honour
OP
Michelin makes its feelings clear

As they stand, the proposed Formula 1 regulations which have been submitted by the FIA at the FIA's World Council deny teams any kind of choice of tire supplier from 2008.

From our point of view, this proposal from the FIA:

Is in contradiction with the spirit of racing and the very essence of the values of competition

Is contrary to the spectators' and TV audiences' interests

Is not the only way of reducing costs

Does not guarantee fair treatment of all teams

We have proposed cost-reducing solutions and are open to any and all related discussions.

Accordingly, if the FIA policy is not changed within the next few weeks and should the control tyre principle be passed by the FIA World Council, Michelin would be forced to question its involvement in Formula 1 in 2008.

Michelin could even reconsider its participation in 2007 given that, out of respect for its partners and under current F1 rules, Michelin will continue to supply tires to its partner teams in 2006. 2007 would, therefore, quickly illustrate the consequences of the FIA's policies.

Man of Honour
OP
FIA reacts to Michelin... and how

The FIA has noted Mr Michelin’s comments to the press at Spa-Francorchamps.

He is clearly irritated that the FIA condemned Michelin's failure to provide suitable tyres for the 2005 United States Grand Prix. Mr Michelin should try to understand that no governing body, competitor or member of the paying public could be happy with a supplier which turned up with the wrong equipment and wrecked a major world championship event.

Regarding the move for a single tyre supplier, Mr Michelin should be aware that the proposal did not come from the FIA but from all the competing teams, including all of Mr Michelin's teams. There are powerful arguments for a single tyre in Formula One. If Mr Michelin is not aware of these simple facts he shows an almost comical lack of knowledge of modern Formula One.

Mr Michelin is also quoted as complaining that Yokohama won the recent tender for the FIA World Touring Car Championship. This was quite simply because theirs was the best bid. Their success had nothing whatever to do with Michelin's debacle in Indianapolis, indeed the final tendering decision was made before the 2005 United Sates Grand Prix.

Man of Honour
OP
Grand Prix Masters Releases Specs, and Drawings of Cars

The 20 Formula One legends who will be on the grid for the inaugural
Altech SA Grand Prix Masters event at Kyalami on 13 November will be
sitting in front of 600 brake horse power machines, capable of speeds of
more than 320kph.

F1 greats including Nigel Mansell, Alain Prost, Emerson Fittipaldi and
Ricardo Patrese will be competing against each other in the all-new single
seater race car that has been designed and built by Delta Motorsport
(Northamptonshire, UK).

The Grand Prix Masters cars are to be powered by an 80-degree 3.5-litre V8
Nicholson McLaren Cosworth engine, which will produce in excess of 600bhp.

According to event director Duncan Heafield, the car is based on the
highly successful Cosworth XB Indycar engine. Nicholson McLaren has
developed this normally-aspirated version offering more than 600bhp at
10,400rpm while maximum torque is achieved at over 320 lb ft at 7,800rpm.

The engine combines compact dimensions, minimum weight, maximum strength
and awesome power output.

The 650kg cars (excluding driver) will be equipped with a six-speed paddle
shift gearbox and at the opening race in Kyalami, drivers are expected to
be exposed to cornering g-loads of around 2.5g.

Heafield confirms that electronic driver aids have been kept to a minimum
and a stable aerodynamic platform has been defined in an effort to
maximise driver input, involvement and overtaking.

Delta Motorsports in Northampton (UK) are busy and well underway with the
production of the race cars with a series of test sessions scheduled from
next month. Grand Prix Masters are in the process of applying for FIA
sanctioning and in the meantime, continue to work very closely with the
British Automobile Racing Club (BARC) who are providing invaluable counsel
and support on matters pertaining to sporting code, technical regulations
and race control.

The Altech South African Grand Prix Masters supports Unite Against Hunger
and The Nelson Mandela Children's Fund in the fight against Aids and all
proceeds will go towards alleviating the Aids pandemic in our country. Two
other charities supported by the Altech Grand Prix Masters are St Mary's
Hospital and the Topsy Foundation. St Mary's Hospital supports 750 000
people in it's area, many of which are the poorest of the poor and either
have HIV or full blown AIDS and the Topsy Foundation supports a
multifacted approach to fight of HIV and AIDS.

With limited tickets on sale this year, it is strongly suggested that fans
purchase tickets well in advance to avoid disappointment. Tickets for the
Altech South African Grand Prix are available at all Shoprite Checkers,
Checkers-Hyper Money Market Counters and through Computicket.

gpmcar.jpg

gpmcar-side.jpg

Associate
That masters is gonna be fantastic. Watching Mansell bomb round the track again is gonna be sooooo sweet.

EDIT - I dont think it is but the mist and fog in the air has made the track damp-wet atm i believe.

Soldato
Byron5184 said:
That masters is gonna be fantastic. Watching Mansell bomb round the track again is gonna be sooooo sweet.

EDIT - I dont think it is but the mist and fog in the air has made the track damp-wet atm i believe.

I'm sure we'lll be getting the Mansell whinge going again :D

edit: I'm not sure if I want rain or not

Man of Honour
OP
Apparently it's been downpours on and off...

GP2 race was red flagged due to far too many accidents. :D

Apparently during the Mini race 1 car nearly went through the Armco barrier and another rolled around 6 times.

Damn...sounds fun to be there watching.

But...I want to drive Spa in that weather. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Flibster said:
Apparently it's been downpours on and off...

GP2 race was red flagged due to far too many accidents. :D

Apparently during the Mini race 1 car nearly went through the Armco barrier and another rolled around 6 times.

Damn...sounds fun to be there watching.

But...I want to drive Spa in that weather. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Yikes 6 times....we need piccies

if its wet then I hope its a safe race

Back
Top Bottom