14	18	Tiago Monteiro		Jordan-Toyota		1:30.710
15	21	Christijan Albers	Minardi-Cosworth	1:32.186
16	20	Robert Doornbos		Minardi-Cosworth	No Time
17	11	Jacques Villeneuve	Sauber-Petronas		No Time
18	19	Narain Karthikeyan	Jordan-Toyota		No Time

M.Schumacher on track.

0.259 down in S1

Lost it and spun out - oh dear - what a shame. :D

Rear end just snapped away - So..no mechanical grip there then...

Will probably pull into the pits.

And he has..

Man of Honour
OP
2005 Turkish Grand Prix Qualifying

Running Order
Code:
[b]
Pos	No	Driver			Team[/b]

20	9	Kimi Räikkönen		McLaren-Mercedes

Code:
[b]
Pos	No	Driver			Team			Time[/b]
1	6	Giancarlo Fisichella	Renault			1:27.039 
2	5	Fernando Alonso		Renault			1:27.050 
3	10	Juan Pablo Montoya	McLaren-Mercedes	1:27.352 
4	16	Jarno Trulli		Toyota			1:27.501
5	8	Nick Heidfeld		Williams-BMW		1:27.929
6	7	Mark Webber		Williams-BMW		1:27.944
7	12	Felipe Massa		Sauber-Petronas		1:28.419
8	17	Ralf Schumacher		Toyota			1:28.594
9	15	Christian Klien		Red Bull Racing		1:28.963
10	2	Rubens Barrichello	Ferrari			1:29.369
11	14	David Coulthard		Red Bull Racing		1:29.764
12	3	Jenson Button		BAR-Honda		1:30.063
13	4	Takuma Sato		BAR-Honda		1:30.175
14	18	Tiago Monteiro		Jordan-Toyota		1:30.710
15	21	Christijan Albers	Minardi-Cosworth	1:32.186
16	20	Robert Doornbos		Minardi-Cosworth	No Time
17	11	Jacques Villeneuve	Sauber-Petronas		No Time
18	19	Narain Karthikeyan	Jordan-Toyota		No Time
19	1	Michael Schumacher	Ferrari			No Time

Raikkonen on track.

0.189 up in S1

0.409 up in S2

Car looks absolutely amazing.

Does a 1:26.797

Takes pole and slowed down in the last sector. :eek:

Man of Honour
OP
2005 Turkish Grand Prix Qualifying

Code:
[b]
Pos	No	Driver			Team			Time[/b]
1	9	Kimi Räikkönen		McLaren-Mercedes	1:26.797
2	6	Giancarlo Fisichella	Renault			1:27.039 
3	5	Fernando Alonso		Renault			1:27.050 
4	10	Juan Pablo Montoya	McLaren-Mercedes	1:27.352 
5	16	Jarno Trulli		Toyota			1:27.501
6	8	Nick Heidfeld		Williams-BMW		1:27.929
7	7	Mark Webber		Williams-BMW		1:27.944
8	12	Felipe Massa		Sauber-Petronas		1:28.419
9	17	Ralf Schumacher		Toyota			1:28.594
10	15	Christian Klien		Red Bull Racing		1:28.963
11	2	Rubens Barrichello	Ferrari			1:29.369
12	14	David Coulthard		Red Bull Racing		1:29.764
13	3	Jenson Button		BAR-Honda		1:30.063
14	4	Takuma Sato		BAR-Honda		1:30.175
15	18	Tiago Monteiro		Jordan-Toyota		1:30.710
16	21	Christijan Albers	Minardi-Cosworth	1:32.186
17	20	Robert Doornbos		Minardi-Cosworth	No Time
18	11	Jacques Villeneuve	Sauber-Petronas		No Time
19	19	Narain Karthikeyan	Jordan-Toyota		No Time
20	1	Michael Schumacher	Ferrari			No Time

Well done Raikkonen - domanant again. McLaren looks the car of the field yet again. So much mechanical grip - allows them to carry more speed through corners.

Soldato
Flibster said:
M.Schumacher on track.

0.259 down in S1

Lost it and spun out - oh dear - what a shame. :D

Rear end just snapped away - So..no mechanical grip there then...

Will probably pull into the pits.

And he has..

the'll prolly fuel him up well heavy and then he'll wait for the pit stops to move up the pack

but then , if he can't rememberhow to overtake how else will he move up :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Bit dissapointed that I missed that, sounds like it was an interesting session.

The GP2 race is on Eurosport at the moment, the track looks not bad so far but off line is filthy and I mean utterly riffy! Any time someone goes for an overtaking move the dust cloud almost obscures the rest of the track which should make tomorrow worth watching.

I must say that it's nice to see what round the clock testing and bespoke tyres can do for a team :) Having said that I think we'll see Barichello and certainly MS fuelled to the brim and running long. Mind you if they're struggling for mechanical grip on fresh rubber what are they going to be like after the last pitstop - full of fuel and 2/3 worn tyres?

Arc

Arc

Associate
Flibster said:
But where's the punishment for going off the track now? Miss the apex and go wide? No worries - just hold on and steer it back on.

Pointless!

Its the way they want all F1 tracks to be in the future, if you've seen the Paul Ricard then you'll know what I mean. It has massive tarmac areas with super sticky surfaces and large amounts of red and blue lines at all the run off areas.

There is no punishment for going off with these tracks which is a massive problem, drivers will end up having no fear of the corners so they will push to the limit. At least with the old tracks the fear kept them on the track itself.

rpstewart said:
Having said that I think we'll see Barichello and certainly MS fuelled to the brim and running long. Mind you if they're struggling for mechanical grip on fresh rubber what are they going to be like after the last pitstop - full of fuel and 2/3 worn tyres?

Well the tyres they have are the last generation of bridgestone, good race pace but one lap pace is just non existent. Unlike the tyres they had at the last GP where they were ok for one lap but then fell away badly in the race due to being a little too soft. They'll be ok but their still well off the pace. Shame as MS lap looked to be a good one until he spun.

Just wonder what 20 cars are going to be like going through turn 8, how closely they'll be able to follow each other etc etc.

Man of Honour
OP
No surprise about that....

Anyway....

Sato to get the nudge

Takuma Sato has got until the chequered flag in Shanghai to 'prove' that he should retain his race seat at BAR next year.

The Honda co-owned team's 'CEO' Nick Fry said in Turkey that, while Jenson Button is favoured to slip alongside Rubens Barrichello for 2006, the 28-year-old Japanese should not automatically be ruled out.

Sato has, though, failed to even shadow Button's '05 speed.

'We hope he can (prove himself),' Fry said, 'because as a person we like him a lot. But this is a business and a high level sport.'

Should Sato be nudged, either as a result of the Button situation or a failure to 'prove' his worth, BAR could - however - find a job for him as next year's 'Friday' driver.

'We could discuss it,' Fry said. 'If Jenson goes then there are no guarantees for Takuma.'

Knocking on the Brackley door is Williams' Nick Heidfeld, but also BAR tester Anthony Davidson, who is desperate to race and - Fry said - 'in with a good chance' of the seat.

Man of Honour
OP
Ferraris 'worse than expected'

Ferrari continued to struggle at the new Istanbul circuit with Rubens Barrichello qualifying a lowly eleventh and Michael Schumacher suffering from a spin at turn nine to qualify seventeenth.

"We were ready for a difficult qualifying session, but the result was worse than we had expected," said team chief Jean Todt. "Michael spun in the second sector and did not complete his timed lap, while Rubens could do no better than eleventh. The main problem we have had this weekend is the one we have been carrying around since the start of the season, namely a considerable lack of grip, which makes itself most felt in qualifying. Given the situation, we will now change the engine in Michael's car. We can expect a tough race tomorrow and in many ways it will be a step into the unknown, from reliability to tyre wear. Honestly, I think the most we can hope for is to get our cars home in the points."

Rubens Barrichello commented, "Even though we adopted a conservative approach to qualifying, I was fighting with a lack of grip from the car. I am confident the tyres will be good for the race, however, in qualifying we had some graining issues, which cost me time in the final sector where I had too much understeer. My lap was on the limit of what I could do and for tomorrow I think eleventh place means I can have a good race especially as the car seems to perform better when the tyres are worn than when they are completely new. It's a shame for Michael that he went off."

Michael Schumacher added, "We have been uncompetitive all weekend so far, therefore I had not expected to qualify very well: maybe around seventh place, which would not have been too bad for tomorrow's race. Even though we should really be looking for race wins, we could at least have been fighting for points. But, I went off the track and this is the result. We had expected Turn 9 to be difficult as the wind had picked up and I thought I had taken this into account, but obviously not enough. In the race, all I can do is push hard and try and do my best. It is still important for us to do as well as possible here, to help our chances in qualifying at Monza. After our performance in Hockenheim and Budapest, this weekend is clearly a step backwards."

Technical chief Ross Brawn concluded, "After our performance this morning, we adopted a more conservative strategy. Even so, Rubens was unable to lap as quickly as we had expected. I think Michael might just have scraped into a top six position if he had not gone off, which with the fuel load he was carrying and an expected consistent performance in the race, could have been a good place to be. The track conditions did not change very much from the morning, but there was a lot of dust on the track from people going off all over the place."

Permabanned
The primary reason toted 'round a few years ago for the large tarmacadam runoffs was one of safety.

You hit a gravel trap head-on and you skim across the surface (Schumacher, Silverstone).

You hit one sideways and you may flip.

With high-degredation tarmac runoffs, you remove this element but the penalty is still there - the wear on the tyres is phenomenal compared to the circuit.

*n

Soldato
penski said:
The primary reason toted 'round a few years ago for the large tarmacadam runoffs was one of safety.

You hit a gravel trap head-on and you skim across the surface (Schumacher, Silverstone).

You hit one sideways and you may flip.

With high-degredation tarmac runoffs, you remove this element but the penalty is still there - the wear on the tyres is phenomenal compared to the circuit.

*n

Plus the spectators do not lose cars because of spins.
I think all the cars should have their own starters as well. I hate to see cars out of the race because of a spin and stall :mad:

Soldato
ashtray_head said:
Plus the spectators do not lose cars because of spins.
I think all the cars should have their own starters as well. I hate to see cars out of the race because of a spin and stall :mad:

I think the idea of cars to have starters has been proposed for the 2008 rules.

Back
Top Bottom