2006 San Marino Grand Prix - Race 4/18

Soldato
A tad unfair, the initial mistake was the lp man, i do not understand how drivers in the support races managed to overtake and yet al couldnt take micky.

F1 is becoming mega dull now, even Ron Dennis didnt seem to care that his cars were hopeless, they should be challenging ferdy and mick, these cars just seem to drone round these days and nobody is desperate enough to chance it.

Having said that, for some reason i am totally addicted to f1 and cant miss a qualy or race, if i am on holiday or summat, i scout around looking for a bar with a tv, i must be mad, all the races are the same. :confused:

Soldato
Slam62 said:
i do not understand how drivers in the support races managed to overtake and yet al couldnt take micky.

They had more mechanical grip. Lets hope they get rid of those stupid grooved slicks soon and hope they make the cars less relient on aero generated grip like the old days

Oh and Vertigo1

I'm simply staggered at what he did. When the lollipop comes back down you hit the brakes, immediately. He deliberately ignored it, even when he was being bashed over the head with it, and drove out into the pit lane!

Why would Button deliberately ignore the lollypop? Talk sense will ya! :p

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Slam62 said:
for some reason i am totally addicted to f1 and cant miss a qualy or race
The only two series that I really would like to watch live are the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series and the Aussie V8 Supercars. As it is, I have to find copies of the race broadcasts via a slightly different route than TV........I didn't watch many F1 races live last season (watched Spa, Monza and the Indy debacle in their entirety IIRC, others I caught bits of or didn't bother with at all), probably won't watch them all this season either.

Soldato
Slam62 said:
A tad unfair, the initial mistake was the lp man
I'm not debating that but the fact remains that Button made a big mistake too. His actions were not explainable by simply slow reactions, he took a deliberate decision to drive through the re-lowered lollipop before stopping, which could easily have caused major injury to some of his pit crew.

Nothing is ever his fault, the guy is a joke.

Soldato
Vertigo1 said:
I'm not debating that but the fact remains that Button made a big mistake too. His actions were not explainable by simply slow reactions, he took a deliberate decision to drive through the re-lowered lollipop before stopping, which could easily have caused .

Why would someone deliberately cause major injury to some of his pit crew or even worse a fire in the pit lane by ignoring the lollypop bloke?

Be sensible.... It was obviously a reaction slowed down by something....
These cars move so quickly...

Last edited:
Associate
lineaR said:
....With the rules as they are there was no need for Alonso to even try overtaking Schumacher....

IMO he was trying, but wimped out of it. If he was just sitting back for the points he wouldn't been off MS gearbox. It was a half hearted attempt. While I have no problem with someone taking the easy points if you or your team are struggling, thats not the case for Alonso.

I haven't watched F1 for the last couple of years, it usually bores me. But I watched the last 20mins of this one. I was hoping to see a brave move from Alonso as he had nothing to lose really. Wasn't to be. While I take the point the tracks hard to overtake on, he really seem to have no ideas how to do it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Richard T said:
Why would someone deliberately cause major injury to some of his pit crew or even worse a fire in the pit lane by ignoring the lollypop bloke?

Be sensible.... It was obviously a reaction slowed down by something....
These cars move so quickly...
Sorry but that's rubbish. I've seen numerous incidents of the lollipop going up and then coming back down and every time the driver has stopped again in a split second.

Button carried on for a good few seconds after the lollipop came back down, to the point of being hit in the face with it. I'm not debating why he did it, simply stating that he did and it was a conscious decision.

Soldato
Vertigo1 said:
Sorry but that's rubbish. I've seen numerous incidents of the lollipop going up and then coming back down and every time the driver has stopped again in a split second.

Button carried on for a good few seconds after the lollipop came back down, to the point of being hit in the face with it. I'm not debating why he did it, simply stating that he did and it was a conscious decision.

Talking rubbish seems to be catching......
So he made a conscious decision to drag his pit crew down the pitlane did he?

Righto.... pffft :rolleyes:

Arc

Arc

Associate
The lollipop man probably anticipated the refueling nozzle coming out and lifted the lollipoop. It didnt however and the ensuing madness, well, ensued ;). At least there wasnt a fuel fire.

Button made a mistake and showed own up to it, he does seem to be acting a little spoiled.

MarcLister said:
. He hasn't achieved that much in his career, yet is constantly feted by the British motorsport press and some of the ITV F1 crew as the best driver in F1 after Alonso, Raikonnen and Schumacher M.:confused:

He gets far too much media coverage by ITV tbh. Its the one thing I dont like about their F1 coverage. How many times do you really need to interview Buttons dad/girlfriend in a season?

Soldato
Arc said:
He gets far too much media coverage by ITV tbh. Its the one thing I dont like about their F1 coverage. How many times do you really need to interview Buttons dad/girlfriend in a season?
A lot less than we currently do is the my though.

I've seen his dad all the time, although more recently just the odd shot of him in the Honda garage.

Has El Button got a new missus then? I remember the "old" one who was on the box a bit much for my liking.

One thing I've never understood about Jenson is we see plenty of Button, his dad, his ex when they were together yet we've, to the best of my knowledge, have never seen his mother. Anyone know why this is? I just checked Wikipedia to see if she was dead or she and Button's dad had split or something along those lines but I couldn't find anything about her.

Soldato
Richard T said:
Talking rubbish seems to be catching......
So he made a conscious decision to drag his pit crew down the pitlane did he?

Righto.... pffft :rolleyes:
So how do you explain the fact that he drove through the re-lowered lollipop for a good two or three seconds? No-one's reactions are that slow.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Arc said:
Its the one thing I dont like about their F1 coverage. How many times do you really need to interview Buttons dad/girlfriend in a season?

The only thing i like about ITV's coverage is that it's on. Nothing else apart from Blundell.
It's total CRAP. They miss the takes and the restarts by playing adverts FFS. It's a total disgrace and they really don't deserve the contract. Of course there has to be adds but Not when something relevant is happening.
Nothing should take away from the race nothing.
Also i have to listen to that idiot ramble on like a woman. What's his name that other commentator and what qualifys him to comment on racing that's what i want to know.
It's so annoying, i live on my own and am not used to people talking crap constantly in my ear.
ITV is crap and has gone completely down hill.
A good point is they show the whole of F1 and only highlights of touring cars.
idiots the lot of 'em.

Wanders out muttering profanitys sharpening keyboard. :mad:

Soldato
MarcLister said:
That is exactly what I thought when I saw MS pit later on.:eek::D

Great minds think alike eh!;)

Aa ha wondered why they had the mirror and its convex, it all makes sense now, makes you wonder what else ferrari do that honda dont.

It was strange button driving away as the lp wacked him on the head though, i want button to win because he's british, but i'm losing faith.

I think i'm going to have to wait for the next british driver which could be a long time.......
It would be nice to admire one of the current (foreign) crop, but they're all so dull.

Why oh why was it not in widescreen, dont they have widescreen in italy, oh and i agree with all the comments about JA he's not even funny like Murray, just stupid and incompetent. :(

Man of Honour
Vertigo1 said:
So how do you explain the fact that he drove through the re-lowered lollipop for a good two or three seconds? No-one's reactions are that slow.

There's the chance he could have assumed the lollipop man had dropped the lollipop, though that happening is rare, so he really should have stopped a bit sooner.

But I don't know what was going through his mind at the time. I'd guess when you come in to pit from working so hard to go as fast as you can round the track, you've got adrenaline pumping, and with you just sitting there waiting, it you've got to control your concentration.

But he still should have stopped a lot quicker than he did.

Soldato
DaveyD said:
But he still should have stopped a lot quicker than he did.
Exactly. As far as I can see he just lost control and went for it, then managed to stop himself a few seconds later. This is unacceptable when peoples' lives are potentially at risk.

Soldato
Boring Race, I literally could not keep my eyes open at times.
Crap track, I actually like the layout and corners but there is no overtaking possible :(
I am beginning to think Button hasn't got it to be World Champion and will end up like Barrichello, always close but no cigar.

The lollipop man made the mistake first but imo Button should have stopped as soon as the lollipop guy tried to take his head off :p

Back
Top Bottom