2017 car launches

Man of Honour
Thanks! Looks like the Sauber could be the first of the 2017 cars to actually run. What's the filming day limit - 150 km?

Promotional events (of which each team is allowed two per season up to a maximum distance of 100km each) and demonstration events (of which each team is allowed two per season up to a maximum distance of 15km using demonstration tyres) do not count towards this tally.

https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/Testing.html

Soldato
OP
Four weeks to go until testing commences, and four teams still to announce. In recent years the trend has moved away from grand unveiling spectacles (I think the McLaren 'assemble the car in a public square' 6 years ago was a particular low point) but this is still fairly late. I can't remember when announcements were made in previous years, and I do recall that at the beginning of the V6 era there were several teams (Caterham and the like) who unveiled actually at testing itself. But at the moment Renault are going to pick up some great PR and coverage by unveiling the new design era first.

Man of Honour
think i need f1 back, had a dream last night that RBR where the best car on the grid, but the biggest shock was Mclaren was 2nd best, and Mercedes slipped to 3rd.
Hamilton of course was giving great stroppy interviewsdue to not leading anything.

roll on testing.

Associate
I suspect that they won't be full on in terms of aero detail, but will look pretty representative of what we see at the first test

Soldato
This year will probably be different in that teams will need to test out the new cars on the track and find how the new tyres react with as close to real running as they can get. I somehow doubt that Mercedes will do 90% of their running on the medium tyre again.

Aero upgrades should have a bigger affect than they did previously. They can't turn to up to Melbourne only to find, for example, that their brakes can't cope with the extra load.

That said, even last year not an awful lot changed between testing and the first race for most cars.

Soldato
The best launch I can remember was when all the teams had to design a dodgey nose, and all the teams had something completely different.

A few race weekends in, and they all looked practically the same. :p

Soldato
OP
My god, this new forum looks absolutely awful...

Anyway, Eric Boullier has just confirmed that the McLaren livery is indeed going to change. Naturally, he's offered no other clue as to what it is changing to, instead offering the helpful advice to 'wait a couple more days'. Orange or nothing, Eric!

Back
Top Bottom