2019 Chilli Growing thread

Associate
OP
@Pigeon_Killer those little monsters look fantastic :cool:

Just taken a little harvest off mine today

Still waiting for Paper Lantern and Apaches to start ripening - they started producing fruit much later than the rest so hoping this last little heat wave will do the trick

Soldato
I've got three Cayenne and one Habanero growing in my kitchen on the windowsill, the Cayenne has fruited nicely, although the peppers are a little on the small side. I grew the Cayenne from seed, the Habanero only has two fruit on it so far, although it's a rescue from ASDA I picked up half dead and at a severely reduced price, I need to re-pot it but I haven't gotten around to doing so yet.

I might take some photographs later when I get the chance.

I would like to know what more I could do with my Cayenne though, I suspect they need bigger pots and I could probably do with using more plant feed.

Caporegime
Gonna make another Jambalaya this evening. Usually make enough for three meals and usually put in two large Scotch Bonnets which gives it a slight kick but nothing overpowering.

Are two tiny Reapers likely to add much spice? Not sure whether to add a big Habanero as well.

Edit: The answer to the above is yes, very much yes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well you can eat them green anyway, so dont worry about that, but i prefer them red, just make sure plenty of light and south facing really, we still have another possible 2 months of season left here in the west country, and once they start to turn red, only takes like 5/10 days to fully ripe, so dont worry yet.

Soldato
Well you can eat them green anyway, so dont worry about that, but i prefer them red, just make sure plenty of light and south facing really, we still have another possible 2 months of season left here in the west country, and once they start to turn red, only takes like 5/10 days to fully ripe, so dont worry yet.

I don't mind them green but the heat difference is massive :)

Soldato
Well heat should be almost the same, just that fully ripe red, will have a bit more Capsaicin, so maybe nearer the top of the Jalapeno scoville scale(slightly hotter), when green not so hot usually.

The additional ripening on the vine means more capsaicin in the pepper itself. Capsaicin is what gives hot peppers their spiciness.

Soldato
Picked a few, as going to make a chilli tonight with the Aji Lemon Drops, still waiting for my first Fatalii to ripe.
From left to Right: Hot Paper Lantern(Habanero),Aji Lemon Drop,Cherry Bomb,Hungarian Hot Wax and Cayennetta.
04-09-2019-flash.jpg

Soldato
Just looking at them you know there going to hurt :) super hots i think take longer to ripe, my bonnets only took like 5 days once they started, but my Fatalli are taken forever.

Soldato
Tunnel filled up with growth.
20190908-133308.jpg

Fatalli starting to ripe.
20190908-133217.jpg

Aji Lemon Drop ripening now.
20190908-133422.jpg

Hot Paper Lantern at the back ripening also.
20190908-133441.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Red.
20190908-133505.jpg

Cherry Bomb.
20190908-121149.jpg

Buffalo Steak Tomato, strung up to hold there weight.
20190908-133723.jpg

Caporegime
Picked my first Ghost pepper this afternoon and a number of work colleagues, who love spicy food, want to try a piece tomorrow. Got loads more ripening fast now so I'm prepared to sacrifice one for my own amusement. Also going to chop up a small reaper and offer that around.

Back
Top Bottom