2019 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
Started mine today.

Soaked them in warm-hot weak tea for a few hours.

Then paper towel which is wet in a sealed bag. Stuck in the hot water tank cupboard.

Will check them all in 2-3 weeks time.

Check them before that to make sure the tissue is still damp. I have had some completely dry up after a week or so, despite being in a plastic bag.

Well my overwintering Fatalli and Bonnet, is full of leaves, and keeps budding, all i am doing is nipping off the buds, but keep the leaves. both were cut back to about 8 inches tall and i took off all remaining leaves in November, buds at this time is well to early, and if left will take energy out of plant, and the pods will be very small, i will leave the buds/flowers on from around may/june myself.

Thanks, I'll leave the leaves etc on then and just remove any buds in spring. I'm guessing these particular plants dont need cutting back as they're just a small bush. They take ages to grow as well, unlike other chilli plants that shoot up really fast, so I feel like cutting it back to a stalk will mean it wont get a head start in the summer.

Last edited:
Soldato
I done a test just before xmas, to see if any of my 8 year old chilli seeds in fridge would germinate, used the wet paper towel trick, then just put in a sandwich plastic bag(keeps them moist), and kept behind my tv for warmth, and most germinated, still not sure what to grow this year thou.

Soldato
I've just ordered my seeds for this year so will hopefully get them going next week. I've gone for the old faithful Basket of Fire as usual and thought I'd try Ghosts this year. The Reapers were good but the missus didn't enjoy eating anything with them in, so I figured Ghosts might be a bit more reasonable. :)

Soldato
I have always gone by this in my chilli folder bookmarks for info, dont use as much water myself thou.

I just stuck some in coir plugs in December in a non-heated propagator placed in a south facing window just to see how it went.Success rate of 71% on some scotch bonnets (5 out of 7) and 60% on reepers (3 out of 5). First few made an appearance 11 days after sowing. Another few did germinate but looked dodgy so got pulled. Was tempted to try the paper towel method but happy with the success rate so far.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all I'm currently growing capsicum annuum "fairy lights" at home on my kitchen window sill and everything looks like fine to me but I'm.just wondering if I should be doing anything to it apart from watering it, with a bit of chilli focus mixed in every now and again.

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

Associate
Hey guys,

Just read through the 2019 thread, great community and a great read.
I've done a bit of chilli growing before but not had anyone to share the fun with and bounce ideas off.
Really impressed with some of the 2019 results, @Daytrader especially!

Will there be a new thread for 2020 that I can take part in?

My setup:
- Located in Surrey
- Cheap B&Q Heated propagator + small plastic pots with coir for seed germination
- Cheap small amazon polythene greenhouse for outdoor action
- Recently purchased a jumbo cold frame for this year as the polythene greenhouse it looking pretty knackered and I though it would be a good upgrade (garden is too small for a proper greenhouse)
- I like to make lacto fermented hot sauces with my chillis and have had some great results to happy to share info on that to anyone who is interested. I made a peach & white hab hot sauce last year that my friends seemed to rate.

Cheers!

Associate
Hey guys, looking for my first bit if support if anyone has time to help out.
I want to try and grow some capsicum chinense varieties this year and it's my first time giving them a go.
Any tips on germination, feeding, light & water and anything else?

Getting the heater propagator out tonight for a clean!
Cold frame should be arriving shortly which I am pumped about. Fingers crossed for a solid start to the season!

Soldato
First thx for the mention, the following site i have bookmarked in my fav chilli info folders is good quick info, has a month by month section also, http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/how-to-grow/growing-chillies , if your growing chinense hots, your doing right by starting them off soon, join here for everything you need to know www.chillisgalore.co.uk/ its great been a member for years, its dedicated to chilli growers, just join there forums and read peoples logs, has sections for everything your want to know.

Will be doing my first batch this weekend

I moved away from the paper towel to heated prop with tubs, my issues with the paper towel were handling the tiny plants.
Far easier with a heated prop
I found I got better germination in peat than in the towels anyway. But if you only have a few seeds then maybe the towel allows you to easily use them all, where as in peat unless you space well you can end up with some getting to close together and you can end up damaging some roots.

Or my other approach was a half way house. One of them plastic see through takeaway type tubs, small layer of peat, paper towel on top with seeds in and then another layer of peat over that.

This year I am going into see through pots again, and keeping them near the heated prop, but not directly on it.
I have a tube heater for the greehouse ready, I am going to try to breed tough plants this year by keeping them outside with minimum heat as much as possible. Will see how this works out

The presoaking is a good idea i think, that way the seed gets most of the water it needs early on, if you go for dry seeds in damp paper its easy to not really give them enough water, which can end up with failed germination as they do require a fair amount.

If using heated props you need to only germinate then move off, if you leave on for too long the become almost heat dependent and can fail once you remove the heat.

Soldato
I've got a mix of peppers and Ring of Fire chillies in my heated propagator at the moment, with the first few seedlings already out.

Can anyone recommend an LED grow light? I see Ikea sell some along with stand options. There's plenty of choice on Amazon / eBay but knowing the good from the bad is the challenge with them.

In previous year all the seedlings end up on the kitchen windowsill before moving into the conservatory but it all gets a bit cramped.

Associate
First thx for the mention, the following site i have bookmarked in my fav chilli info folders is good quick info, has a month by month section also, http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/how-to-grow/growing-chillies , if your growing chinense hots, your doing right by starting them off soon, join here for everything you need to know www.chillisgalore.co.uk/ its great been a member for years, its dedicated to chilli growers, just join there forums and read peoples logs, has sections for everything your want to know.

Thanks @Daytrader for the resources, I have already had a bit of a browse and some of my obvious questions are answered :)
I have created a 2020 grow log on CG to document how I get on. I still be sharing here too at overclockers.
Really keen to get the season started now!

Associate
Can anyone recommend an LED grow light? I see Ikea sell some along with stand options. There's plenty of choice on Amazon / eBay but knowing the good from the bad is the challenge with them.

In previous year all the seedlings end up on the kitchen windowsill before moving into the conservatory but it all gets a bit cramped.

I'd be really appreciative of any guidance on simple LED setups too.
@#Chri5# any chance you could share a few of the links to things you have found? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom