2019 Chilli Growing thread

Caporegime
Not so sure about that :(

I've just cut them up and licked the knife and although the mixture's hot, and my lips are still tingling 15 minutes later, the brownies probably won't be too hot for anyone. I think people might actually enjoy them :eek:

I now know what my big Reaper's going in though :D

Caporegime
One of the last harvests of the year for me.

Got a few Habanero and Ghosts left but there are still dozens on the smaller Reaper plant and some monsters on the bigger plant which I've now moved back in to my grow tent.

I've now run out of paraffin so I'm going to let nature take it's course now with the rest in my greenhouse.

Habaneros

Ghosts

Reapers
Some of these are huge, bigger than most of the Ghosts, and multiple times bigger than the two I put in to my Jambalaya a few weeks ago.

Soldato
Lovely, i picked a few today, was going to leave plants in polly tunnel until end november, but i reckon one more week, as a lot of black stuff on leaves, and mould stuff on floor, the plastic tunnel gets so much condensation inside, and we dont get the heat of the day to dry out like in summer, so i topped all plants back to the last chilli pod, and thinned out all the plants big time, to get air around plants to stop progression of black fly etc.

Caporegime
Yeah, I hacked the remaining Ghosts to pieces but the smaller Reaper has fruit on every branch so I've left that one.

I've also underestimated how much bigger the plants are now than when they started life in my grow tent lol

Soldato
Last pods for me, going to clean the polly tunnel up today i reckon.
20191107-160737.jpg

Soldato
Guys any ideal what causes this, on my fatallis and had it also on my scotch bonnetts, but the first ripe batches of pods were perfect, its just the pods that were ripening in the last like month, looked like the pods were splitting, then going black/bruising on the splits ? my paper lanterns and lemon drops were ok thou, any thoughts, oh, and would you still use them, was going to dry and make powder or freeze, or would you chuck them.
20191118-172939.jpg

Caporegime
I'm sure I read it was like stretch marks where the peppers had grown quicker than their skin could cope with. Had it on a few Habanero's but not all so might be something else.

Was going to clean out my Greenhouse at the weekend, after neglecting it for two weeks, but all of the plants I cut back have new growth and my peppers are still ripening :cool:

Soldato
Thx for reply, yeh i have finally cleared my tunnel out, just yesterday i finished up washing all my quadgrows/chilligrows ready for storage, and have decided to over winter just 3 plants, cherry bomb, scotch bonnet and fatalli, was not going to, but changed my mind.

Soldato
Going to try growing chillies next year (first timer) Is early to mid Dec too soon to think about starting with the gemination process? I've got a Carolina reaper that I'm going to harvest the seeds from and some fairly mild packet seeds (up 12,000 rating) from my local garden centre to experiment with. I'm thinking about trying the damp paper towel method and then move onto a heater propagator.

Caporegime
Going to try growing chillies next year (first timer) Is early to mid Dec too soon to think about starting with the gemination process? I've got a Carolina reaper that I'm going to harvest the seeds from and some fairly mild packet seeds (up 12,000 rating) from my local garden centre to experiment with. I'm thinking about trying the damp paper towel method and then move onto a heater propagator.

now is far too early. they won't last. i'd start in february or march.

also no need for a heated propagator.

get a kitchen towel wrap seeds in it spaced out. wet kitchen towel. stick it in the hot water tank cupboard or boiler cupboard for 2-3 weeks. my hot water tank cupboard does the job of a heated prop.

then transfer to those little things which look like tea bags when they expand.

then transfer to a small pot, then medium pot, then large pot as needed. these steps are 100% necessary to get maximum growth.

Soldato
Bit of a bump as I have a quick question regarding over wintering.

So in the past my chilli plants have lost their leaves by winter and I cut the stems back, but these birds eye demon plants are weird and started flowering again in autumn and still have all their leaves. Would you just leave the plants as they are, or should remove the leaves and cut the stem back? These particular plants are more of a small bush than the usual large stemmed chilli plants I have grown before, so not sure what you do with them.

Soldato
Well my overwintering Fatalli and Bonnet, is full of leaves, and keeps budding, all i am doing is nipping off the buds, but keep the leaves. both were cut back to about 8 inches tall and i took off all remaining leaves in November, buds at this time is well to early, and if left will take energy out of plant, and the pods will be very small, i will leave the buds/flowers on from around may/june myself.

Associate
OP
Abandoned the idea of over wintering this year due to an infestation of whitefly plus and fungus gnats.

Just starting to think about options for this year so I can get the seeds germinated.

Soldato
I’m going to plant some seeds this weekend as a break from exam revision. Can’t start too early right?! Not sure how many to go for, but if I get a few good small plants I can always give them away at work I guess.

Caporegime
i have 2 x chilli grows so enough for 6 plants. a lot of mine didn't germinate or make it from germination last year. going to try and germinate 6 of each of the 3 varieties i have and see what happens.

Soldato
I tried germinating mid-Dec as an experiment with some seeds from the chillies given to me and so far so good. I've sacrificed a few that looked weak but have 3 reapers and 7 scotch bonnets and 1 of something else. I damaged one of the baby leaves on one of the reapers but still seems okay and slowly growing. I'll germinate a few more from a few packets of seeds in the coming weeks, but will probably only a couple of each as I think if these all do well I'll probably have too many
Mild weather but not getting much sun on them atm - they're just stuck in a south facing window.

Soldato
I need to decide what I want to grow this year as I plan on getting them going before the end of the month. I'm under orders to limit the number of plants I have to three again. Last year I had Reapers and Basket of Fire and had good results so might just stick to those this time round as well.

Caporegime
Started mine today.

Soaked them in warm-hot weak tea for a few hours.

Then paper towel which is wet in a sealed bag. Stuck in the hot water tank cupboard.

Will check them all in 2-3 weeks time.

They are seeds I bought last year and some didn't do too well. So I used all of them this year. Hoping to get 6-9 for myself and give the rest away. Buy new seeds or use my own saved ones next year.

Back
Top Bottom