2021 Monitors

Caporegime
DisplayHDR 600 is very disappointing on that display. Having tested a HDR600 monitor, compared to a HDR1000 or my CX48 OLED, there's no comparison.

Personally wouldn't buy a new gaming monitor in 2021 without 'proper' HDR.

Problem is "proper" HDR monitors cost about £3500-5000 atm. I have kept saying to myself for the last 3 years I wont upgrade again until there are proper HDR monitors available (and affordable!). I think we are still 2-3 years away from that so quite happy to get a decent monitor as a stand in until then.

The Asus ROG Swift PG32UQ I had originally expected it would have come with 1152 mini led zones like the pro brothers does and even HDR1400 cert but guess Asus wanted to keep costs down and also not to distract sales of their £5k pro screens.

The HDR 600 on my AW38 is "okayish" and you can see the difference and that's about it but its a great UW monitor overall and not silly money at a grand esp since it has a hardware nvidia module.

The mini led monitors are the way forward but even they only have 1100 zones and still suffer from blooming. Mirco led is the obvious solution and competition to OLED but since monitors tend to be a few years behind TVs, we dont even have 55" affordable micro led TVs yet so I honestly expect to be keeping my current screen for 4-5 years.

Or bit the bullet and get the 42" OLED TV

Soldato
Problem is "proper" HDR monitors cost about £3500-5000 atm. I have kept saying to myself for the last 3 years I wont upgrade again until there are proper HDR monitors available (and affordable!). I think we are still 2-3 years away from that so quite happy to get a decent monitor as a stand in until then.
Real high contrast HDR pretty much requires pixel level control of brightness.
Meaning it won't happen with LCD or any of its rebrandings.

Only exception would be dual LCD layer concepts of smaller LCD makers...
Using one LCD layer to control pixel's overall brightness/how much light it gets from backglight and second standard RGB LCD layer to control colour.

Back
Top Bottom