• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2070S to ??

Associate
Another generic 'which is best bang for buck gpu upgrade' thread. Apologies in advance!

My 2070 Super started screaming at me a few years ago. Been changing the thermal paste on it until it gave up the ghost and here we are. I don't really have a budget, and will go up to a 4080S. I'm looking for a decent long term investment, Ideally around 5 years that's a good bang for the buck. I won't really want to upgrade again until the next gen of consoles are released. I'm not one for upgrading regularly. The 2070S served me well from 2020 to now. So whilst i'd go 4080S if it just made the most sense for what I'm looking for in the price/performance/future proofing department, if there's something cheaper that works, I'm interested.

I game at 1400p Ultrawide (Alienware AW3423DWF) - The 2070S was holding up well here in a lot of titles suprisingly.
5800X3D - Maybe this was doing a lot of the leg work.
650W PSU.

Would a 4080S require a new PSU (750/850w?) and is it worth the 1k over say a 4070S, in terms of somewhat future proofing?
Titles I'd be looking at are mainly things like Diablo 4/PoE 2 at high framerates. Monster Hunter: Wilds, though I know it's recommened specs are a bit out there, that an important release for me. I've been holding out on playing Cyberpunk for the longest time due to wanting to run it at a nice steady 70fps+ on ultrawide for a while. Not overly concerned about raytracing, great if the game can handle it and maintain frames, but fps and high graphics is most important for me.

Hope that's enough info! Thanks for any advice :)

You can get a 7900XT at the moment for a little over £600, and it comes with two games (including Space Marine 2).

Should work fine on a good quality 650W and pair well with the rest of your system, it's pretty hard to beat at that price point, especially if you're not bothered about RT. It also has a good amount of VRAM, which is worth factoring in if you rarely upgrade, although I will say that tech such as FSR is way behind DLSS if you intend to use upscalers for anything.

I'd recommend looking at some reviews and having a think about it.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £629.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Another generic 'which is best bang for buck gpu upgrade' thread. Apologies in advance!

My 2070 Super started screaming at me a few years ago. Been changing the thermal paste on it until it gave up the ghost and here we are. I don't really have a budget, and will go up to a 4080S. I'm looking for a decent long term investment, Ideally around 5 years that's a good bang for the buck. I won't really want to upgrade again until the next gen of consoles are released. I'm not one for upgrading regularly. The 2070S served me well from 2020 to now. So whilst i'd go 4080S if it just made the most sense for what I'm looking for in the price/performance/future proofing department, if there's something cheaper that works, I'm interested.

I game at 1400p Ultrawide (Alienware AW3423DWF) - The 2070S was holding up well here in a lot of titles suprisingly.
5800X3D - Maybe this was doing a lot of the leg work.
650W PSU.

Would a 4080S require a new PSU (750/850w?) and is it worth the 1k over say a 4070S, in terms of somewhat future proofing?
Titles I'd be looking at are mainly things like Diablo 4/PoE 2 at high framerates. Monster Hunter: Wilds, though I know it's recommened specs are a bit out there, that an important release for me. I've been holding out on playing Cyberpunk for the longest time due to wanting to run it at a nice steady 70fps+ on ultrawide for a while. Not overly concerned about raytracing, great if the game can handle it and maintain frames, but fps and high graphics is most important for me.

Hope that's enough info! Thanks for any advice :)

if you are going to be dropping £1000 and looking for future proofing then wait for new graphic cards in January. £1000 will buy your a 5080 which will be much better than a 4080. If you cant wait then as suggested a 7900XT or 7900XTX or 4080 super take your pick really. If you need ray tracing then 4080 if not then AMD cards are better buy.

Would a 4080S require a new PSU (750/850w?)
It is hard to say about the PSU because while in theory a 650 watt PSU can handle pretty much anything, in reality how it handles the power spikes defines everything. You can undervolt and power limit to get the power down if you are tripping, but that's obviously not an ideal solution.

and is it worth the 1k over say a 4070S, in terms of somewhat future proofing?
TPU's GPU database says that:
4070 is 65% faster
7800 XT is 78% faster
4070 Super is 92% faster
4070 Ti Super is 125% faster
7900 XT is 131% faster
4080 Super is 165% faster

These numbers are with no upscaling or ray tracing.

If we take relative to the 4070 Super then:
4080 Super is 38% faster and costs around 70% more (..depends on the model)

Personally, I'd agree with Gray2233 that the 7900 XT is the optimal card for price/perf if you need a decently powerful card for 1440p ultrawide, but want to avoid nearly £1K.

OCUK have a 7900 XTX (ASRock) which is £750, don't know much about that particular model, but it competes with the 4080 Super in raster.

If I had to buy now (waiting is better, because we're rumoured to be close to release to new cards for AMD and nvidia), I'd get the 4070 Super (as close to £500 as possible) or a 7900 XT (as close to £600 as possible) and accept that it may not last as long as you'd like.

Last edited:
if you are going to be dropping £1000 and looking for future proofing then wait for new graphic cards in January. £1000 will buy your a 5080 which will be much better than a 4080. If you cant wait then as suggested a 7900XT or 7900XTX or 4080 super take your pick really. If you need ray tracing then 4080 if not then AMD cards are better buy.

I think expecting the 5080 at £1000 is a tad optimistic tbh mate, the 4080 launched at around £1100 MSRP and often went for over £1400, I fully expect the 5080 to cost more.

An unfortunate rule of thumb with tech, always expect the manufacturers suggested price to be a good chunk below what the product actually ends up costing the consumer at launch.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions guys, been super useful so far.

With regards to DLSS, I've tried my best to get on with it in games and I just can't see past the slight blur. I like a nice crisp image for some annoying reason, and I'm not not cluded in as to whether DLSS has improved a ton since what the 2070 Super was offering, but it always really bugged me to the point I never had it on. I've never turned raytracing on in anything, obviously I've never really had the card to see its potential without massive hits to performance and so never genuienly considered it. I wonder if I want to go down the route of needing it just yet :cry:

That Powercolor 7900XT does look like a very good price! I'm only apprehensive about going from green to red, for no other reason other than 'will I regret it'. I haven't had an AMD card since maybe 2011 (think it was a 7850 or something like that) and my last 2 cards have been an MSI 970 and Gigabyte 2070 Super. Geforce Experience has never given me any issues, not even sure what the AMD equivilent is!

I know the PSU question is a little up in the air as Tetras mentioned, but would you guys recommened getting a decent 850w to go alongside it?

Thanks for your suggestions guys, been super useful so far.

With regards to DLSS, I've tried my best to get on with it in games and I just can't see past the slight blur. I like a nice crisp image for some annoying reason, and I'm not not cluded in as to whether DLSS has improved a ton since what the 2070 Super was offering, but it always really bugged me to the point I never had it on. I've never turned raytracing on in anything, obviously I've never really had the card to see its potential without massive hits to performance and so never genuienly considered it. I wonder if I want to go down the route of needing it just yet :cry:

That Powercolor 7900XT does look like a very good price! I'm only apprehensive about going from green to red, for no other reason other than 'will I regret it'. I haven't had an AMD card since maybe 2011 (think it was a 7850 or something like that) and my last 2 cards have been an MSI 970 and Gigabyte 2070 Super. Geforce Experience has never given me any issues, not even sure what the AMD equivilent is!

I know the PSU question is a little up in the air as Tetras mentioned, but would you guys recommened getting a decent 850w to go alongside it?

What is the exact model of your PSU? It might be absolutely fine with a 7900XT.

As for regretting it, if you don't intend to use RT or DLSS then AMD is simply offering a better package right now in most cases. Obviously there's some games which heavily swing in favour of one vendor or another, but I'd say AMD's drivers are spot on and have been for a long time.

I don't know how a Geforce Experience equivalent might factor in as I don't use those things personally.

I know the PSU question is a little up in the air as Tetras mentioned, but would you guys recommend getting a decent 850w to go alongside it?
If the PSU is a big concern, it is worth noting that the 4070 Super uses around 100 watt less under load (~220 versus ~320) at stock, though it also needs to use the adapter (on a pre atx3.0) psu) for the 12/16 pin, which the 7900 XT does not.

Anything over 500 quid now is gonna sting real bad in 2-3 months time. I'd rather spend as little as possible now(since the GPU is dead) and wait for what is on offer with the next release. Maybe even try out something different than you are used to, like a cheap rx 6750 or something in that ball park. I would be surprised if nvidia released something for 700 that couldn't beat the 4080s, in case you hated the Radeon experience, it in which case you wouldn't be worse off waiting than going with a 4080s now.

Last edited:
Current PSU is a Corsair TX650M. Would probably been looking at a new PSU just for peace of mind if anything. I'd probably selling my Xbox Series X to CEX for like £250 too, seeing as I've literally haven't turned it on in over a year as I only play my PS5/Switch for consoles.

Back
Top Bottom