• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080 Super 4k upgrade - 4080 super?

Soldato
So my 2080 Super is starting to show its age, especially given I'm at 4k. CPU is still good in general (Ryzen 7 3700X) and 64Gb of RAM alongside it all on an X570 chipset.

From the reading I've done it seems like the 4080 Super is probably the sweet spot in terms of both value and being a worthwhile upgrade from my 5 year old trusty 2080 Super, would the good people of this subforum agree or have an alternative idea for me?

TIA

Caporegime
From the reading I've done it seems like the 4080 Super is probably the sweet spot in terms of both value and being a worthwhile upgrade from my 5 year old trusty 2080 Super, would the good people of this subforum agree or have an alternative idea for me?
Good choice tbh, it seems to be the more well-rounded card atm in terms of feature-set and software (I have the 4090 and an XTX atm). You could wait for new cards coming soon but it's not expected to have much of a bump in performance due to still being manufactured on the same process.

Soldato
So my 2080 Super is starting to show its age, especially given I'm at 4k. CPU is still good in general (Ryzen 7 3700X) and 64Gb of RAM alongside it all on an X570 chipset.

TIA
If you've struggled along this far with a 2080, with the 5080 due out this year, I would wait for that and/or what last minute deals come up on the 4080.

Failing that, have a look at everything from the 4070 super up to the 4080 super in the games you actually play and see if the cost difference to performance is right for you.

The current rumour doing the rounds is that pro cards will be announced at computex so we'll then know the specs of the 5080/90, and also GPU sales are really low right now, so deals may pop up to shift stock.

Last edited:
Associate
If you've struggled along this far with a 2080, with the 5080 due out this year, I would wait for that and/or what last minute deals come up on the 4080.

Failing that, have a look at everything from the 4070 super up to the 4080 super in the games you actually play and see if the cost difference to performance is right for you.

The current rumour doing the rounds is that pro cards will be announced at computex so we'll then know the specs of the 5080/90, and also GPU sales are really low right now, so deals may pop up to shift stock.

This. If you're desperate for an upgrade now then 4080 super would be a good upgrade, but wait if you can, either for a 50xx or 40xx discounts.

Soldato
I would say if you are unhappy with the performance of current card and can afford a new card, buy it and enjoy it. Don't worry about what might happen in the future.

Waiting for a new releases has backfired for the last two generations. If the same thing happens with the 5xxx cards, you will be waiting for months for not much of a performance lift at a much higher price with no discounts on the 4xxx series.

Whereas you could buy a new card today and be enjoying newer games in all their glory tomorrow.

It all depends on how much you think the 2080 Super is holding you back.

Soldato
A 4080 would be a great upgrade on what you have now, but for sure that weak cpu will be holding it back! Slap a 5800X3D in there in the meantime maybe? Am sure Helldivers will get a boost ;)
I was sceptical about the performance benefit@4K coming from a 5800X but the difference in the lows is quite a noticeable difference.

There's an argument that a 4070Ti Super/5800X3D combo will perform better@4K than a 4080 Super/3700X.

And another one that a 79GRE(with an UV/oc) combo could perform=/>the 70Ti (even with an UV/oc) due to the lowerdriver overhead and GRE potential as well for an even lower outlay but you lose DLSS* if that's important.

Soldato
OP
Yea. At that point I'm starting to wonder if it's core system upgrade time... I could throw £300 at a 5800x3d or £210 would get me a 7600X (AM5) - so with an extra 300 on top for some RAM and a mobo I'm talking 200 difference to move up a generation rather than keep my AM4 going.

Either way the answer seems to be 4080 Super just a question of when :).

Man of Honour
From the reading I've done it seems like the 4080 Super is probably the sweet spot in terms of both value and being a worthwhile upgrade from my 5 year old trusty 2080 Super
Hard to call a 4080 Super good value when they're nearly £1K, but it is better value than the 4090 @ £1K6 or whatever.

would the good people of this subforum agree or have an alternative idea for me?
7900 GRE according to TPU's database is 73% faster than the 2080 Super and that can do 4K:

It would have less lifetime than the 4080 Super at that resolution, but it could be a good stopgap when we're so late in the cycle and let you play through games from the last year or two that the 2080 Super struggles with.

Soldato
Yea. At that point I'm starting to wonder if it's core system upgrade time... I could throw £300 at a 5800x3d or £210 would get me a 7600X (AM5) - so with an extra 300 on top for some RAM and a mobo I'm talking 200 difference to move up a generation rather than keep my AM4 going.
Keep in mind that Zen 5 is also a few months away. Later this year should be a good time to do a full system upgrade, either to a shiny new 9000 series chip or a cheaper 7000 series part once the new ones arrive and (hopefully) push prices down on those.

Soldato

Either way the answer seems to be 4080 Super just a question of when :).
I get that, but after a lot of research for the data@4K:

5800X3D faster than the 7600X

Rarely slightly slower, equal to or faster than the 7700X.

Can be bought for as low as £230, regularly available for ~£250 if you keep your eyes on the price, that's a £150 drop in upgrade selling your 3700X, and it runs cooler than the 7 series, you don't need a new cooler.

16Gb Vram IMO isn't going to last very long without relying on DLSS (if it isn't already)more often than not for the outlay, that's an incredible overlook if you plan to keep it a few gens too.

A 3700X will hold back a 4080S though, false economy imo, but good luck with whatever you do.:)

Associate
It's a tough one. Sure you can wait a bit longer to see if deals crop up on the 4080's but then it'll be even closer to the 5000 series launch and the whole wait/buy now question emerges again.

If Helldivers 2 is the driving force for the upgrade then Nvidia are the way to go as they outperform their AMD counterparts in that title. Performance has improved (from my AMD experience at least) but I'm unsure as to whether that's across the board or manufacturer specific.

Caporegime
If Helldivers 2 is the driving force for the upgrade then Nvidia are the way to go as they outperform their AMD counterparts in that title. Performance has improved (from my AMD experience at least) but I'm unsure as to whether that's across the board or manufacturer specific.
I've found that the 4090 is roughly 40% faster at 4k than my Nitro XTX atm, which means the 4080S is prob around 10% faster than the XTX in HD2.

Soldato
Thanks all. Looks like a 5800x3d and 4080nsuper will be in my future when I spot a good price!
Tbh I wouldn’t buy either of those now, the 4080 super will be EOL in a few months and replaced with a faster card at a similar price or if your happy with that level of performance then the 5070 will probably deliver similar performance with better features for a lot cheaper while the 5800X3D is aging now and will soon be 2 gens behind but still holds a high price.

My advice would be to wait for a 5080/5070 and jump to AM5 when the new chips release later this year.

Back
Top Bottom