• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

212 EVO successor

Associate
mate needs a new CPU cooler for his 4790k

i have the 212 EVO but thats old. whats the equivalent these days ?

Thanks in advance gents and ladies!

Associate
OP
**update** he has a corsair AIO but it hits 100C during prime 95 26.6 when NOT overclocked.... any ideas / suggestions before i remove it and buy a replacement cooling solution? i only have experience in HSF.

** update 2 **

IMG-20191005-WA0017.jpg

just got this pic from him.... the rad has no cooler on ? is it just me or does this look completely wrong??? i have no expeirence of AIO's... but i thought exhaust fan is seperate and the rad needs its own cooling?

what unit is this?

Soldato
I've used a couple of these and they're very hard to beat for the price:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £23.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

You're looking at spending £40-50 + on the likes of a Mugen 5 to do better.

Review: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6706/alpenfoehn-brocken-2-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

Hold in mind that the version on the OCUK store comes with a second 140mm fan, so it'll perform a little better than the one in the review.

As for that Corsair AIO, it could be any number of things at fault, I'm not a fan of AIO units. It looks like he's using the rear fan as an intake onto the rad, I think that it might be an old Corsair H40 but don't quote me on that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an issue with the pump though given the temps described.

Last edited:
Soldato
That AIO just looks like it could do with a good blast of air with the amount of dust in that case. That'll soon drop the temps. Find someone with a compressor to give that a good blowout. Guess there's no dust guards on that case.

Soldato
Clean the AIO & Fan (the fan is either pulling or pushing air through the radiator in that image) and clean and re-paste the CPU.

If that makes no difference then look for a new CPU cooler.

Soldato
just got this pic from him.... the rad has no cooler on ?

The fan is between the radiator and the case. Is the fan actually working? But he needs to turn the radiator the other way up so the hoses are at the bottom: it's possible there's an air lock at the top of the radiator. And is the pump working?

That AIO just looks like it could do with a good blast of air with the amount of dust in that case.

This too.

Associate
OP
I'm getting the pc off him tomorrow night I'll check the fans clean and mount with the tubes the right way ... I'll post a reply cheers chaps

Soldato
I have the 212 Evo on my 3700x, still gets toasty but when I was looking at a cheap but good cooler, all coolers in this sort of price range all all about the same give or take a couple of degrees. As long as they're a reputable brand and have relatively good reviews, anything in the price rang will do.

Associate
The Evo 212 hasn't been the best 'value' purchase for years, there's a ton of cheaper options that are better, including what I linked above.
Yeah annoys me to see it recommended so often - it was a great value pick years ago. But it got more expensive and people kept suggesting it anyway. Better alternatives came out, people kept recommending it. It was great, I still have one, but it is past it's time and way too expensive for what it is now. The Brocken 2 being a clear example of a much better buy.

Back
Top Bottom