22" widescreen monitor wanted,,please help

Associate
I have dismissed the Asus MW221U because of the bad write ups on here and other places but I just don't know what to substitute it with.It will be running off a 8800GTS and used mostly for gaming and general movie and internet stuff.
Price 280-350 ideally although maybe a few quid more could besqueezed out the coffers.

List your top few choices guys...many thanks.

Soldato
They are all effectively the same panel but im also in the same boat as you. :mad:

According to gibbo,the belinea is the best even though it is only VGA. He has had them side by side and still stands by the belinea. :confused:

Associate
OP
Really wanting 2 inputs though, pc and 360 and unfortunately the Belinea only has the 1.
I feel if I drop down to 20" I will just be ****** at myself,am temted to go for the Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP but the Mrs is already looking at the total cost of a complete sytem build and giving me THAT look :)

What are the Viewsonic VX2235wm and the Samsung SM-225BW like?

Soldato
If you with the a dell 2007 you get the S-Ips panel which is better than the TN 22" panels. It has 16ms response times but are generally visually better. You get all those imputs aswell as picture by picture etc;)

I was originally gonna get a 2007 but i dont think i need that good a monitor so i'll chance the cheaper tfts.

Im not a guru like badass so, if you havent already, take a look at this sticky.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17209584

Soldato
Or get the V7 22" that has both VGA and DVI inputs and cheap. You will need to buy a DVI cable though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The Samsung SM225BW is a good choice if you want VGA and DVI, and is a pretty functional screen too. If you want to avoid TN Film technology, you'll need to look outside the 22" sector really, maybe at something like the Dell 2007WFP as already suggested

Soldato
Baddass said:
The Samsung SM225BW is a good choice if you want VGA and DVI, and is a pretty functional screen too. If you want to avoid TN Film technology, you'll need to look outside the 22" sector really, maybe at something like the Dell 2007WFP as already suggested

Has anyone got any idea how long it'll be before there are 22" screens available that don't use a TN panel?

Man of Honour
div0 said:
Has anyone got any idea how long it'll be before there are 22" screens available that don't use a TN panel?

i've heard AUO were considering a 22" P-MVA panel, but i think it will be a while before we see any manufacturers incorporate such panels since the cost of production would be higher, and therefore they may find it hard to compete with the very cheap TN Film offerings. It may happen, but im not sure they will bother at this size.

Soldato
Baddass said:
i've heard AUO were considering a 22" P-MVA panel, but i think it will be a while before we see any manufacturers incorporate such panels since the cost of production would be higher, and therefore they may find it hard to compete with the very cheap TN Film offerings. It may happen, but im not sure they will bother at this size.

Thanks!

Guess I'll have to look at either sacrificing viewing angles a bit, or going to 24". Because I've seen a couple of 20" WS monitors and they just came across as smaller than I'd been expecting :(

Associate
[
borobob said:
Really wanting 2 inputs though, pc and 360 and unfortunately the Belinea only has the 1.
I feel if I drop down to 20" I will just be ****** at myself,am temted to go for the Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP but the Mrs is already looking at the total cost of a complete sytem build and giving me THAT look :)

What are the Viewsonic VX2235wm and the Samsung SM-225BW like?

I'm in the same posistion as you with regard to wanting a 22" widescreen with dual input for the PC and my Xbox 360.
The reviews I've read on the Viewsonic VX2235wm are not good when it comes to gaming and movies.
The reviews I’ve read on the Samsung SM-225BW are somewhat better but none of them were glowing
It's a shame because my Viewsonic VX924 is fantastic for gaming.

My boss wanted an Asus MW221U so I hooked one up to a PC with a 7900GT (the great thing about working for an IT reseller is the opportunity to play with kit before buying it ).
I have to say I was very impressed with Call of Duty 2 on the monitor.
Even with the issues I've read here it hasn't put me off going for the Asus.
However, the height of the stand is an issue for me and also the fact that it doesn't have a button that switches between VGA & DVI.
This is a feature I like on my VX924 as I can quickly switch between the PC and the Xbox 360.
With the Asus it's a case of having to go through the OSD to get to the input options.
Perhaps I am just being fussy having to use the OSD and sub menu to change the inputs and I could probably get used to it.
With regard to the height of the stand I would have to get a VESA stand for it so I could increase the height.
It’s a shame the reviews of the Viewsonic VX2235wm are not good, otherwise I’d happily buy one, even if it was a lot more expensive than the Asus.

It’s causing me a dilemma because I really want to experience widescreen gaming.
As this is supposed to be the year of widescreen 22” TFT’s becoming a lot better, perhaps we will be both better of waiting a few months and seeing what else hits the market?

Unless of course someone out there who is using either a Viewsonic VX2235wm or the Samsung SM-225BW in a setup similar to what we both want can give us a review?

Associate
borobob said:
Raided the piggy bank,think I'm gonna go for the 2407WFP.

Ouch! That's just too expensive for me to even consider.
However, I could be tempted if you leave some feedback once you've had a chance to play with it :)

I've just realised OC'ers are selling the monitor for over 200! quid less than Dell are!
Is OC'ers price a mistake?
If £479.99 ex vat is correct I'd be happy to buy one.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
hashcake said:
Ouch! That's just too expensive for me to even consider.
However, I could be tempted if you leave some feedback once you've had a chance to play with it :)

I've just realised OC'ers are selling the monitor for over 200! quid less than Dell are!
Is OC'ers price a mistake?
If £479.99 ex vat is correct I'd be happy to buy one.

yep, they have a good agreement with Dell and offer a 4 yr guarantee with it too! very nice...

Man of Honour
borobob said:
Just curious Badass,but what screen do you use?

personally I have a Dell 2405FPW, but i have the chance to test a fair few screens for reviewing. The Dell is fine for my needs though, i'm not a gamer, and dont think i could go back to anything smaller for my day to day use :)

Associate
borobob said:
Works out at 598 quid with postage and vat,I have spent all day hovering over the BUY button and keep bottling it.

LOl.
I initially got all excited about the price of the Dell 24" but then I thought about being sat in front of a 24" screen.
Personally I don't think I could handle the screen size.
It'd be ok if I was sat further away from it but as it would be on my desk I think I would be sitting too close.
For me I think 22" widescreen is the best option.
I've decided to sit back and see what the next batch of Asus we get into stock are like.
I'f I'm not happy then I'll give it a few months and see what else hits the market.

Back
Top Bottom