25,000 miles a year in comfort (and on a budget)

Man of Honour
I'd imagine the best possible chance at a good one is going to be some sort of dull looking non Sport model. It'll be comfortable, cheaper because it's not cool enough (Therefore newer/lower mileage/better condition for the budget), etc.

The S Class just seems like a really bad idea :D

Caporegime
What about the older E Class or even a CLS?

5K seems to get a 320CDI CLS with about 80k on the clock.

I was doing 70 miles a day in my Saab 9-5 in circa 40 minutes during lockdown. 35 minutes was my record. Glad I do not do it now with today's petrol prices!

Soldato
OP
Let’s be honest the cheapest thing to do would probably use my wife’s Fiat 500 as it wouldn’t involve any more outlay and is decent on fuel and tyres. It isn’t exactly a comfortable cruiser though! I’m not sure getting a brand new small hatchback would be worth it over our existing car.

Soldato
OP
What about the older E Class or even a CLS?

5K seems to get a 320CDI CLS with about 80k on the clock.

I do like the look of a CLS but pre 2010 Mercedes are not famed for reliability or rust proofing. Major bodywork would kill any savings. W211 E classes are fine, but I’m not really after anything exciting here so might as well go with the newer car. Will have a look though.

Man of Honour
Let’s be honest the cheapest thing to do would probably use my wife’s Fiat 500 as it wouldn’t involve any more outlay and is decent on fuel and tyres. It isn’t exactly a comfortable cruiser though! I’m not sure getting a brand new small hatchback would be worth it over our existing car.
I do almost exactly the same commute in a 1l turbo i20.

Soldato
Just do that and see how you get on..if it really sucks buy a lexus ;)

Associate
Someone has to say it - Skoda Superb. I have had many 'premium' German cars from new and they all, without exception, had issues with them that would have cost a small fortune outside warranty. Engine issue mainly, poor running, etc. I was perhaps unlucky but then I am not running a 15 year old Merc for 25k miles a year.

Man of Honour
Someone has to say it - Skoda Superb. I have had many 'premium' German cars from new and they all, without exception, had issues with them that would have cost a small fortune outside warranty.

Where do you think the important parts of a Skoda Superb come from.....?

Soldato
Someone has to say it - Skoda Superb. I have had many 'premium' German cars from new and they all, without exception, had issues with them that would have cost a small fortune outside warranty. Engine issue mainly, poor running, etc. I was perhaps unlucky but then I am not running a 15 year old Merc for 25k miles a year.

Skoda is basically an older Audi A4.. :)

Soldato
Why are german cars so unreliable? Even a Toyota avensis can do high mileage with low maintenance

Over engineered, over complicated.
Also silly material choices such as plastics that don’t age well, magnesium alloys for engine blocks etc.
Hideous repair and servicing costs so many owners don’t bother.
Simplicity is key for older reliable machinery.
(Saying that, perfectly happy with my old BMWs).

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I did 30k pa for 3 years in a Volvo, best seats bar none :p

I friend was in a similar situation and got incredibly lucky with a old Phaeton 3.0 tdi. Nothing went wrong for the 1st year or so, then all hell broke loose and it was one thing after another. Thats the risk with old luxo barges.

Soldato
volvo s60/d5 as linked, did they cross-fertilize with lorry engine technology, or, who.
for infotainment though finding a car compatible with an aftermarket AA/CP head unit would be nice for that daily 100miles.

Over engineered, over complicated.
they were over-engineered - but are now just-right (like the ligh bulb), and, last for the warranty, then a maintenance nirvana.

Soldato
I thought the seats in the XC60 were hideous! A Jag would be a supremely comfortable mile muncher, but reliability might be an issue.
Rather than high mileage old luxo barges I'd probably look for a cheaper newer car and suck up the idea that it's not quite as comfortable. Nobody wants to be sat on the hard shoulder waiting for recovery after a hard day at work.

Back
Top Bottom