£25 a week extra on my state pension

You don't have a private one?
I always thought you could claima state pension no matter what because you paid in.

But my parents claim they never recieved any benefits ever in their life as they both always worked.
and they can't claim anything from the state because they have their own pensions already?

My parents aren't even well off so I always thought it was weird, but rich people in power couples can get benefits for childcare etc :S

It's weird, because it's not true. You get state pension regardless of your private pensions.

It's weird, because it's not true. You get state pension regardless of your private pensions.
I'll double check, but I'm sure my mum told me she doesn't have a state pension nor my dad.

maybe they looked at a wrong pension and thought they weren't eligible :S, bit late now if thats the case both in their 70s

Last edited:
I'll double check, but I'm sure my mum told me she doesn't have a state pension nor my dad.

maybe they looked at a wrong pension and thought they weren't eligible :S, bit late now if thats the case both in their 70s
I would be very surprised if they are not claiming state pension.... might just be confused if it was all set up at the time of retirement and employer helped them or something....if they are not it's crazy and you need to fix it...

Isn’t it triple lock increase month? Whats the 25p for?
Old Age Pension, people commonly use the word for the retirement pension but really they're separate

Yeah my mother is not eligible for full state pension as my parents divorced and she didn't have enough contributions under her own name i.e. was a housewife for most of that time (enforced when she was younger as when you got pregnant i.e. with me you were kicked out of your job back then and times were hard). I know some kind of deal was made with my father aftterwards but I'm unsure of the details

Only Kidding.

I wish it was.

Just had a letter from pensions saying that now I am 80 I am entitled to an extra 25p a week.
When I was 18 that would buy a pack of three. Now i would be ashamed to put it in a charity box.

What a waste of resources.

I once got a letter, with a 36p stamp on it, from a solicitor asking me to pay my outstanding balance of 17p. Now THAT is a waste of resources!

Last edited:
5 years for me until the state pension falls at my door, I haven’t paid the full stamp but nearly, In the meantime I have my two company pensions.

Tbf the various systems in this country have been tinkered with to the point of madness.

I don't know how people would live only on state pension, even with triple lock. I agree with the comments that state pension age is only going to increase.
It's going to be a miserable existence without a well funded personal pension, trapped into working to an ever increasing age and when you do get to retirement you will be struggling to meet basic needs.

Last edited:
I don't know how people would live only on state pension, even with triple lock. I agree with the comments that state pension age is only going to increase.
It's going to be a miserable existence without a well funded personal pension, trapped into working to an ever increasing age and when you do get to retirement you will be struggling to meet basic needs.

True dat.

I'm on a state pension, but also have two private pensions, and another one that seems to have defaulted to be claimable at 75 years old!

I'd be a lot worse off on just the state to be sure.

Last edited:
If I stay in work to my state pension age, I will have made 51 years of the required 35 years contributions...
I have an 8 year or so gap where I was living abroad, and can't decide whether to buy back those years or not.

Total waste filling in the gaps if I get more than 35 anyway. Given that I paid in Germany long enough to qualify for a state pension from them, I'll probably leave it. I get bored too easily and am unlikely to retire early even given the choice.

I hope so! Not sure how it gets paid though? Now I imagine it gets paid dd, but if they didn't fill anything in? They might be due a nice surprise :)

Back
Top Bottom