£25 a week extra on my state pension

Soldato
They already are scrapping National Insurance and increasing Income Tax.
Step 1 - Align the brackets [done]
Step 2 - Reduce National Insurance, increase Income Tax via fiscal drag <-- you are here
Step 3 - NI rate becomes zero and is scrapped + something happens to State Pension as NI years/stamps are no longer a thing

Edit: I think we probably end up with a single rate of income tax too.
Simplifying the system wouldn't be a bad thing.

If NI gets scrapped it doesn't matter, its just a tax and there is no specific pension pot held by the government so it doesn't matter how the tax is raised.

Soldato
Actually in that article it is largely people who appear to have given up work before their entitlement to a state pension was due. So maybe a bit of lazyitis compounded by their savings being spent unwisely.

Soldato
Actually in that article it is largely people who appear to have given up work before their entitlement to a state pension was due. So maybe a bit of lazyitis compounded by their savings being spent unwisely.
i have to admit, since starting work after uni my goal has always been to retire at 60 (earlier would be nice but not realistic for me). i do hope to make sure i have a strong enough bridge to take me through to my different pensions paying out however. (1 pays at 60 but this alone wont be enough, 1 at 65 and my state one at (hopefully) 68).

is that lazy? perhaps.......... but men on one side of my family do not have a good track record, and kick the bucket pretty young, so i am not counting my chickens on an old age. (the other side of the family does ok however so maybe i will go that way)

I am not ashamed to say i work to live........... i do not live to work.
It is one of the reasons i sort of have buyers remorse buying a nice car. it is fantastic dont get me wrong, but i could have kept my £4k dirty old diesel and the money i put in the car represents over a year of me not having to work.

Last edited:
Soldato
i have to admit, since starting work after uni my goal has always been to retire at 60 (earlier would be nice but not realistic for me). i do hope to make sure i have a strong enough bridge to take me through to my different pensions paying out however. (1 pays at 60 but this alone wont be enough, 1 at 65 and my state one at (hopefully) 68).

is that lazy? perhaps.......... but men on one side of my family do not have a good track record, and kick the bucket pretty young, so i am not counting my chickens on an old age. (the other side of the family does ok however so maybe i will go that way)

I am not ashamed to say i work to live........... i do not live to work.
It is one of the reasons i sort of have buyers remorse buying a nice car. it is fantastic dont get me wrong, but i could have kept my £4k dirty old diesel and the money i put in the car represents over a year of me not having to work.

Yes, I took one at 60 but I calculated that even paying 40% tax on it, the remainder was better in my pocket. I may gave been wrong but at 71 I have had eleven years of it now. Probably Putins war and knock on fuel prices and inflation did upset a few calculations of affordability to retire early but events need allowing for when making seismic decisions like giving up work.

Soldato
Should have planned ahead better.

38f7246dcf153aeceacb2853f7d58583.jpg

Back
Top Bottom