2700X, dodgy temps??

Soldato
OP
I'm not on main computer so can't check MSI X470 CPU socket to PCIe socket spacing to say for sure, but quick looks like PH-TC14PE will fit. But without knowning RAM height or at last what RAM you have I have no idea if it is short enough to fit under front fan. RAM needs to be 35mm or less tall.

Sorry, Ram is the team group vulkan t-force. So quite low profile. Both inserted in slot 2 and 4.

Soldato
Sorry, Ram is the team group vulkan t-force. So quite low profile. Both inserted in slot 2 and 4.
Relaxed Tech says Team Valkan T-Force is 30mm tall. Case has 170mm CPU clearance which means 175mm for RAM and fan. 30mm RAM + 140mm fan = 170mm. That means you have 5mm of clearance for fan. Now I just need to verify your center CPU to PCIe socket clearance.

Checked motherboard and PH-TC14PE will fit.

Soldato
OP
Relaxed Tech says Team Valkan T-Force is 30mm tall. Case has 170mm CPU clearance which means 175mm for RAM and fan. 30mm RAM + 140mm fan = 170mm. That means you have 5mm of clearance for fan. Now I just need to verify your center CPU to PCIe socket clearance.

Checked motherboard and PH-TC14PE will fit.

Thanks dude for looking into it, appreciated! Looking at cooler now...

Soldato
Does it need an adapter for am4, doesn’t state compatibility in specs..
My bad. I assumed Phanteks was like all other cooler companies and had AM4 mounting ability on their coolers.

In OcUK add fro PH-TC14PE just below specs it says
'**For an AM4 bracket please send an email to [email protected] with proof of purchase of the cooler and proof of purchase for the Ryzen CPU. We will try our best to get some brackets but you should contact the manufacturer first. **'
In January 2017 Phanteks announced the AM4 mount upgrade:

'Phanteks says that starting today its AM4 upgrade kit will be sent out to customers with the necessary paperwork. You will need a copy of the Phanteks cooler purchase invoice, plus a copy of the purchase invoice for an AMD AM4 motherboard or AMD Ryzen processor. These need to be emailed to [email protected] (North America), or [email protected] (other worldwide regions). Phanteks notes that all future cooler products it makes will include the necessary mounting bracket for AM4 support.'

I assumed that when they said, 'Phanteks notes that all future cooler products it makes will include the necessary mounting bracket for AM4 support.' in news release January 2017 that new stock of their coolers 19 months later would have AM4 mounts included.

I suggest emailing Phanteks support as above saying you want to get PH-TC14PE cooler for your AM4 system, but as coolers do not come with AM4 mount you want to clarify that they will send you one. That is what I just did for new AM4 I'm about to build. ;)

Associate
Considered Noctua? I run an NH-D15 SE AM4 cooler on my 2700x. Idles at 30.5 all day long and as its AM4 specific it comes with all the required mounts.
Not come across an easier mounting system yet than Noctuas. An absolute doddle to install.
Cooler is very large though, they do a smaller one NH-U12S SE AM4.

Soldato
I just checked my new PH-TC14PE and PH-TC12DX mounting kits and find they have AM4 mount spacing holes in AMD mount .. the 2 connected holes for for 48x96 AM3 and 54x90mm for AM4 versus older AMD mounts only having single 48x96mm holes for AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2 mounting. I then got out my old one to compare and

It appears Phanteks PH-TC14PE does have AM4 mounting components for use with stock AM4 back mount. included with new coolers, but there is nothing on box or in instructions that I can see saying anything about AM4 mount compatibility.

Soldato
OP
@ rip-the jacker, have you heard anything back from PHanteks?

Hey doyll, yeah, they said it should be compatible just not been updated on the info, and if any problems they would ship another out!

Feel kinda bad, as I took @ChrisUK1983 advice and went for a Noctua cooler (NH-U12S) and connected two Noctua (grey) fans.

Idle speed just now, around 35c..so around 10c difference so far..

Soldato
Hey doyll, yeah, they said it should be compatible just not been updated on the info, and if any problems they would ship another out!

Feel kinda bad, as I took @ChrisUK1983 advice and went for a Noctua cooler (NH-U12S) and connected two Noctua (grey) fans.

Idle speed just now, around 35c..so around 10c difference so far..
NH-&12S is good cooler, but I think it's over-priced for what it is. PH-TC14PE is better cooler with very good fans out of the box. If Phanteks was smart they would have changed website and box labeling end of January/early February 2017 after they said new coolers would have AM4 mount. :D Very stupid of them to not to have done it.

Soldato
OP
NH-&12S is good cooler, but I think it's over-priced for what it is. PH-TC14PE is better cooler with very good fans out of the box. If Phanteks was smart they would have changed website and box labeling end of January/early February 2017 after they said new coolers would have AM4 mount. :D Very stupid of them to not to have done it.

Yeah, I had a Noctua cooler on my last build too, so thought, F it, will just go Noctua again! Yeah, you would have thought with the time AM4 has been out that an update would have been on the cards!..

Soldato
Yeah, I had a Noctua cooler on my last build too, so thought, F it, will just go Noctua again! Yeah, you would have thought with the time AM4 has been out that an update would have been on the cards!..
Oh! They upgraded it! They are just too stupid to both changing label on box and specifications on website. I wonder how many sales they have missed in the over 1.5 years of not bothering to update site, labeling, specs. etc .. and this isn' the only thing they haven't changed literature an specs on after making a physical change. Oh well. At least we know Noctua is smarter than that. :p

Soldato
OP
Oh! They upgraded it! They are just too stupid to both changing label on box and specifications on website. I wonder how many sales they have missed in the over 1.5 years of not bothering to update site, labeling, specs. etc .. and this isn' the only thing they haven't changed literature an specs on after making a physical change. Oh well. At least we know Noctua is smarter than that. :p

:D:D

Associate
Your case supports coolers up to 170mm tall. What cooler will fit also depends on what motherboard and RAM height.

If it will fit, your motherboard and RAM the PH-TC14PE for £49.99 is a very good cooler at a very good price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-ph-tc14pe-cpu-cooler-black-hs-009-pt.html

Your case needs more and probably better case fans. I would advise at least 2x 140mm. Phanteks PH-F140MP are very good and OcUK has them on special for £16.26 for 2-pack. That is a good price for one fan so you get 2 good fans for price of one. I would use them as front intakes, remove all PCIe back slot covers and install a good cooler. Removing PCIe slot covers greatly increases exhaust vent area around GPU and with 2x good front intakes give case good front to back airflow.
Good point there I got a Noctua NH-15D as my case had enough room, but I was lucky that it fit my motherboard and only just. The second fan has to be pulled a little higher than the first as the ram is in the way. Not only that but I dont think I can put another 2 ram sticks in the other slots as the heatsink it's self is in the way. Always best to check everything fits before you buy lol!

Soldato
Good point there I got a Noctua NH-15D as my case had enough room, but I was lucky that it fit my motherboard and only just. The second fan has to be pulled a little higher than the first as the ram is in the way. Not only that but I dont think I can put another 2 ram sticks in the other slots as the heatsink it's self is in the way. Always best to check everything fits before you buy lol!
Interesting. Most motherboards have RAM sockets far enough away from CPU for all to be used under NH-D15. One of it's claims to fame is lower fins cut so they do not interfere with tall RAM.

Just for info;
NH-D15S is has same fins and same base with different shaped to heatpipes to offset base so finpacks are offset away from PCIe sockets. With same model and number of fans NH-D15S performs same as NH-D15. Only problem is the NF-A15 fan supplied with coolers is 1500rpm while acceory NF-A15 is only 1200rpm. Only way to get a 1500rpm NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Black costing about £24 each.

Associate
I think there is a list of motherboards on their webpage that it will fit. But I only found this out after, also the s model came out after I got my one.

Back
Top Bottom