• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2700x running hot and fluctuating hard

Associate
I just rebuilt my pc after a bad motherboard and im a bit disappointed with whats going on. I have a Noctua D14 with the 14cm middle fan and 2x120mm side fans so its got a 3 fan setup, all brand new noctua fans too. Now the issue is that idle the CPU will be sitting between around 40c and 50c, it fluctuates HARD, so in the course of say 30 seconds it will do this

45, 47, 49, 55, 41, 45, 55, 38, 40, 45, 57, 42 etc etc etc, up and down and up and down, its really annoying me as i dont see why its happening.......

At load it will top out at 60c, never goes above that during cinebench or other cpu burning tests.

Does anyone know whats going on? im going to reseat the D14 but honestly i dont think thats the issue.

Soldato
Seems perfectly normal to me. All the AMD and Intel chips I've had in recent memory have been very spiky. Windows is always doing stuff in the background and briefly using CPU resources, so the temperature increases momentarily. I remember it really bothering me with a 7700K because the motherboard's CPU fan ramp-up time option was non-functional, resulting in the constant rise and fall behaviour that you mention. Most other boards have a working setting to control that though. Just increase the delay before your fan responds to temperature changes so that these momemtary spikes don't cause any reaction. I don't know about Gigabyte boards, but on both the Crosshair VI and the MSI X370 board I was using previously, the setting could be found in the fan control section of the UEFI.

Associate
OP
Seems perfectly normal to me. All the AMD and Intel chips I've had in recent memory have been very spiky. Windows is always doing stuff in the background and briefly using CPU resources, so the temperature increases momentarily. I remember it really bothering me with a 7700K because the motherboard's CPU fan ramp-up time option was non-functional, resulting in the constant rise and fall behaviour that you mention. Most other boards have a working setting to control that though. Just increase the delay before your fan responds to temperature changes so that these momemtary spikes don't cause any reaction. I don't know about Gigabyte boards, but on both the Crosshair VI and the MSI X370 board I was using previously, the setting could be found in the fan control section of the UEFI.
Ok maybe thats the issue, i came fom an X58 system with an i7 920 and then a Xeon X5660, both ran VERY cool, about 5c above ambient and never spiked unless i loaded up synthetic benchmarks. This is a huge change for me as im the sort of person who will sit monitoring the temps and its weird to me how fast it jumps and settles with nothing running! I will reseat the heatsink to put my mind at rest. I wonder, would a AIO water cooler be a better choice or is it just the nature of the chips?

Soldato
Ok maybe thats the issue, i came fom an X58 system with an i7 920 and then a Xeon X5660, both ran VERY cool, about 5c above ambient and never spiked unless i loaded up synthetic benchmarks. This is a huge change for me as im the sort of person who will sit monitoring the temps and its weird to me how fast it jumps and settles with nothing running! I will reseat the heatsink to put my mind at rest. I wonder, would a AIO water cooler be a better choice or is it just the nature of the chips?
I can't really say about water cooling as it's never been my thing, but I imagine it probably helps somewhat. I think these rapid fluctuations are inherent to the nature of high end modern CPUs though. I've had HWiNFO open for about five minutes and have a minimum recorded temperature of 29.3 degrees and a maximum of 46.4 degrees with my 2700X, with it mostly bouncing between the low 30s to low 40s. That's without me even touching the mouse and with nothing except baseline Windows processes running in the background.

Associate
OP
I can't really say about water cooling as it's never been my thing, but I imagine it probably helps somewhat. I think these rapid fluctuations are inherent to the nature of high end modern CPUs though. I've had HWiNFO open for about five minutes and have a minimum recorded temperature of 29.3 degrees and a maximum of 46.4 degrees with my 2700X, with it mostly bouncing between the low 30s to low 40s. That's without me even touching the mouse and with nothing except baseline Windows processes running in the background.
What cooler are you using? I just feel a cooler like a D14 should do a better job than 50c idle.

Soldato
What cooler are you using? I just feel a cooler like a D14 should do a better job than 50c idle.
I'm using a Noctua NH-U14S along with the NT-H1 paste that came with it. I should note that my current idle temperatures are on the low side of what I've observed though. It's been more common to see it bouncing around the low 40s with occasional spikes above that over the time I've owned it, though it was scorching hot outside for most of that time.

Permabanned
This is normal. What I did was change the fan ramp up time to 5 seconds(if I recall correctly) that way its not going up and down really quickly.

Mine fluctuates between 28 degrees and 40, water cooled. Windows never really 100% idles.

Associate
OP
I just took my heatsink off and reapplied the TIM and it seems to have helped, now im ranging from around 35 to 45c on the desktop and max temps 55, this feels more in line with what i expected.

Associate
My 2700x is showing exactly the same behaviour although mine idles at about 31c and in a water cooled setup. Like yourself I was quite surprised about this as a friends 1700 does not show this bahavior. Mine is not overclocked I just let it do it's thing. According to an AMD redit this is normal.

Associate
OP
My 2700x is showing exactly the same behaviour although mine idles at about 31c and in a water cooled setup. Like yourself I was quite surprised about this as a friends 1700 does not show this bahavior. Mine is not overclocked I just let it do it's thing. According to an AMD redit this is normal.
It really is worrying me, i just posted another thread as i thought this one had died but im hitting 70c now on a Noctua D14 with triple fans, that shouldnt happen i dont think, i mean there arent many coolers as good as the D14 so how are other CPUs functioning? I guess they dont boost as high but it seems a bit high for normal operation.

Associate
What overclocking settings do you have as if you are doing a standard overclock I would not expect to see that happening

Soldato
Mine fluctuates a lot too I wouldn't worry about it.

I suggest using hwinfo, then you use the tdie rather than the tctl temps.

I've got a aro-m14 with single fan, so probably should provide within 1-3c of your noctua. I'm watching it now and fluctuating between 30-40. Under gaming load I'm usually around 60-65 I think.

What are your internal temps, if you have a way to measure them? I'd guess from what you're saying is that your fans aren't working hard enough to supply fresh air when idling, but under load, when they ramp up, are able to supply clean airflow, hence the reasonable temps.

Soldato
Mine fluctuates a lot too I wouldn't worry about it.

I suggest using hwinfo, then you use the tdie rather than the tctl temps.

I've got a aro-m14 with single fan, so probably should provide within 1-3c of your noctua. I'm watching it now and fluctuating between 30-40. Under gaming load I'm usually around 60-65 I think.

What are your internal temps, if you have a way to measure them? I'd guess from what you're saying is that your fans aren't working hard enough to supply fresh air when idling, but under load, when they ramp up, are able to supply clean airflow, hence the reasonable temps.

dont use HWINFO on Gaming 7. it corrupts gigabyte BIOS. its terrible bug & huge thread on it on many forums but gigabyte wont fix...

happened to me on 12 occuurances till i found out it was HWINFO

Soldato
dont use HWINFO on Gaming 7. it corrupts gigabyte BIOS. its terrible bug & huge thread on it on many forums but gigabyte wont fix...

happened to me on 12 occuurances till i found out it was HWINFO

Is that the x370 gaming 7? That's news to me! I may do a clean install of the bios then.

Soldato
yes, it will basically restore defaults on reboot.

I tested it & sent it to gigabyte
Literally turn on pc open HWINFO leave it running & reboot after several hours. the bios changes you made will be reset to their default. when i tested it it was a 100% reproducble.

Back
Top Bottom