28A on 12v rail

Caporegime
Hi, i just looked at a spec for a psu, and basically it says the following:

520W: +3.3V(28A), +5V(52A), +12V(28A)

Are these good? If i was to get the following spec would this 520w psu power the following:

X2 4400+
2 x 1gb 3200 gskill zx ram
connect 3d x1900xtx
A random 250gb hard drive (Maybe a 80gb as well)
Asus a8n-sli mobo...

Im also thinking of getting the Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU, the above psu is the OCZ 520w modstream...which do you rate better?

Thanks in advance :)

Craig.

Last edited:
12v rail looks a bit low for running an x1900xtx, but don't quote me on that as I don't have much experience with ATI cards. 30A+ is usually accepted as a good 12v.

The Hyper 580 is serving me well at the moment and it's got more than enough power for your rig, but reports say they're somewhat inconsistant in their quality, so it's hit and miss really.

I'd suspect the OCZ would be a better quality PSU, but 28A is on the low side.

I have the OCZ Powerstream, rated @ 33A on the 12v line, running a 1900XT (heavily overclocked).

The hiper has two rails (of about 16 each) so probably isnt what your looking for. Try a tagen as you can combine the rails to get a single 28A min 12v rail (for the 480w)

The Tagan TG480-U15 supplies 30A@12v which might be a bit light tbh. The Hiper is the same. I'd look for something with a bit more power nearer 400W@12v for the combined output.

Hmz, odd....Been told the Hiper type-r 580w will be enough...i was thinking of running my current psu on it for like a few weeks till i get more money...

Thing is i dont fancy spending over £100...(Bearing in mind i havent looked at the tagan yet :P) Especially for a psu :S

And yesh, i know psu's are an important part of your system :)

I have the modstream myslef and its brilliant :D . No problems what so ever though if I had to pick a flaw it would be the fairly ridged cables, but thats only a sign of quality :p

i have the new silverstone ST75ZF wich has 60a on each +12 rail, ive had it for over a week now , have to say all went extreamly well and no problems with it what so ever. impressed with it! top notch.

Mp4 said:
i have the new silverstone ST75ZF wich has 60a on each +12 rail, ive had it for over a week now , have to say all went extreamly well and no problems with it what so ever. impressed with it! top notch.
You got it then. What's the noise like?

Mp4 said:

Only 18A per 12v rail by the looks of it :(

Total of 720w, which is only 60A @ 12v so they can't be 18a per rail as specified as that'd be 72a total - 864w ... anyone know how they added it up? :confused:

**Quote**

Thinking of getting the Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU for the following system:

X2 4400+
2 x 1gb 3200 gskill zx ram
connect 3d x1900xtx
A random 250gb hard drive (Maybe a 80gb as well)
Asus a8n-sli mobo...Maybe premium mobo now.
Mite be adding a sound card also eventually.

**/Quote**

Anyone?

Or a psu about the same price range, and not noisey would be nice.

Cyanide said:
Only 18A per 12v rail by the looks of it :(

Total of 720w, which is only 60A @ 12v so they can't be 18a per rail as specified as that'd be 72a total - 864w ... anyone know how they added it up? :confused:
It can supply a total pf 720w at 12v. That's all. You can't add rails together. It means that it can supply up to 18A per rail. But not at the same time, but with 60A who cares.

I've got a system here running SLi with 2 7800GTX, 4 x Hitachi 80Gb HDD in RAID 0 ie. they all run at the same time, all the time, ASUS P5ND2 with Intel 840 and I'm running that lot off a Hiper 580R.

Seasonic are probably the best price/performance manufacturer at the moment and just for a test, I've just connected up the Seasonic 430W from my desktop to the SLi rig and it runs fine.

And because it's running near capacity it runs very cool too - the Hiper has spare power and has to dump much of it out the back as heat.

Well...the hiper's cheaper yes?

But what would you recommend for me? I dont want something that im going to have to upgrade later on due to power requirments..And i dont exactly wanting it sounding like a small hovercraft :P

The seasonic 430 has only 1A (12w) less on 12v than the Hiper so no real surprise it could handle the same load.

The Seasonic 430, Enermax Liberty 400 and Antetc NeoHE 430 are all in about the same range.

The Antec has the strongest 12v rail(s) and the Enermax is the cheapest and likely better value for money than the seasonic, although I don't know about noise comparisons.

seasonic, I had a hyper and it exploded after like a day. The seasonic, looks boring but it does what its design for better.

Something as important as a PSU should a little money spent on it. If you can get upto the seasonic 600w - that will keep you happy for many years.

Hmm...For £100? But theyre apparently quiet also im assumming...so the name says anyways.

But your putting that down to personal preference yes? As yours blew up :P

Just saying, as my friend has a Hiper type-r and he's running an opteron 146 at like 2.7/8 or so...with a x1800xt and other things, and its works...

Iduno, decisions eh :P

Another recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom