2nd hand bike for commuting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
People justify what they decide to pick. So many people are scared of the road bike.

I know guys who don't like riding in bunches or sitting on a wheel, even taking their hands off the bars scares them.

Then one of them falls off on ice......suddenly everyone is stupid for going out on the ice since he fell off.

If you're on the road a road bike is the best choice but if you have to go over rougher ground then a cx bike or hybrid is better suited clearly.

Soldato
For what it is worth, I commute 5 miles each way ever day. All on tarmac and flat. Some road, some cycle path, some nice river paths. Rain or shine. I did have a proper road bike, though I now use, and prefer, a hybrid bike.

The wheels are the same but the frame geometry gives me a more relaxed ride and I prefer straight handle bars for whizzing about. I just find it more fun.

Man of Honour
Any suggestions on a decent hybrid bike for my budget?

I bought a Giant hybrid from a local bike shop for around £300 and I wouldn't pay anymore than this but that's a budget I set that suits my needs.

It does ok for a daily 6 mile round trip to the station which is all it see it as.. A means to and end. It's solid, reliable and does the job and it's cheap enough that after 3 years it can be scraped and replaced.

The only modifications I've made is to change the seat post with a damper to cushion any sudden impact and some inside tyre guards to limit punctures.

I don't care for fast expensive road bikes, I've seen too many people over the years come unstuck going too fast.

tbh, i miss my fully suspended mountain bikes i used previously. I much prefer comfort.

[edit - was typing this as davey closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom