2nd hand bike for commuting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Today in the morning there was black ice, first time on a roadie and handled it nicely on the corner even though I felt the back was starting to slide. But on my MTB the situation was worse, as I was jumping on my left leg and try not to fell off. My neighbor saw this situation, I bet it looked funnily... :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If this is the case.. Why are you advising people not to buy road bikes? :)

I'll let you both reply to this one - WHERE?

In all my posts they are about my experience and I've only told the OP to think about stuff.
I have not advised anybody anywhere NOT to buy a road bike, only to really think about what they are buying.
Why would I advise people not to buy a road bike when I've chosen mine over the MTB for the last 3 weeks for commuting?
People really have a problem reading posts and I wish you would show a little bit of respect and at least read WHAT I WROTE and not make your own bits up.

Soldato
I'll let you both reply to this one - WHERE?

In all my posts they are about my experience and I've only told the OP to think about stuff.
I have not advised anybody anywhere NOT to buy a road bike, only to really think about what they are buying.
Why would I advise people not to buy a road bike when I've chosen mine over the MTB for the last 3 weeks for commuting?
People really have a problem reading posts and I wish you would show a little bit of respect and at least read WHAT I WROTE and not make your own bits up.

Its not so much that you wrote that exact thing it's more to do with your posts sending the wrong message.. When you say things like "3 pro shops told me to do this dadada.. They were wrong MTB this that etc.."

Also this is not the first thread where you seem to be going against the wave and recommend to get an MTB when it's clearly unsuitable for the job. And your only argument seems to be the fact that you slipped on some ice? Doesn't that sound naive when you look at it? Rubber and ice will never = grip.. More rubber doesn't change anything either and your actual contact patch with the surface will be marginally bigger than the one on a road bike.

Associate
Imagine a tightrope walker who has to keep his arms by his side and walk on a 1" rope - that is me on a road bike.
My MTB feels like I'm on a 3" rope and I have my arms outstretched.

I can understand this. When I was recovering from labyrinthitis I took me about a month before I could safely ride my road bike. I was back on the mtb after a week as the much slower steering made it much easier to control with knackered balance. However my experience of hitting ice has been if the front wheel goes then I'm going down whatever bike I'm riding.

Man of Honour
Its not so much that you wrote that exact thing it's more to do with your posts sending the wrong message.. When you say things like "3 pro shops told me to do this dadada.. They were wrong MTB this that etc.."

3 pro shops did not tell me to get an MTB, they told me not to ride anything in winter.
All 3 shops also told me that MTB tyres wouldn't grip any better than road tyres, rubber is rubber no matter what you're on.
NOWHERE DID I SAY THY SUGGESTED MTBs.

Also this is not the first thread where you seem to be going against the wave and recommend to get an MTB when it's clearly unsuitable for the job. And your only argument seems to be the fact that you slipped on some ice? Doesn't that sound naive when you look at it? Rubber and ice will never = grip.. More rubber doesn't change anything either and your actual contact patch with the surface will be marginally bigger than the one on a road bike.

I have never said get an MTB over a road bike for commuting on roads, I only suggested in my first post because that was in his price range and I can't imagine a £300 road bike being any good.
After that I gave my experience and funnily enough SkodaMart agreed with me but you haven't misquoted him.
I can also take you to loads of cyclists who have winter & summer bikes and I'll be amazed if you refuse to believe that loads of cyclists do this.
I have always said to get the right tool for the job but to do your homework first.

Also after my accident I rode for 3 weeks on my road bike in really bad winter weather and because I was more careful I didn't have one accident however it was only when I bought the MTB that I then felt safe and confident to ride.
I'm an old man and you have got to accept that my needs & thinking is different to yours, I'm even considering a step through bike now because I'm having major problems getting my leg over (ooh err).

I can understand this. When I was recovering from labyrinthitis I took me about a month before I could safely ride my road bike. I was back on the mtb after a week as the much slower steering made it much easier to control with knackered balance. .

Please please please don't agree with me, you will have scorn poured on you.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
popcorn_zpsc776a516.gif

Man of Honour
Fight, fight, fight.

I don't have the energy to point out the flaws in Dimple's posts. Perhaps tomorrow whilst in work :)

Even though I prefer my road bike and it feels like a Rolls Royce compared to my MTB and is 1000% better for riding on a road I believe people should have an informative choice.
I've now grown out of my road bike snobbery and I can't see anything wrong with giving people a choice.

Please read my posts properly before you reply and notice that all my posts contain the words 'I' 'Me' 'Myself' and not 'You' or 'He' etc.
This is very important because it makes a huge difference.
You will also notice that none of my posts have been edited to change key words.

Also remember that I 100% agree that MTB tyres aren't any better than road bike tyres for on ice and my experiences are mine and not yours.

This has an edit at the bottom because there was a lot of spelling mistakes and I have to read my posts at least 10 times before I'm happy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Unfortunately your use of "informative" was incorrect so bad luck on the editing front.

You use "I", "me" and the like but (perhaps you genuinely don't realise this) the way you write the posts and your use of words such as "snobbery" implies that people that have different opinions to you are wrong - not that they have a different opinion. The whole tone shows a general disdain for other people's opinion too - "I have now grown out of" - suggesting that those that believe that road bikes are superior for riding on the road are childish in some way.

You keep coming back to this point and asking if people know how to read. I would propose that you don't have as thorough a grasp of written English as you might believe and this is where we are all running into difficulties.

Associate
Sweet mercy this thread has derailed badly, IC3 nice bike man enjoy it.

Dimple: I agree and disagree, I've fallen off my MTB on 2.5 inch sticky tyres in the snow so it's no better for grip than my skinny road tyres. That said I would feel happier falling off my mtb than my roadbike, probably because it has a lower BB, flat pedals and feels more rugged in general

Man of Honour
and your use of words such as "snobbery" implies that people that have different opinions to you are wrong - not that they have a different opinion.

THEY ARE 100% NOT WRONG, where do you make this stuff up for gods sake?
Where have I said that others in here are wrong?
I might as well be on Facebook with all the stuff being made up.

It doesn't matter what people buy they need the full info from all walks of life and I gave my view and immediately a poster also had the same experience.
Just a few posts up another poster agreed about my analogy of tightrope walking.
I also had the embarrassing moment of a mate who I'd talked into having a road bike telling me he's got to swap it for an MTB because his journey isn't what he thought. My commute home is not road bike friendly because I'm scared to come home the way I go to work so all this stuff needs to be taken into account.
All I've done in this thread is to highlight that some new cyclists may have the same experiences as me and their first buy might not be the right buy so they need to cover all the angles.

Please don't change my words.

Man of Honour
Nobody is changing your words. You simply don't understand the ones you have written.

Don't be silly.
If that's your best comeback then don't bother.

I can't believe that you don't think that people should have all information at hand when making a decision but instead say 'Road bike Road bike Road bike'.

Oh look, I made something up that you didn't say (or did you?).
I just filled in the blanks like you did.

Caporegime
Because posters are unable to read my posts?

Let me lay my cards on the table:
If I can get every cyclist on a road bike I would because I 100% choose them over MTBs but sometimes routes or even the riders disabilites/frame of mind dictates the choice.

Surely you don't think I'm wrong?

It needs to be closed because it's way off topic and people are getting belligerent. Some people seem to have taken umbrage at what you're saying and now you're on the defensive and no one seems to want to let it lie. Any valid points that you or others are making are likely to be lost in the noise of people arguing from entrenched positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom