3-4TB performance Drive Comparision

Associate
I need a 3TB drive for my main documents / scratch disk and want the best "real-world" performance; not exactly throughout like coping large amounts to and from though that is obviously important but more "random access speed" so i guess IOPS?

I would be fine with the 3TB Toshiba P300 - HDWD130UZSVA

But then the 4TB Toshiba P300 has 128mg cache - HDWE140EZSTA

And a step further the 4TB WD Black has 256GB cache - WD4005FZBX

I know that cache size is not everything but was wondering which drive people would recommend

I do have a penchant for quite drives but don’t mind a bit of noise if the performance gain is worth it

Price isn’t exactly an issue but don’t want to waste money on a drive which isn’t worth marginal gains

Thanks for any help

APM

APM

Associate
I've been using the Toshiba for over a year as the main import/export drive on my machine here and it works quietly enough for me,maybe not the best write speeds but will copy over 10GB files in a few minutes.

Soldato
I'd get the toshiba. Don't mind noise when active, but the thud/click noise that the new blacks do every 5s when idling is awful. Apparently something to do with pwl, but it's annoying.

Soldato
I asked a friend a very similar question recently as I knew that he had a 4TB WD Black.

Her told me that eventually he swapped out the black for a Toshiba x300 drive.

His opinion was that the Toshiba seems just as capable but infinitely more quiet over that of the very noisy Black.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions...

Lastly would there be any noticeable real-wrold performance gains from the 3TB version which has 64mb Cache vs the 4TB version with has 128mb Cache?

Back
Top Bottom