3 year old ipace - would you buy?

Associate
Ok I'm sure this will be a very subjective "chat" but no closer in my own mind either .

Currently own a Audi A7 55TFSI. Nothing wrong with it at all it's a great car with a lot of extras if abit thirsty as only doing fairly short trips ATM.

Always liked ipace's and still think maybe apart from a e-ton GT one of the best looking EV's out there and some great second hand prices on them due the EV market being in the pits.

Having never owned a Jag it's just the horror stories you read everywhere.

Obviously been looking at approved used and drove 150 miles last week to look at one which was a great spec but still ******** myself with this would be my first EV and second ipace's don't seem to have a great history with reliability and a few reports now with battery modules going duff and having to wait months for repair.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an I-Pace on lease and it’s a great car. Build quality is good and it certainly feels reasonably premium and a lot of fun to drive. The problem isn’t the car, it’s the customer support.

If you have no warranty with JLR you should look to get one. Not cheap to run either so be sure to keep that in mind and budget appropriately.

If you can get that official JLR full warranty, then it would be OK. If not then just walk away.

Soldato
I think the used iPace market is great value if you get a warranty and a competent dealer.

Given it is pretty much the only car Jag sell now you'd hope that their servicing will be getting better every day, so maybe less horror stories, especially if the parts shortages across JLR are now sorted.

Soldato
F Pace sales are MUCH higher than IPACE...

As long as its 21MY you will be much better placed the single battery and new electrical system is much better. Fell free to share VIN if you want any history. Its basically a proper performance car,, anyone who goes on abougt efficiency can go rant at their mug of green tea and plate of tofu :p

Soldato
i have a MY21.ipace. I would say if you can get a good example pivi pro model for £26k ish it's a stonking amount of car for the cash. just make sure it still has the Jag warranty.
I paid £35k for mine at 2.5 years.old. in the last year it's still lost an obscene amount of cash but surely the bottom must be close to the free fall now.
I love mine.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think the used iPace market is great value if you get a warranty and a competent dealer.

Given it is pretty much the only car Jag sell now you'd hope that their servicing will be getting better every day, so maybe less horror stories, especially if the parts shortages across JLR are now sorted.
Journey on his own journey as usual. Don’t stop believing

Last edited:
Soldato
How much is an extended warranty on ipace ..
not as big as an ipace - I looked at id3 the other day for ~3year old / £20K running about £300/pa £250 excess, which didn't seem to bad, with £400 insurance too,
and really represents the only ev I'd consider, with, as born out by insurance, cheaper repairs.

Caporegime
Had one for 3 years. Wouldn't buy one, dealer network is weak, increasing reports of HV battery issues taking months to sort. Slow DC charging. High insurance costs.

Jaguar seems to be largely wrapping up as a brand with everything going to Landrover.

Pre face lift the infotainment is slow/laggy/half broken.

Last edited:
Soldato
How much is an extended warranty on ipace ..
not as big as an ipace - I looked at id3 the other day for ~3year old / £20K running about £300/pa £250 excess, which didn't seem to bad, with £400 insurance too,
and really represents the only ev I'd consider, with, as born out by insurance, cheaper repairs.
i think it was £570 for the official one for the year. Despite advice from knowledgable people (so maybe more fool me) i didnt pay the extra for the Jaguar enhanced AA recovery as i have the top level of RAC recovery for both our cars with our bank.
remember the battery is covered for 8 years / 100,000 miles so no worries on that front warranty wise (unless you get an older car with high miles of course, but then personally i would pony up the extra for an MY21 or newer face lift with pivi pro, single 12v battery, faster AC charging and slightly newer car myself - unless it was a complete bargain of course then you takes the risk and take your chances.

the ID3 and similar cars are great as well...... but its a totally different beast to the ipace, so it depends on what you want with your car, much like a jaguar F Pace to a golf, they are just different markets.

Last edited:
Soldato

Haha, you wish.

Soldato
I must say so far the experience i have had with marshalls Jaguar in Cambridge has been a positive one, and lots of eye candy on show when you visit.............. some of the cars there are great ;) .

and speaking with their staff they were quite open when i asked about the issues with their support....... as well as how staff were treated when they got their cars flooded last year - at a different jaguar franchise.

(one guy told me it was an utter disgrace and that whilst he would hope that marshalls insurance would be better if my car got damaged under their watch he was now no longer certain!)

but he also echoed what someone mentioned earlier, that the support customers had been getting for repairs had been unacceptable but that it had been a perfect storm of lack of staff (but that they were recruiting heavily and training to work on esp electric cars), the parts shortage, still a hang over from covid but was now light at the end of the tunnel, combined with Jaguar having a total reorganisation of all their inventory of parts, and apparently it had been totally screwed up with a lot of parts missplaced, such that whilst the parts were there somewhere, they didnt know where the hell they were (maybe jonnycoupe can confirm or refute)............... but he also told me that the backlog was going down and they were now repairing more than they were taking in, and they were confident that this should be sorted by end of April this year (he told me that December last year)

Last edited:
Soldato
The massive Mercia park just up the road from me which is the Unipart/JLR centralised site is now working, thats about all i know.

Im on my 3rd one now, 33k on first, 28k on second one. No issues other than a couple of puncture call outs and a front headlamp washer cover fell off.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the thing is (and understandably so) people always shout louder when they have issues, rather than when they dont, which can give a skewed impression.

That said, it is true that some of the things which can go wrong with our ipace, if not covered under warranty or lease can be such a huge amount of money that it would remove any enjoyment of the car for many people if they felt the sword of Damocles over them.

which is why, despite never doing it before, i HAVE paid for the official warranty.

but the thing is, this isnt an ipace, or a jaguar or even an EV issue, it is the same with a significant number of new cars these days....... ultimately i think more and more people are being pushed over to going to a lease if they want a new or nearly new car.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
ultimately i think more and more people are being pushed over to going to a lease if they want a new or nearly new car.

Almost nobody is going to lease a used car - it is very rare to find such a thing. Even personal leasing for new cars isn't that common as it is typically the least flexible and most expensive way to have a new car.

Unless you mean people will use other forms of finance, but this has already been happing for many years - more than 90% of new cars are financed in some way.

Soldato
Almost nobody is going to lease a used car - it is very rare to find such a thing. Even personal leasing for new cars isn't that common as it is typically the least flexible and most expensive way to have a new car.

Unless you mean people will use other forms of finance, but this has already been happing for many years - more than 90% of new cars are financed in some way.
as i understand it, leasing 2nd hand vehicles is now a thing which is starting to gain traction (and it may not even be a bad idea)..... but perhaps i didnt word my thoughts very well, but what i meant is going forward i think we will see a lot more of that, rather than it is a massive thing happening right now, and in the future i think there will be less of buying cars, at least until they are a lot cheaper/older.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had mine just over a year. Mines a late 70 so MY21 I think. More than happy with it. Dailying an EV is great.

Doesn't have the later Pivi Pro which doesn't make that much difference to me as I use Android auto.

HSE with pan roof, performance seats, 360 cam etc.

Only issue I've had so far is the charger lead got stuck in the socket. Pulled the little cord to release it and it came away in my hand - The AA lad knew his quick 5 min job was going to be anything but :D

JLR extended warranty so they gave me a Defender and sorted it within a few days which was fine. More than happy with that.

Some laquer was coming off the black bit at the bottom of the door so they replaced that. Haven't had a problem with the local dealers at all - the oldest Land Rover dealership in Wales I believe.

Man of Honour
as i understand it, leasing 2nd hand vehicles is now a thing which is starting to gain traction (and it may not even be a bad idea)

It sounds like a really bad idea to me. I'd be amazed if it ever becomes popular, what is the point and what does it do that conventional forms of car finance don't do?

and in the future i think there will be less of buying cars, at least until they are a lot cheaper/older.

I still don't really understand your point. 90%+ of new cars are already financed rather than purchased outright. All of these different methods are just different ways of borrowing money to buy a car. None of them are fundamentally different really?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom