• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070 TI @ £799 - doesn't feel too stupid a price?

Associate
Must be like watching paint dry? Prices haven't really changed in 2 weeks...
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £3,510.96 (includes delivery: £11.10)​

You sure about that? Seems like every day at least one cards price is down. That said we've still got a way to go before we're actually seeing really good prices and not just better than the worst prices. :p

Associate
That said we've still got a way to go before we're actually seeing really good prices and not just better than the worst prices. :p

This^

Edit: Especially as you can see buy-it-now prices for RTX3080 cards at just over £800 from you-know-where. These 3070Ti's don't look great value to me at the moment.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
This^

Edit: Especially as you can see buy-it-now prices for RTX3080 cards at just over £800 from you-know-where. These 3070Ti's don't look great value to me at the moment.

this is where the fun starts come august/sep.

do you pull the trigger on the good deals as they have stock or do you gamble on the new cards launching soon.

honestly a sub £500 3070ti wouldnt be too shabby but i can see 3080's being close to that also. will be interesting to see how things pan out. either way i NEED to replace this 1070 this year.

Associate
Some people just like spending a lot more money for a slightly better polished product. Just wish there were more FE cards to go about and before yet another person says you can sign up to telegram etc etc yeah that's great but i have a busy life so it's not going to happen

Soldato
If I were byuing i'd definitely be waiting now, prices have been coming down starting with the used market since the begininng of the year - it's finally happened, home mining has been killed stone dead and there's stock everywhere.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
And so many people insisted that high prices are here to stay. PC gaming is dead etc.

People have been saying PC gaming is dead since the beginning but there's always new blood ready to jump headfirst into the mix and spend ever increasing amounts

at least the pc gaming media (for what its worth) have stopped saying it now, but yes, pc gaming has been dying for 20 years now.

Associate
And so many people insisted that high prices are here to stay. PC gaming is dead etc.

I'd say it's potentially more that "higher-end" PC gaming may eventually die - or at least to some extent. It's not as if all those 3080Ti/3090 cards are flying off the shelves, even at their newly lowered prices; plenty of stock, no buyers.

And if the PS5/XBOX X Series become much more widely available over the coming months, I think that will have more of an impact than a 3090Ti @ £3k or a 600W 4080/90 @ £1.5-2.5k.

Rumours of significantly beefed up consoles in late '23/early '24 may also come into play.

So although things are improving, I wouldn't say it's al rosy in PC gaming land yet.

I think low/mid tier PC gaming will always be around - too many online simple shooters, rpgs, mmo's and gatcha games for that market to ever disappear. ;)

Soldato
The prices have always been weird (overpriced) on the RTX 3070 TI, due to very poor availability (presumably because of the GDDR6X VRAM).

Associate
OP
Well, I happened not to be busy when the latest drop happened so I picked up a 3070ti FE yesterday. I know the 4000 series are coming out soon, but I'm not getting the performance I want in Total War WH 3, the 4000 series seem to be rumoured to use the same power as a 3 bar heater (which means I'd need a new power supply) and my son is desperate for an upgrade for his old card so can have my 1080ti.

Coupled with a new AMD 5700x (reusing cooler, motherboard and memory), hopefully this will do me for another 3-4 years like the last upgrade.

Associate
Well, I happened not to be busy when the latest drop happened so I picked up a 3070ti FE yesterday. I know the 4000 series are coming out soon, but I'm not getting the performance I want in Total War WH 3, the 4000 series seem to be rumoured to use the same power as a 3 bar heater (which means I'd need a new power supply) and my son is desperate for an upgrade for his old card so can have my 1080ti.

Coupled with a new AMD 5700x (reusing cooler, motherboard and memory), hopefully this will do me for another 3-4 years like the last upgrade.

Well done

Soldato

You won’t be disappointed. 4000 series will be another paper launch and the cycle will begin again.

Associate
I'd say it's potentially more that "higher-end" PC gaming may eventually die - or at least to some extent. It's not as if all those 3080Ti/3090 cards are flying off the shelves, even at their newly lowered prices; plenty of stock, no buyers.

And if the PS5/XBOX X Series become much more widely available over the coming months, I think that will have more of an impact than a 3090Ti @ £3k or a 600W 4080/90 @ £1.5-2.5k.

Rumours of significantly beefed up consoles in late '23/early '24 may also come into play.

So although things are improving, I wouldn't say it's al rosy in PC gaming land yet.

I think low/mid tier PC gaming will always be around - too many online simple shooters, rpgs, mmo's and gatcha games for that market to ever disappear. ;)

I don’t think the high end will ever die. We need it for progression.

The reality is it’s always been a minority that had high end cards.

Look at titans of old for example? Not many had that card.

I don’t have the figures but it wouldn’t surprise me if more 3090’s were bought than titans and people thought titans were expensive on release yet they were a bargain in relation to what the high has cost in recent times.

With regards to consoles there’s no debating the value. Especially for the performance. The PS5 in particular is still ahead of PC in some respects, we desperately need direct storage to arrive to compete with the io of that console.

We seem to get more stuttering on pc than we do the console. The last consoles released didn’t really compete with pc at the time.

I’m still waiting to buy another PS5 as I miss the exclusives, I know Sony announced that more games would be coming but Forbidden west isn’t coming anytime soon and I’d love to play demon souls ratchet and Spider-Man again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Will AMD give their chips to Sony and MS basically for free again when they can make a killing on the PC market? Unless there is a contract already in place I don't see it happening.

I can assure you AMD deeply regrets getting involved with next gen consoles, imagine the money they could have made the past couple of years.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t think the high end will ever die. We need it for progression.

The reality is it’s always been a minority that had high end cards.

Look at titans of old for example? Not many had that card.

I don’t have the figures but it wouldn’t surprise me if more 3090’s were bought than titans and people thought titans were expensive on release yet they were a bargain in relation to what the high has cost in recent times.

Agreed, I'm coming around the thinking of buying midrange and upgrading more often. I think that is a better strategy than buying high end and keeping for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom