• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 12gb

Soldato
So the question has finally been answered: Is 10GB enough?

If you are playing games like ACV, FC6, etc the answer is simple, no. 10GB is not enough. And never was.

Which brings us to the new question. Is 12GB enough? New thread?
:D

Last edited:
Caporegime

If you are playing games like ACV, FC6, etc the answer is simple, no. 10GB is not enough. And never was.

And how exactly does that prove that 10GB is not enough?

If you're referring to the performance difference and assuming it is "purely" down to having 2gb more vram.... have a look at the specs of the 12GB model in your provided screenshot of the cards specs i.e. it's not just simply 2GB more vram, the card is better overall than the standard 3080 model.

EDIT:

Also, this:

Please note, we do not review a founder card ... ergo it's faster.

The GeForce RTX 3080 12GB in a reference configuration will sit in-between regular 3080 and 3080 Ti performance. Please understand that the product we review today is factory tweaked with an increase of almost 50 Watts on the power limiter and an added 180 MHz. As such this card performance is NOT comparable towards reference performance, often this 12GB SKU passes the 3080 Ti and sometimes in CPU limited resolutions even the RTX 3090. Again; this article does not show reference performance as Nvidia did not release a founder edition card, capiche? Alright then. Please proceed to the next page.

Last edited:
Soldato

:cry:

I think we all knew 10GB was never going to be enough for a top end card, the only reason the 3080 got 10GB is because it was never meant to be sold as a 3080 and Nvidia had to handicap it in some way or start doubling its price, it was meant to be a 3080ti with more VRAM, the 3070 was meant to be the real 3080 with more VRAM, thank AMD for this one tier up in performance and naming of RTX.

Also not sure what drivers were used in them screenshots as the drivers released for the 3080 12GB were broken and only worked on the 12GB 3080, other cards were not picked up correctly or didn't work right. SO them results maybe a little off too... But the VRAM issue is well an issue, even 8GB on the 3070 and 3070ti is a bad joke too. Can understand the 3060 and 3060ti with 8GB but even the 3060 has 12GB... Nvidia's way of making sure you upgrade again soon if you want to use higher resolutions or games with texture packs that can eat all your VRAM.

Soldato
And how exactly does that prove that 10GB is not enough?

If you're referring to the performance difference and assuming it is "purely" down to having 2gb more vram.... have a look at the specs of the 12GB model in your provided screenshot of the cards specs i.e. it's not just simply 2GB more vram, the card is better overall than the standard 3080 model.
It's not difficult to see that those games are sensitive to the amount of vram made available.
The base and boost clocks are the exact same. And the lower texture units and higher rops does not equal the performance delta seen in those games. :D

There is a healthy increase in power consumption though. Higher then the 3090. So there's that.

Soldato
Not really fair comparison, think I'll be fine with 1440p for now maybe will look into 4k once the cards can give good headroom with FPS ;) like I get now with 1440p

Caporegime
It's not difficult to see that those games are sensitive to the amount of vram made available.
The base and boost clocks are the exact same. And the lower texture units and higher rops does not equal the performance delta seen in those games. :D

Except there is a clear difference in the other specs and some of these do factor in performance, even if tiny, it still all adds to the difference you are seeing i.e. bandwith (912GB/s vs 760GB/s), memory bus (384 bit vs 320 bit) and shader cores [although don't think shader cores impact perf. much, if at all...] (8960 vs 8704) etc.

Also, edited my post above to add this, taken straight from that review:

The GeForce RTX 3080 12GB in a reference configuration will sit in-between regular 3080 and 3080 Ti performance. Please understand that the product we review today is factory tweaked with an increase of almost 50 Watts on the power limiter and an added 180 MHz. As such this card performance is NOT comparable towards reference performance, often this 12GB SKU passes the 3080 Ti and sometimes in CPU limited resolutions even the RTX 3090. Again; this article does not show reference performance as Nvidia did not release a founder edition card, capiche? Alright then. Please proceed to the next page.

And you can see the above taking effect in those very benchmarks you linked there i.e. 3080 12GB beating the 3080ti???

Soldato
Not really fair comparison, think I'll be fine with 1440p for now maybe will look into 4k once the cards can give good headroom with FPS ;) like I get now with 1440p
If no comparison is ever made we would never know. As part of a enthusiast community we should be on the cutting edge of information when it comes to GPU hardware, for example. We should be ahead of the curve, not behind it.

Except there is a clear difference in the other specs and some of these do factor in performance, even if tiny, it still all adds to the difference you are seeing i.e. bandwith (912GB/s vs 760GB/s), memory bus (384 bit vs 320 bit) and shader cores (8960 vs 8704) etc.

Also, edited my post above to add this, taken straight from that review:

And you can see the above taking effect in those very benchmarks you linked there i.e. 3080 12GB beating the 3080ti???
You are talking in circles. Do me a favor. Take a look at the 3080ti spec vs the 3080 12gb spec. You should clearly see that the 3080ti has a much higher spec then the 3080 12gb yet the 3080 12gb is besting it at 4k. Yes, yes, the 3080ti is slightly clocked lower. But the ti should be faster if vram wasn't an issue. That's the point.

Therefore, the spec of the 3080 12gb card, excluding the additional vram, will not give you that performance delta alone at 4k (texture units, rops, memory bus, 2 CUs). And, you have no way to prove that it does. Again, a reduction in texture units with a slight increase in rops does not give you higher performance at 4K. Remember, in that benchmark the base and boost clocks are the same. The main benefit is the increase in vram in those open world games that benefit from it.

It's clear that with the 3080 12GB you should be able to play FC6 with the HD Texture pack without issue, for example.

Last edited:
Associate
3080 12GB should beat the 3080 Ti even when overclocked. The core count an RT cores on the 3080 Ti is still much higher than the 3080 12gb

Caporegime
You are talking in circles. Do me a favor. Take a look at the 3080ti spec vs the 3080 12gb spec. You should clearly see that the 3080ti has a much higher spec then the 3080 12gb yet the 3080 12gb is besting it at 4k. Yes, yes, the 3080ti is slightly clocked lower. But the ti should be faster if vram wasn't an issue. That's the point.

Therefore, the spec of the 3080 12gb card, excluding the additional vram, will not give you that performance delta alone at 4k (texture units, rops, memory bus, 2 CUs). And, you have no way to prove that it does. Again, a reduction in texture units with a slight increase in rops does not give you higher performance at 4K. Remember, in that benchmark the base and boost clocks are the same. The main benefit is the increase in vram in those open world games that benefit from it.

It's clear that with the 3080 12GB you should be able to play FC6 with the HD Texture pack without issue, for example.

For the testing, the base clocks are not the exact same, the table you linked shows just what a "reference 3080 12GB RTX" specs are:

MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM X
This review will focus on the flagship 3080 12G from MSI. The MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM X boasts a massive 1890 MHz boost clock straight out of the box. That’s a rather noteworthy 180 MHz bump seen from the reference boost frequency. The SUPRIM X model also features a TDP of close to 400W which is 350W for the reference 12GB revision 3080. In return, you'll gain more performance, bringing the series very close to 3080 Ti performance levels, and even passing it every now and then. MSI equipped the card with a semi-passive design; the three fans start to spin and cool once the GPU warms up. It has a dual BIOS with gaming (perf) and silent mode. Make no mistake; both modes offer the same performance within a 1% differential; just a marginal difference in temperatures and acoustics can be perceived. SUPRIM X has been fitted with a TRI FROZR cooling solution with three TORX 4.0 fans. New in the design is that it has close quarters heat pipes around the VRM and a backplate (which is now made of metal). So that provides even better cooling. To power such large values, the cards have been equipped with 3x 8 (6+2) pins, which creates compatibility issues with some power supply cables and power supplies. Therefore, it is recommended that you have at least a 750 Watt power supply for this graphics card. At 1853g, this puppy is fairly hefty and large, measuring 336 x 140 x 61mm. You'll also receive a complimentary mouse mat and an additional stand to accommodate the card's weight if desired. It is nonetheless a thing of beauty.

So are you saying increasing overall specs of a card won't provide any benefit to perf. either? In that case, better tell nvidia to not bother increasing memeory bandwitch etc. then :D

Given the significantly higher boost clock etc., this is a bad comparison but an easy way to solve and prove that there is more to the card gaining the extra perf. than just "extra 2GB VRAM"... lets look at games where total amount of vram is not an issue for the measly 10gb 3080:

0oQugrv.png

5nWTGzn.png

And eteknix review where it shows the 3080 12GB being a better performer across all games (where vram amount is a non-issue):

So to conclude, boost clock and better specs "overall" is why you're seeing somewhat of an increase in perf.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
For the testing, the base clocks are not the exact same, the table you linked shows just what a "reference 3080 12GB RTX" specs are:

So are you saying increasing overall specs of a card won't provide any benefit to perf. either? In that case, better tell nvidia to not bother increasing memeory bandwitch etc. then :D

Given the significantly higher boost clock etc., this is a bad comparison but an easy way to solve and prove that there is more to the card gaining the extra perf. than just "extra 2GB VRAM"... lets look at games where total amount of vram is not an issue for the measly 10gb 3080:

0oQugrv.png

5nWTGzn.png

And eteknix review where it shows the 3080 12GB being a better performer across all games (where vram amount is a non-issue):

So to conclude, boost clock and better specs "overall" is why you're seeing somewhat of an increase in perf.

Extra 2gb vram destroys the og 3080, 3080 owners in tears :p:D

Soldato
The full review is here https://www.guru3d.com/articles_summary/msi_geforce_rtx_3080_suprim_x_12gb_review.html , the card used was a MSI Suprim X that can use 450w when overclocked too. It's an OC 3080 12GB so no surprise it beats a stock 3080ti FE in some cases, at 4k the 3080ti beats it in most cases even not oced.
I can believe it, I get around 156 fps in the SOTTR benchmark @1440p with my 3080FE but if I overclock the memory + core and max out the power limit it jumps to 170fps which is a 9% boost over stock and only just under what a stock 3080ti FE would give so it's not supprising a top of the line factory OC 3080 12gb beats the standard 3080ti FE.

Soldato
I can believe it, I get around 156 fps in the SOTTR benchmark @1440p with my 3080FE but if I overclock the memory + core and max out the power limit it jumps to 170fps which is a 9% boost over stock and only just under what a stock 3080ti FE would give so it's not supprising a top of the line factory OC 3080 12gb beats the standard 3080ti FE.

Exactly.. The difference in performance between each card is very small to start with, same will happen when 3090Ti comes out the oc models of 3090 will beat it again, but oc the 3090Ti (if it has more room to oc, yet to be seen) should again beat the oc 3090. We have seen this before many times.

Back
Top Bottom