• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 / 3090 / 3070 Gigabyte Eagle Gaming OC & Vision Power Connector Concerns

Associate
OP
Hi,

I'm from France. I have received yesterday my brand new Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision (s/n 2042) ... But sadly it doesn't work.
After many checkings and cables replacing, i see some issue on the 6 pin connector ... one of them is more pressed in than the others, as you can see on pictures below.

Then i found many pages on the internet about this issue ... As i can read on the first thread, issue seems to be still present on Gigabyte RTX 3070 ... Throught the backplate, it seems to be the old connectors type.

I made a RMA with my retailer , Materiel.net webshop (LDLC Group branch) ... Waiting for their reply early this next week ...

@GIGA-Man : Does Gigabyte have support for this issue with retailers or customers in France ?

Thanks for your replies and this helpfull thread !

Cordialement

JB

Oh my this is not good to hear re the 3070's being effected looks like i will have to update OP on this

thx for sharing this and letting us know ..hope you get sorted quickly

@GIGA-Man any idea what's happened here when these where suppose to have the new connector block ?

Associate
So I finally installed my gaming oC today. Probably plugged and unplugged the 8 pin a dozen time trying to find the most esthetically pleasing angle for the cables. Was being extremely gentle tho due to the worry even if mine is wk42. Since it doesn't have the heat shrink, am a little worry. So far, no problem, everything worked.

Associate
Oh my this is not good to hear re the 3070's being effected looks like i will have to update OP on this

@GIGA-Man any idea what's happened here when these where suppose to have the new connector block ?

Thanks for your support ! :)

In french hardware community, this issue begins to appear as the RTX and more particularly the Gigabyte's ones start to be delivered to customers.

Associate
Wonder if their offices are still empty. No word from their RMA team since Thursday. I saw some other people talk about sending their card in for an RMA, and getting it back within a few days. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting almost a week after having sent it. If the delay is because of the lockdown, then fair enough. But they should've indicated as such beforehand, considering it was announced before I even got my GPU in the first place.

EDIT: Speak of the devil, just got an email now to confirm that I should be getting the card back tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate

I've just seen this and am chasing my HQ for an answer on what's going on. Will reply as soon as I know.

Associate
Man I'm gonna be so niffed if I finally get my 3080 after nearly two months and its got a dodgy connector I was assured was resolved on all future stock over a month ago. At least we in the UK has a service in place to repair the cards in a timely fashion. I should count my blessings.

Associate
update:
my 2035 that came late october. dosen't have a heatshrink. yet i plugged in my pcie cables many times and its still good.

Associate
This thread was linked to me via Reddit. I have the Vision OC version of this card and mine was essentially DOA. Powers on; but no signal at all. Swapped old GPU in and no problem. Granted, I could be part of a very small subset that truly had simply a bad unit, but others are reporting no heat shrink around their Vision but the bands that were referenced on the first page of this thread. Anyone else having issues with the 3080 Vision?

Associate
p67326xgocy51.jpg

Looks like we have bad thermal pad contact. The Gaming OC base plate is cooling both GDDR6X and GPU core.
I get Thrm throttle at 49-50 degrees on heavy memory workloads. This might also cause crashes in Games that heavily tax the GDDR6X memory.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Btw this is from new batch. 2042*

Associate
Well its obviously not the GPU core temp where its throttling since I'm fairly sure the threshold is around 72 Celsius. Unfortunately there's no real way to tell what temp the memory modules are at, that said I'm not even sure perfcap gets popped by the temp of the memory modules anyway.

All that to say the Memory Controller is working at near 100% so its working perfectly fine and your GPU doesn't seem to be thermal capped unless its been turned down to 54 Celsius. Nothing really suggests there's an issue with the thermal pads, you'd expect temps to be a lot higher if there were. GPU-Z has a history of reporting false PerfCaps so I'd try some regular benchmarks and see if the temp continues to rise even after it says its capped.

Associate
Hey @GIGA-Man ,

Since the torch has now been passed to you for providing Gigabyte updates on stock (and we don't have a dedicated thread, unless you count the main thread which is just a gathering place for people to coordinate social media barrages atm) I was wondering if you had any information about incoming stock this week.

Last update from Gibbo on the 6th was "...but there are small amounts of stock due across the range and they are promising a larger delivery end of next week."

I only moved 5 places for the 3080 Gaming OC on my Friday update and have had no dispatch email as of yet so don't know what happened to the remaining volume since there was meant to be a 'low teen' volume of them. Do you have any information on that or on this expected larger delivery this week and what volumes we can expect?

Thanks in advance.

Associate
Ok, what the hell? I got the card back today, and plugged in the cables to check that they would go in this time. They did, so I took them out, and slotted the GPU into my PC. Then when I went to put the cables back in, suddenly they wouldn't go in anymore. Apparently the pins were fragile enough that one connect and disconnect set them out of place. It would seem that Gigabyte just put a bandaid on the connector problem. So I remain stuck with my old GPU yet again.

EDIT: Used a small needle to straighten out the pins, which fixed the connection issues. But for a £650 product, the user really shouldn't have to be doing that.

Last edited:
Associate
Well its obviously not the GPU core temp where its throttling since I'm fairly sure the threshold is around 72 Celsius. Unfortunately there's no real way to tell what temp the memory modules are at, that said I'm not even sure perfcap gets popped by the temp of the memory modules anyway.

All that to say the Memory Controller is working at near 100% so its working perfectly fine and your GPU doesn't seem to be thermal capped unless its been turned down to 54 Celsius. Nothing really suggests there's an issue with the thermal pads, you'd expect temps to be a lot higher if there were. GPU-Z has a history of reporting false PerfCaps so I'd try some regular benchmarks and see if the temp continues to rise even after it says its capped.

Yea It's not the GPU core temp but the card is thermally throttling and since it's a memory intensive load it should be VRM/GDDR6X temperature? I am betting on GDDR6X temps. The card boosted back to normal core clocks (temporarily) after pointing a fan to the backplate.

What makes you think that it's not issue with thermal pads on memory?

Associate
Ok, what the hell? I got the card back today, and plugged in the cables to check that they would go in this time. They did, so I took them out, and slotted the GPU into my PC. Then when I went to put the cables back in, suddenly they wouldn't go in anymore. Apparently the pins were fragile enough that one connect and disconnect set them out of place. It would seem that Gigabyte just put a bandaid on the connector problem. So I remain stuck with my old GPU yet again.

EDIT: Used a small needle to straighten out the pins, which fixed the connection issues. But for a £650 product, the user really shouldn't have to be doing that.
This is what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid of going through the effort of shipping my card out to them and them not doing anything to fix the issue and sending it straight back to me.

I'm not sitting here for 2-3 weeks without a GPU just to receive the same faulty GPU.

Are you in the UK? Seems wild that it wasn't handled properly over there. I thought for sure based on this thread the issue was being resolved appropriately over there.

Associate
OP

That is not good to hear at all.
So it seems even the new blocks can have issues also

If it was me i would just send it back and get a full refund its not worth the trouble. Not with the amount these cards cost.

Back
Top Bottom