• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 Ti or 7900 XTX

Soldato
OP
Get a better monitor first. Then get a 5000 series card when they’re out or a used 4090 at that time depending on budget.

A 100hz lcd kinda sucks given the options in the market.
I thought non LCD (OLED) still suffer from screen burn. I did look at new monitors but gave up based on reviews of OLEDs having screen burn.
I spend the majority of the time on desktop so dont really want my icons melting into a new monitor!

Soldato
A 3090ti > 7900XTX is around a 15% boost to raster and a 100w power saving but you’d also be getting a reduction in RT and the loss of DLSS upscaling.

Might as well wait for next gen at this point.

Associate
I thought non LCD (OLED) still suffer from screen burn. I did look at new monitors but gave up based on reviews of OLEDs having screen burn.
I spend the majority of the time on desktop so dont really want my icons melting into a new monitor!

Yeah, I simply wont switch to OLED for monitors or TV due to the HUDs or music titles that can be left on for hours. My favorite TV manufacturer SONY has switched their high end TVs to be mini LED this year which is great as far as I am concerned as it will push this tech forward. I currently own a SONY K95 MINI LED from a year or so back and although their is some blooming in a dark room (not my viewing preference) it disappears with ambient light so its a win for me.

Anyhow back on topic.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I simply wont switch to OLED for monitors or TV due to the HUDs or music titles that can be left on for hours. My favorite TV manufacturer SONY has switched their high end TVs to be mini LED this year which is great as far as I am concerned as it will push this tech forward. I currently own a SONY K95 MINI LED from a year or so back and although their is some blooming in a dark room (not my viewing preference) it disappears with ambient light so its a win for me.

Anyhow back on topic.
All relevant really as GPU and monitor goes hand in hand.
TV wise, im still using an LG 52" plasma from ~2014! Im sure it went through something like 12 hours of babestation one night and the logo was burned into the screen for about a week :D It's all good though now, must have self healed.

Associate
I'd go so far to say update the monitor before looking at the gfx card, 175Hz UW OLED screens aren't a fortune these days...
oled blows and im not getting it for gaming till i dont have to go through 8000 steps per day to stop it burning in and being crap in 3 years of heavy use.

@op personally i wouldnt change cards unless you are not hitting your monitor refresh rate

Last edited:
Soldato
Rage 128, 9700, X1800 and I think a 7950.
Excellent cards, I also had a Rage 128, 9800 Pro, X1900XTX, 3870, 4850, 4870, 7900 and others.
Back then you're right, the drivers needed more work, however they've improved massively in the last ten years, and although they're still not perfect on release of a new architecture/generation, they're often now decent fairly quickly into a card's lifespan, as long as no underlying hardware issues. To the point I've had as many issues with both camps in the last 5 years, and realistically, probably more on Nvidia.

This recent review tells a lot of the story for us, the 7900XTX is often now second fiddle only to the 4090 on average, as long as you aren't desperate for DLSS/RT performance, and as the 3090/3090TI are in many of the tables, gives you some direct comparison points :)

My wife also recently got a 7900XT and it dumps all over her old 3080; and at higher resolution to boot.
Minimum FPS is probably more relevant than average, as it you'll notice drops more than average. About 30% faster for minimums averaged over thier game suite, and Warzone is a very AMD friendly title, so likely to be higher, maybe 50%+.
minimum-fps-2560-1440.png

If you can get a good deal on a decent 7900XTX and lose nothing or even make some money back, you've not got much to lose, albeit I wouldn't bother at this point in the cycle, if you were going to have spend any decent change (as the next Nvidia gen will be faster, and the next AMD gen will probably be a BIT faster but with decently improved RT, and a cheaper price, if the current rumour mill is anywhere near on point).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom