• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Waste of money. Get the 3080FE (not much difference in performance), in a few years sell it on and get the next similar card which will be much better than the 3090.....
Waste of money? The 3070 will be all I need for years anyway and I’m not going to spend weeks or months trying to get a 3080FE.

I can sit with the 3070 and get a 3080Ti next year if I feel the need.

A2B

A2B

Associate
just goes to show everyone has different needs. I was planning on sticking with my 3070 as the gaming benchmarks showed the jump to 3080 wasn't that big, but then I saw benchmarks for the video editing software I use (and how I use it) that showed a much bigger perf increase as the stuff I do is more compute-bound. So 3080 is worth it for me.

Associate
Do you have an Afterburner fan profile setup or similar? This can interfere with the zero-rpm fan function iirc.

It wasn't that, turns out it just runs in a really weird way. My old card used to turn off the fans as soon as it went below 55c. This seems to wait 10 - 15 minutes before it will do it.

Soldato
I undervolted my 3080 until my waterblock arrives. currently running it 1865mhz with 850mv and temps are around 63C max and rather than using 306w playing red dead 2 it's now using 225w.

However for some reason my 5900x is all core boosting to over 4850mhz for over 10 sec or more causing the game to crash now and again. When I had the GTX 1080 it would usually have 2 or 3 cores boost to 4950mhz for a few sec. I'll probably do a bios reset later.

Associate
Also playing around with undervolting, seems to be stable at 1900mhz @ 825mv (timespy, port royale, couple hours of cyberpunk and hell let loose). Not sure if I should go for higher clocks or leave it as is as im pretty happy with that.

Was hitting 78-80c at stock and 300-330w (stock FE fan profile so silent), now its 70c and 250wish and scores have gone up slightly in benchmarks.

Soldato
OP
Also playing around with undervolting, seems to be stable at 1900mhz @ 825mv (timespy, port royale, couple hours of cyberpunk and hell let loose). Not sure if I should go for higher clocks or leave it as is as im pretty happy with that.

Was hitting 78-80c at stock and 300-330w (stock FE fan profile so silent), now its 70c and 250wish and scores have gone up slightly in benchmarks.

How are you measuring the power consumption?

Associate
After a bit of playing around with 3070 FE, undervolt of 0.9v, most games run cool on a low 44% rpm at around 68C, games like Control, maybe because its using DLSS (or not full fat RTX?). Whereas Quake II RTX and Superposition benchmark take it up to high 87C and it throttles (according to GPU-Z), so I've made a new fan curve/step; if it goes over 79C go faster than 44%.

Soldato
I use a wall/socket meter.

maxresdefault.jpg

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yes, I have one of them. I haven't paid any attention to power draw as I have a 1000w PSU but might have a wee look now that it's been mentioned. :)

It is more needed for the AMD cards to be honest. My 1060 and 3090 the software is very close to what its drawing (just the GPU) so if you add another 2% it is whats being consumed. AMD cards leave off the additonal components so you need the wall measurement to fill in the gap, so the software isnt accounting for another chunk of watts being consumed.

When I have undervolt extreme setting and locked clockspeed it doesn't give all the performance available but consumes 265w compared to the stock 380w - so when you need the power saving thats a whopping 115w saved in some tasks for adequate performance, really impressive!

You know it! :)

Associate
Noob question, am I okay to use one PCIe split power cable for 3080 FE coming out of the PSU?
Images below. Or should I use two separate ones.

Soldato
After a bit of playing around with 3070 FE, undervolt of 0.9v, most games run cool on a low 44% rpm at around 68C, games like Control, maybe because its using DLSS (or not full fat RTX?). Whereas Quake II RTX and Superposition benchmark take it up to high 87C and it throttles (according to GPU-Z), so I've made a new fan curve/step; if it goes over 79C go faster than 44%.
What clock speed are you using at 0.9v and how does it bench compared to standard?

Back
Top Bottom