• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
Luckily nothing at all like that on my 3080 Ti.

Considering the 3080 Ti has the same fan as the 3080 FE, I'll make the optimistic assumption that you're blessed with a cooler which doesn't make this noise.

In which case, I'll see if I can get Nvidia/Scan to give me a replacement. I'm fortunate to have an EVGA 3070 so I can keep bothering Nvidia until they make it right i think

Soldato
So I lucked out and managed to acquire a 3080 FE this week. Much how I remember when I used to have a 3070 FE, the fans make a "hiss" at low RPM as evidenced in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nWyfdMcYI

I'm fairly pedantic because I strive for a very quiet ITX build. Have you guys found this sound goes away / you stop caring / don't notice it? It makes me want to try trading the card for an AIB.

Cheers
Hi mate.

I have the same problem. Found the same video.

Was the IO port end fan for me. Horrible. Apparently many have tried to RMA and it been rejected as apparently in spec. Not sure about UK customers though.

I never tried and just put a block on in the end. Wanted to do it anyway, as its a greater underclocker, so i kept it.

Looking at the fan it's simply a manufacturing defect with something rubbing in the inside of the hub. If the fans were readily available it would be a simple swop. But they're not. :(

Last edited:
Associate
Hi mate.

I have the same problem. Found the same video.

Was the IO port end fan for me. Horrible. Apparently many have tried to RMA and it been rejected as apparently in spec. Not sure about UK customers though.

I never tried and just put a block on in the end. Wanted to do it anyway, as its a greater underclocker, so i kept it.

Looking at the fan it's simply a manufacturing defect with something rubbing in the inside of the hub. If the fans were readily available it would be a simple swop. But they're not. :(

Exactly the same fan for me too (the one next to the video ports); the other fan works perfectly. Glad to know other people have had the issue.

I wish there was an aftermarket cooler available because I really don't want to go the watercooling block route. It's good it worked for you :)

Soldato
I'd just keep the RTX 3080 FE as it is, it's not broken... They are difficult enough to buy and you can always sell it in a year when new cards come out.

Maybe play with the fan profiles, increasing the speed might produce a more acceptable noise, e.g. if the noise is too high pitch.

Mask the noise with something else if you can, or wear on ear headphones?

If it really bothers you still, you could try to file down the offending part slightly, if it's accessible.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could try RMA it , I rmed 3080fe for coil whine got replacement within 1 week , these are not like AIB cards they actually have stock to replace

Associate
Hmmmm, given how much Nvidia can charge for the newer cards, the 3080FE will become even more rare..

thats my theory, I think they will send most of the chips to aib to put into 12gb 3080’s probably making them much more money going by the leaked prices.

Soldato
Absolutely, given the number of cards that use the same die, newer cards will make them more money, and Nvidia has proven that they don't give a rats ass about getting cards into the hands of gamers, they want to shift as many new cards at inflated profits because the state of the market has dictated the price people are willing to pay, Nvidia wants their chunk of that..

Soldato
I reckon they still make decent money on the RTX 3080 FE. £650 is still a lot of cash for a GFX card (even if it's a lot less than they used to charge for the RTX 2080 TI).

Maybe not for the RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 TI FEs though.

For the RTX 3080 12GB, the GPU dies have 70 SMs specifically, I wonder how many of these will actually be produced in practice, considering they are a notch above the RTX 3080 10GB dies.

No FE edition for the 12GB model means the sky is the limit in terms of price, they are probably at least twice as profitable as the RTX 3080 FE. Can't find one for sale in the UK, so they seem like limited edition cards basically...

Full review of a RTX 3080 12GB here:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-suprim-x-12gb-review,1.html

The card seems to shine in titles like Assassins Creed: Valhalla at 4K.

Seems to be getting boost clocks of 2000mhz+, which looks higher than other 3080s I've seen (not that you'd need it).

Another reason for not doing a Founders Edition version, is that in a lot of titles (benchmarks too) the performance is very close to the RTX 3080 TI...

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably because the RTX 3080 10GB dies are more clock frequency limited, (somewhat) lower grade silicon should have higher yields.

The other thing to mention, is that GDDR6X (VRAM in general) is still in short supply...

Last edited:
Soldato
I should imagine its more a case of making a full GA102, then binning them according to what makes the most money, 3090Ti at the top, then 3090, 3080Ti, 3080 12Gb and then the vanilla 3080, there's a lot of places to make more money before they get to the bottom of that list and land on the 3080, but at £650 its the best performance for your money, the rest make Nvidia more money and you get less performance for your money...

Soldato
So failed dies go down to the 3080 the ones that cant make 3080ti, 3080 12gb ? how do they keep the FHR on the 3080FE ? isnt that on the chip itself ?

Associate
I've ended up selling my 3080fe from the last drop. I never intended that when I bought it but felt I couldn't turn down the silly money being offered.

Caporegime
I reckon they still make decent money on the RTX 3080 FE.

Of course they do. It has been out for nearly a year and a half now. Probably isn't costing them much to make, and no doubt have there focus on the next gen stuff now.

Dread to think what the mark up is on the 3080 12gb/3080Ti. Must be nuts.

Soldato
They should really make it 1 Founders Edition per year, per household. But the last thing they want to do is flood the market with reference models...

Back
Top Bottom