• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

A2B

A2B

Associate
I wonder why they didn't put pads on these, it has to be pennies in the scheme of things. Artificially limit their use for mining?

It would make sense - I'm pretty sure NV wanted to take miners out of retail cards (as much as possible) to stop the RRP form skyrocketing (well something else spoiled those plans :) ). We've heard they sold to batches direct to miners (same reason I suspect) and that they're thinking of making dedicated mining cards without display outs.

Then again, hardcore miners will probably mod the consumer cards anyway, but I guess it reduces casual use.

Soldato
It’s not just mining though causing high mem temps, see my post a bit back. Some games with ray tracing can hammer the temps.

I hit 94 degrees on the memory earlier testing out Control again, with everything at max including all ray tracing. This is on a 3090 FE with an under volt curve so it was only at 0.80v. If the card was at stock volts it would likely be 100 degrees plus!

Soldato
Thanks for those images. I presume those heatpads are replacing the ones on the actual backplate when you take the backplate off? For some reason I thought the thermal pads had to be 3mm

A2B

A2B

Associate
It’s not just mining though causing high mem temps, see my post a bit back. Some games with ray tracing can hammer the temps.

Hmm. Just read up on this, nothing definite but the temperature readout may be the internal temp, not the surface temp, and is approx 14C higher than the surface temp. Someone claims that's how GDDR6 is used on AMD cards at least: News - GDDR6X in 3080 and 3090 Hits 110C While Mining Ethereum | Tom's Hardware Forum

It seems correct as apparently NV start throttling when RAM temps read 110C, so that adds up.

EDIT: or HWinfo isn't interpreting the sensor properly, ie. there may be an implicit offset (eg. above).

Last edited:
Soldato
So zotac USA just tweeted a pic of Gpus setup for mining, tagging gamers end miners, way not to read the room. Always thought they were decent, definitely not now.

Soldato
So zotac USA just tweeted a pic of Gpus setup for mining, tagging gamers end miners, way not to read the room. Always thought they were decent, definitely not now.

None of these companies give a hoot about gamers specifically, just tailoring to their market/customers in general. Miners have taken a big chunk of the market so stands to reason to aim their products wider than just gamers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the guide, no decent 1.5mm pads anywhere at the moment though.

depends what you mean by decent or do you mean higher thermal conductivity. These are pads used in the Overclock thread. The Thermalright ones are available elsewhere if you look for £13 but I cant mention a competitor

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-thermal-pad-145x145x1-5mm-th-01g-ar.html

Dont forget no reason why you cant stack pads. So buy 1mm and 0.5mm and stack them providing they are the same in thermal conductivity.

Thanks for those images. I presume those heatpads are replacing the ones on the actual backplate when you take the backplate off? For some reason I thought the thermal pads had to be 3mm

I was reading the whole of the overclock thread last night to try and better understand what is actually being done. They replace the existing pads with new ones and also add extra pads where heat buildup has been tested to be from components on the front side. The 3090 uses 1.5mm pads and its down to preference but most just use them on the rearside of the card but some also replace them on the front side. The rearside is easiest as all you need to do is unscrew it thats it. As for the 3080FE there is some confusion over whether you use 1.5mm or 2.0mm/2.5mm. The reason is on the backside 3080FE has missing VRAM (as thats where the 3090fe extra VRAM is) so the 2.0mm/2.5mm pads should be used where the RAM should be but 1.5mm in other areas.

As for the question why Nvidia doesnt do it this is because the hot components are actually on the GPU side which has the GPU cooling but on the backside (where the components are not) the heat still occurs so the idea is to add the pads on the backside opposite where the components are on the frontside and thus transferring heat to the backplate. So in short in normal config only one side is taking away the heat but adding thermal pads to the back results in heat being taken away with the backplate. Something manufacturers dont normally do anyway. Seems to result in a drop of about 5c on the RAM but people have stated then can improve the clocks slightly. Then some have took it a bit further by adding a heatsink and fan sat on top of the backplate to cool it further.

Bit on the fence whether I can bother to do my 3080fe but tinkering like this is sometimes what I like to do.

Last edited:
Associate
once you have your founders edition card do you need to register it anywhere for the warranty? I've just looked on the Nvidia web site and it wasn't obvious to me, or is the fact that you purchased it from them sufficient?

Soldato
None of these companies give a hoot about gamers specifically, just tailoring to their market/customers in general. Miners have taken a big chunk of the market so stands to reason to aim their products wider than just gamers.
I’m not saying they do, but don’t try to post on social media in the way they have. Read the room.

Back
Top Bottom