• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

32 to 64bit aint a big leap, why?

Associate
Hi guys,

I was just wondering why going from 32bit to 64bit CPUs doesnt seem that much better compared to going from 8bit to 16bit or 16bit to 32bit, where there was a big difference. Most 64bit CPUs are still running in 32bit mode, is it because software hasn't taken advantage of 64bit yet, or is it because we dont need 64bits yet?

Oh, and how did 8bit CPUs handle large numbers?
Thanks

Cob

Cob

Soldato
metalmackey said:
Hi guys,

I was just wondering why going from 32bit to 64bit CPUs doesnt seem that much better compared to going from 8bit to 16bit or 16bit to 32bit, where there was a big difference. Most 64bit CPUs are still running in 32bit mode, is it because software hasn't taken advantage of 64bit yet, or is it because we dont need 64bits yet?

It's all because the software developers won't put the effort into x64 yet.

metalmackey said:
Oh, and how did 8bit CPUs handle large numbers?

Slowly :p

Cob

Cob

Soldato
The OP asked already.

And I'd like a explaination other than the usual software companies response of "there's no market for it yet".

Soldato
tell first and people wont have to ask you

64bit isnt much faster because, put rather simply, it olny really allows bigger numbers to be used without having to split them up - which slows the process down conciderably becuase you have to process the larger numbers in seperate chunks.

With the transition from 8 to 16 bit you see an increase in the biggest number you can store as a whole from 255 to 65,535. moving to 32bit that increased again to 4,294,967,295.

As you can imagine a 64bit number it pretty damn large (18,446,744,073,709,551,615), and there arent many uses for numbers with that many digits which is why a lot of programs wont benifit from 64bit *as they are* unless totally rewritten with some heavy optimisation.

what it does do is overcome the memory limitation for 32bit cpus which is roughly 4gb. I'm sure that'll be useful sooner or later lol.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
james.miller said:
tell first and people wont have to ask you

64bit isnt much faster because, put rather simply, it olny really allows bigger numbers to be used without having to split them up - which slows the process down conciderably becuase you have to process the larger numbers in seperate chunks.

With the transition from 8 to 16 bit you see an increase in the biggest number you can store as a whole from 255 to 65,535. moving to 32bit that increased again to 4,294,967,295.

As you can imagine a 64bit number it pretty damn large (18,446,744,073,709,551,615), and there arent many uses for numbers with that many digits which is why a lot of programs wont benifit from 64bit *as they are* unless totally rewritten with some heavy optimisation.

what it does do is overcome the memory limitation for 32bit cpus which is roughly 4gb. I'm sure that'll be useful sooner or later lol.
Thanks, cisnt more data being processed at once, which will be faster?

Soldato
not really. Its more complcated than just talking about the size of numbers due to modern cpu optimisations (which are also out of my depth) but basically it would take a 64bit cpu the same time to process a value of 200 as an 8bit cpu - 1 cycle. the difference being when they are asked to process a large number where the 8bit cpu might split it in to two chunks or even 3 and so take more cycles to process the same number.

Man of Honour
Soldato
james.miller said:
not really. Its more complcated than just talking about the size of numbers due to modern cpu optimisations (which are also out of my depth) but basically it would take a 64bit cpu the same time to process a value of 200 as an 8bit cpu - 1 cycle. the difference being when they are asked to process a large number where the 8bit cpu might split it in to two chunks or even 3 and so take more cycles to process the same number.
Indeed. Remember too that all this bit discussion is for integers. Floats are best when optimized for SSE (or AltiVec depending on architecture ;)). SSE provided four registers for 64-bit floats back with Katmai. SSE2 brought 128-bit operations to the table with even more registers.

Associate
OP
Seems like developers have got it easy now, back in the 8bit days they had toovercome the limits. Now with all the SDKs like DirectX and 32/64bit big limits, a lot of the work is done for them.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Hey qwerty, welcome to the forums. You might want to make yourself familiar with the FAQ. Your sig, if it's going to be text, has to be fewer than 4 lines of regular sized text.

Enjoy yourself. :)

EDIT: I meant to say that it has to be 4 lines or fewer. Perhaps I should go re-read the FAQ. ;) :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom