3200 Mhz RAM, causing freezing at stock.

Associate
OP
I ended up in a clear cmos booting hell for awhile too.

I found that putting the 2 sticks in first, and then changing the frequency and voltage, booting into windows and then shutting down the computer and then putting the other 2 in worked.
If I stick them all in at once It just wouldn't boot and I would end up having to clear CMOS.

Soldato
I've tried every freq on 1.35v... the one time I've set the V up 1.36 I don't know why my pc didn't boot until I did a clear CMOS

could it be a problem having 4 sticks of the same ram instead of just 2 ?
Assuming you have already tested the memory for faults my guess would be its just the memory controller which was pretty poor on early ryzens, maybe look at upgrading to the 4200g when that comes out soon.

Soldato
I've had loads of issues with memory. Anything over the stock max speed (2400mhz for DDR4) is an overclock and not guaranteed, despite what manufacturers claim. It gets worse with more sticks installed. It might not boot or it might run for days before crashing, or may be fine.

You might have to relax timings a bit to get 3200mhz. I had to use CL17 instead of 16, other timings stayed the same.

Last edited:
Associate
Question, what is limiting my build right now ? The mobo ASUS PRime B450M-A, or the Ryzen 5 2400g ?
I ask this because, if I would keep these 4 sticks, I would like to know if I had to upgrade the mobo to a x570 chipset, or maybe just the CPU to a ryzen 3600x for example, what do u say?

Soldato
Question, what is limiting my build right now ? The mobo ASUS PRime B450M-A, or the Ryzen 5 2400g ?
I ask this because, if I would keep these 4 sticks, I would like to know if I had to upgrade the mobo to a x570 chipset, or maybe just the CPU to a ryzen 3600x for example, what do u say?
the memory controller resides on the CPU so changing that out will make much more of a difference.

If you already have a Gpu then a 3600 would be a very nice upgrade but if you need something with onboard graphics then I'd hold out for the new 4000G CPUs which come with up to 8 cores and SMT enabled and should be arriving in a few weeks.

Associate
I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to 3600X... I see it's in the compatible list for my mobo.

I have a RX590 Nitro+ , so I'm not needing the integrated graphics anymore... I'm not sure if according to this table (link below) my mobo will still be able to handle the 4 sticks mem to over 2133Mhz even after changing my cpu, what do u say?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...y_QVL_For_AMD_2000_Series_Processors_B450.pdf

I'm not really sure about those last columns on the list stating that will support 2 sticks but not 4 at that speed...

Associate
]Hey guys, coming back to tell you that I've finally bought a Ryzen 5 3600X and it worked! I now have the 32gb (4x8) Corsair Vengeance running at 3200Mhz with the DOCP activated... at least since this afternoon that I've installed the cpu it was stable.
Thanks a lot for your feedbacks

Associate
Thanks for sharing all this info, guys. I assembled a small form factor for my kid play some games, like Fifa 21 and Fall guys, with a similar config: 3400G, Asus Rog Strix B450-I, 32GB 3200MHz RAM (I know it's too much, but I upgraded my main PC to 64GB to just used these sticks).

Even with RAM on 1.39V and SoC with additional 0.175V, I was still facing game freezes. I downclocked the RAM to 2933MHz and now it's fine.

Probably when I upgrade my processor, I'll give my 4650G to my kid and test again at 3200MHz.

Back
Top Bottom