325i sport (e30)

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Is this really the case, especially given what rare and Mr_Sukabee have said about the constant breakdowns?
I have no interest in the rest of the range apart from the 318IS and the 325I Sport - so that's all I'm basing it on.

The 318is had the m42 DOHC engine that went into the e36 - a good friend of mine ran one for years with no real problems (just normal replacements).

Another friend of mine has a rather nice <100k 325i Sport with FSH and its never given him any real problems. Then again like every car, you get bad ones. If they break, there are lots in the scrappies to take parts from. It's generally now considered to be an enthusiasts car - very few people will use them for long distance commuting and daily driving (the sports that is..). I certainly wouldnt choose one if I was doing more than 10k/year. I'd have an e39 5 series tbh if that was the case and an e30 for the weekends :p

In all honesty, I can only ever see myself having 318is's, as these are the cars I know more about and definitely seem to be a great engine. To me, it's all about having fun, I have a company car which I will use during the week and take out the e30 at the weekends. They have gone past the stage of having to compete directly with newer cars as "sensible" options, but I do stick to my guns and say that they would not cost more to run then an e36 318is/325i, as long as you had a good, properly maintained car to begin with.

Man of Honour
commited said:
I have no interest in the rest of the range apart from the 318IS and the 325I Sport - so that's all I'm basing it on.

But this is what rare and Mr_Sukabee owned - both 325's - and both speak of large amounts of repairs required and lots of money needed to keep them on the road.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
But this is what rare and Mr_Sukabee owned - both 325's - and both speak of large amounts of repairs required and lots of money needed to keep them on the road.

The only experience i have of them is a £600 MOT too, nothing huge, just loads of niggles with suspension and stuff (my mates 325i sport)

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
- Electrics. Failed heated seats, dodgy indicators
- New ball joints (common fault)
- Replacement gearbox
Since when is that a large amount of repairs on a 15-20 year old car? All of that could be sorted for less than £300 easily. Hardly "lots of money".

Where did rare itemise all the things he had to repair on his - from what I can see he just listed all the potential faults.

Soldato
I did quite a lot of miles on mine. But yes, it DID need a lot of work. Clutch, Oil seals, Head gasket, all the bushes on the rear,rear bearings, both front lower arms, alternator, starter motor,water pump,timing belt, both rear rear driveshafts, springs, shocks. Off the top of my head. You should have seen it underneath at the back..like new hah!

I still don't see them as a great daily, fact is they are old. They are perfect if you have a second car, and wont be thrashing the life out of it.

Soldato
rare said:
I did quite a lot of miles on mine. But yes, it DID need a lot of work. Clutch, Oil seals, Head gasket, all the bushes on the rear,rear bearings, both front lower arms, alternator, starter motor,water pump,timing belt, both rear rear driveshafts, springs, shocks. Off the top of my head. You should have seen it underneath at the back..like new hah!

I still don't see them as a great daily, fact is they are old. They are perfect if you have a second car, and wont be thrashing the life out of it.
How many miles were on it when you bought it and how many miles did you do?
Sounds like a lot of parts that need to be replaced due to wear and tear and will already be replaced on any good example that can be found now.

Agree with you on the fact that its not an ideal daily driver.

Soldato
Sounds like a lot of parts that need to be replaced due to wear and tear and will already be replaced on any good example that can be found now.

True, and a slight lack of luck. I put about 35k on it in 18 months.

Soldato
The Evo 2 on there is simply outstanding. Car won first place at Gaydon couple years back. The guy who owned/owns it is a real nice guy to chat to and is probably the greatest perfectionist in the world when it comes to prep.

Back
Top Bottom