370Z reliability?

Associate
Yeah, some good points here, thanks guys.

I looked at supercharger / turbo kits for the 350z a few months back but the insurance quotes were astronomical soon as I hit that "engine mod" section. :(
Try: Sky modified, Adrian Flux, Brent Acre and Keith Micheals for heavily modified cars.

I also think its worth stating that FI 370Zs struggle to put the power down big time. If you want a car to mod, the Z4 35i/s is a far better platform. (N54, already FI, 450bhp with bolt ons and a map). 650 with a set of turbos. The z4 is in a different league

Man of Honour
Dug up on another forum:

EN228 (UK Regular Unleaded): min RON 95, min MON 85 = min AKI 90
BS7800 (UK Super Unleaded): min RON 97, min MON 86 = min AKI 91.5
Shell V-Power: min RON 99, min MON 86 = min AKI 92.5

Nissan recommends minimum of AKI 91 for the 370Z, regular unleaded will be a bit of a lottery sometimes just good enough other times you might get a tank full not quite good enough.

Man of Honour
Is it true that the premium petrol can improve performace / bhp?? or is that just *******?

True if your engine is tuned for it. It'll just change the timing accordingly as most cars do. As stated though older models did suffer from bad det damage on poor quality fuels.

I echo the comments about Abbey motors - great company.

Also, FI on a zed is ok, but requires a lot of work, and the ESP isn't THAT sophisticated so you need to be aware of the backend, the 370z has a shorter wheelbase so can be a little twitchier than the 350z (which is more commonly used for drifting). However, the 370z chassis is more agile, it swaps direction much better, and is overall much more modern - but by today's standards it's a little dated IMO.

I don't think FI is really worth it but the non FI upgrades cost a lot for very little.

I took my 350z from stock (276) to just over 305 but at fair bit of cost, ecu tuning, plenum spacer, air intake modification (to get more air in, not an induction kit), full decat exhaust, and a few others I can't remember now. Cost a few £k. Worth it just for the sound / torque and extra shove, but the cost of a supercharger would have been too much IMO. Though because it's a big-ish displacement engine, a s/c makes more sense than turbo IMO, and having been in a 420bhp 350z it is hairy but exhilarating.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is the Infiniti G35 as well, which is a posh 350z. But the styling is a bit... American. You don't see them very often in the UK though.

Soldato
OP
There is the Infiniti G35 as well, which is a posh 350z. But the styling is a bit... American. You don't see them very often in the UK though.

Are they not all automatic anyway man? i deffo want a manual.

I'd still go for 370 now. Despite my love for the 350.

But since I need 4 seats these days that won't happen!

Yeah, it does seem to make more sense.

Soldato
Don't own a 370Z, but own a 350Z Roadster and it's fantastic, a mini muscle car is how I view the engine. Handles great, solidly built with zero rust (2007)... we love it. Only thing I would say is the sat nav isn't too good with the controls on the 350/ probably all updated on the 370, but from a reliability point of view, probably nothing much diffent. Owned my 350z for what nearly 3 years now... not a single fault.

Soldato
Don't own a 370Z, but own a 350Z Roadster and it's fantastic, a mini muscle car is how I view the engine. Handles great, solidly built with zero rust (2007)... we love it. Only thing I would say is the sat nav isn't too good with the controls on the 350/ probably all updated on the 370, but from a reliability point of view, probably nothing much diffent. Owned my 350z for what nearly 3 years now... not a single fault.

Next door had a 350z it was a rough import.
He did let me drive it and I enjoyed it a lot.
I really enjoy this type of car, not a fan of luxo barges and SUVs.

Man of Honour
Personally somewhat the opposite - not really a 2 seater sports car or the like fan - though I do like the 370Z. More coupe or SUV/pickup kind of person.

Caporegime
It probably also says to only service the car at an approved Nissan garage and all the other usual bull but most people know better.

The difference there is that the former puts money directly into Nissan's Pocket. The latter goes to someone else's pocket.

(you are probably going to come back with they are all in each other's pocket or something to that extent).

Associate
The difference there is that the former puts money directly into Nissan's Pocket. The latter goes to someone else's pocket.

(you are probably going to come back with they are all in each other's pocket or something to that extent).

I just don't buy the it needs 99 ron fuel. Its not like its a Japan import and even then its debatable. I had a dc5 many moons ago which everyone said needed v power. Used to out 95 ron in and did the world end? Nope.

Caporegime
I just don't buy the it needs 99 ron fuel. Its not like its a Japan import and even then its debatable. I had a dc5 many moons ago which everyone said needed v power. Used to out 95 ron in and did the world end? Nope.

You can run a Honda engine with no oil at all for a few miles as well, the world doesn't end. It just wears out sooner vs using oil.

It's all relative.

Associate
Ive had and raced a 350z and currently have a 370z from new that's been tuned a little.

Car is great - personally i hated the auto box when i tried it, the manual is significantly better. Tuning wise, having used AbbeyMotorsport for years i would also recommend (I live 3 hours away) - on the 70 the TC is really intrusive by standard, with the ecutek copy/paste map from abbey they sort the TC out as well as bumping the power and throttle response. Also if you have cruise control you can have switchable maps - 95/98 ron, pops/bangs or normal or valet mode etc.. good car but a little pricey to run on fuel.

Not much effort to boost it if you use a supercharger and stay at/below 400, anything over that requires some money and time tho.

Soldato
If it is anything like the 350z I will imagine it will be very good reliability wise. I had a 2007 HR 350z for a few years and ran it for about 20k miles. Aside the banana arms needing replacing around 40k miles it didn't need anything. I don't know if they changed the design for the 370z, but if they didn't, then budget around £500 for a set of 350z-uk forum supplied aftermarket arms and fitting by a competent garage.

I did track it and that exposed some issues, such as boiling clutch fluid as it runs stupidly close to the exhaust headers, que me with the car stuck in second gear for a lap of Castle Combe!

I always ran my car on Tesco Momentum 99 fuel and never had issues with pre detonation etc.

I did contemplate a 370z after I got rid of my 350z, but alas it has not happened as my priorities changed! (read baby)...

Back
Top Bottom