• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3800x thread.

Associate
Installed my 3800x today. Bios f40
Booted fine initially but took a little while.
I restarted to go into bios and enable xmp
Wouldn’t boot.
Disabled xmp and booted ok.
Updated to bios f41c and booted fine.
Updated to latest Nvidia drivers.
PC is running great for 20 mins but completely freezes after that. Forcing a restart.
Temps are ok.
I’ve taken out 2 sticks of my 32gb ram to see if it’s happier on 16gb.

Oh the joys of early adoption.

Associate
Wouldn’t boot.
PC is running great for 20 mins but completely freezes after that. Forcing a restart.
Temps are ok.

I personally didnt enable XMP, just changed the frequency to 3600 manually, DRAM voltage to 1.35 and reduce the timings to 15-15-15-35 manually. Everything is working really good.
It could be a BIOS thing

Associate
Wouldn’t boot.
Temps are ok.

Few ppl here (me included) had probs with first time xmp boot, done it in steps - 2666,3000,3200, now all works and restarts ok.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Saw somewhere that they OC'd a 3800x to 5.9ghz..... Liquid Nitrogen ofc, but still 5.9 is pretty insane

Soldato
I keep reading that 3800x is better silicon than 3700x but the issue is the few reviews i have read does not seem to indicate so, thry both seem to top out at 4.3 or 4.4ghz. Would be interested to read what others are getting.

seems the best silicon will go to threadripper once again and the very best to server cpu.

Last edited:
Associate
Wouldn’t boot.
Temps are ok.

Have you checked for WHEA errors? Thinking I might hold off building mine and sit on the parts for a little while until its stabilized a bit.

Associate
Have you checked for WHEA errors? Thinking I might hold off building mine and sit on the parts for a little while until its stabilized a bit.
I’ll have a look at this too. I was just trying out all my games last night. I’m hitting the boost clock of 4.5 so there’s that. I’ve seen a big PERF jump over my 1600 so things can only get better as I go forward.

Soldato
Lol. Its a beast of a CPU, you wont be disappointed.

Poor X570 Taichi has been sat waiting for its CPU for a week now lol, gotta say tho im a bit skeptical about how its going to go together as i use Samsung NVME drives and it appears theres all sorts of issues with them at the moment?

Plan is to bench my current rig tonight to get some scores, i'll make sure everything is on the latest version, GPU, Chipset drivers etc, and then build the x570, put the NVME in from the old build and bench again, then do a fresh install on my other NVME and bench a 3rd and final time to see if theres much difference between the build on an existing windows disk transplant, to a fresh out of the box build.

Associate
Poor X570 Taichi has been sat waiting for its CPU for a week now lol, gotta say tho im a bit skeptical about how its going to go together as i use Samsung NVME drives and it appears theres all sorts of issues with them at the moment?

Plan is to bench my current rig tonight to get some scores, i'll make sure everything is on the latest version, GPU, Chipset drivers etc, and then build the x570, put the NVME in from the old build and bench again, then do a fresh install on my other NVME and bench a 3rd and final time to see if theres much difference between the build on an existing windows disk transplant, to a fresh out of the box build.
Mine is working fine. Got a 960 Evo 250GB and a Corsair MP510 960GB

Associate
Few ppl here (me included) had probs with first time xmp boot, done it in steps - 2666,3000,3200, now all works and restarts ok.
I’m gonna have a good tinker around with settings tonight. I’m quite happy with the new performance I have but it’s eating me up that I have 3200 ram running at 2133 :rolleyes:

Soldato
I'm going to have to grab myself a 3800X, every shop I rang today.......and there was a lot of them all said the same thing, the next batch of 3900X at the end of August / beginning of September, and most of those are on pre order, they won't be expecting another batch until mid November.

Damn shame as I wanted the 3900X but my 2700X is about to sell on fleabay and I can't live for 2 months without a CPU.

Associate
I’m gonna have a good tinker around with settings tonight. I’m quite happy with the new performance I have but it’s eating me up that I have 3200 ram running at 2133 :rolleyes:
Well I’ve got my Ram running stable now.
It just needed some juice. I set the voltage to 1.36v and now all 32gb are at 3200mhz.
Very happy with the 3800x now. Cinebench r20 scores have jumped up a bit more.
Now for an evening of stress testing (gaming)

Soldato
Installing my new rig tomorrow with the 3800x and I can't wait! Once all setup what are the latest settings to change to get max gaming performance out of it?

Back
Top Bottom