• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

390X or 980ti - which one are you going for?

Soldato
You'll have to dig for the quote then.
AMD designed the card to run @95c, they wouldn't have if there wasn't a reason behind it.

Knowing there would be outcry over the silly temperatures, they would have no doubt given a reason behind it. I remember it was vague and along the lines of. Science, bitch.

AMD designed the card to run @95c
Yes AMD did say that, but that not the same as saying is more efficient and better for the hardware, its not even close to saying that.
And or course there is a reason and more likely that the best they could do at the time with the performance they were aiming for.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You'll have to dig for the quote then.
AMD designed the card to run @95c, they wouldn't have if there wasn't a reason behind it.

Knowing there would be outcry over the silly temperatures, they would have no doubt given a reason behind it. I remember it was vague and along the lines of. Science, bitch.

AMD designed the card to run at 94c for a very simple reason, it was cheaper than making it run at 80c.

I do hope that AMD put in the work on the cooler for the 3 series as the noise/heat generated by the reference 290X cooler has generated a lot of bad publicity even if the card copes fine @94c.

Soldato
What he said before he was officially with AMD is irrelevant as he was not representing AMD and nothing he said can be taken as AMD said.

Could have ended this back and fourth back on this quote then :rolleyes:

I'm not in the mood to look for some random quote done by Matt back in his tonguing days :p

As for AMD's stance, he gave me the reasons.
Que quote:

I still remember Matt quoting me AMD's reason for the cooler running @95c when i asked lol.
Science, bitch.

**** me...

Soldato
K, brah.
Said previously, i really don't give a ****.

Go phone up your buddy Matt, he's now officially with AMD. He might give you a better answer as to the PR reasons for the shocking cooler.

Soldato
K, brah.
Said previously, i really don't give a ****.

Go phone up your buddy Matt, he's now officially with AMD. He might give you a better answer as to the PR reasons for the shocking cooler.

Its seems you do care and we all know the cooler is crap and we know AMDs official stance and that's all that matters, but you care more about what Matt said to you apparently which you should care less about than what AMD said ;)

Soldato
K, brah.
I wont say anything bad about AMD, ever again!

And in fact you clearly didn't understand what Matt personally said and the quote.

Newtons law of cooling. :cool: :p

Anandtech
With that in mind, why would AMD even want to increase their operating temperatures to 95C? In short, to take full advantage of Newton’s Law of Cooling. Newton’s Law of Cooling dictates that the greater the gradient between a heat source and its environment, the more heat energy can be transferred. Or in other words, AMD is able to remove more heat energy from the GPU with the same cooling apparatus simply by operating at a higher temperature. Ergo a 290X operating at 95C can consume more power (operate at greater performance levels) while requiring no increase in cooling (noise) over what a 290X that operates at a lower temperature would require.

Anandtech covered it pretty well i think, if you fancy a read. Now whilst we can all agree that 94c is far from ideal, there is at least some method behind the madness. Maybe i didn't phrase it perfectly mind.

Source
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/5

Which means its better that it can cope at 94c max than lets say 74c max with the provided cooler, because it can cope at 94c its giving more performance than if it could only cope with 74c.

Last edited:
Soldato
And in fact you clearly didn't understand what Matt personally said and the quote.

Which means its better that it can cope at 94c max than lets say 74c max with the provided cooler, because it can cope at 94c its giving more performance than if it could only cope with 74c.

So basically what we are saying the card is more efficient at 94c vs 74c based on Newton’s Law of Cooling.
Actually other then a bit noisy there wern't too bad of a cooler

Now everyone agrees it is more efficient and based on science can we get back on topic

Personally I'm after a next gen flagship card from either side with 40-50% more performance and 6gb+ of Vram , Yes i'd like to go for 2+ of them so the vram becomes relevant more

Soldato
Science rocks.
Gravity holding them back or thsoe pesky rocks would fly and crush if they could.
Just ask the dinosaurs they made them regret the out the nature going around doing your thing.

darn soon FEB no 390x?
Cant stand this pressure.
cooking from the inside out.
gonna go cool me with some water.

Soldato
So basically what we are saying the card is more efficient at 94c vs 74c based on Newton’s Law of Cooling.
Actually other then a bit noisy there wern't too bad of a cooler

Now everyone agrees it is more efficient and based on science can we get back on topic

Personally I'm after a next gen flagship card from either side with 40-50% more performance and 6gb+ of Vram , Yes i'd like to go for 2+ of them so the vram becomes relevant more

No the card is not more efficient at 94c vs 74c based on Newton’s Law of Cooling, its does not say that, what it says is that it can give more performance because it can operate at 94c vs 74c based on Newton’s Law of Cooling which means for the same cooling a GPU that can operate at a higher temp can give more performance on a given arc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom