• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3950X Upgrade to 5950X ???

Soldato
Have you even looked into V-cache past that slide which showed an average* of a 15% uplift of 5 games?
It must be a worthwhile increase else it wouldn't be worth AMDs time and effort.

Intel need 16c 32t chips and a interconnect system to at least double core count by last year. Come Zen 4 that will likely be 32c 64c.
I doubt we'll be seeing core count increases till Zen5 or if there is then it will likely be adding small cores.

Raptorlake is supposed to be 24 core 32 thread so should definetly be a step up for Intel but I still don't think it'll beat Zen 4 in MT but gaming could be a close battle.

Last edited:
Soldato
It must be a worthwhile increase else it wouldn't be worth AMDs time and effort.

I doubt we'll be seeing core count increases till Zen5.

Raptorlake is supposed to be 24 core 32 thread so should definetly be a step up for Intel but I still don't think it'll beat Zen 4 in MT but gaming could be a close battle.

Gaming could be close, but it could be not close at all on the CPU front. But yes I think Intel will make some big moves in the desktop graphics market, it’s easy pickings for them and Intel are hanging their hat on GPU’s replacing the lost income from mobile and desktop CPU sales.

You doubt we’ll see core counts increase, yet you suppose Intel will jump to 24c 32t in a worse case scenario. Yet AMD who are better in every way…

AMD’s desktop chips can take on and beat Intel’s Xeon products. Just think of that from a business scenario.

Soldato
Gaming could be close, but it could be more likely be not close at all on the CPU front. But yes I think Intel will make some big moves in the desktop graphics market, it’s easy pickings for them and Intel are hang their hat on GPU’s replacing the lost income from mobile and desktop CPU sales.

You doubt we’ll see core counts increase, yet you suppose Intel will jump to 24c 32t in a worse case scenario. Yet AMD who are better in every way…

AMD’s desktop chips can take on and beat Intel’s Xeon products. Just think of that from a business scenario.
Intel have to increase cores though to keep up while AMD don't but maybe AMD will go big/small and add some small cores so say 16 big 8 small etc or for the lower core count parts 6 and 8 big with 4 small.

Soldato
Intel have to increase cores though to keep up while AMD don't but maybe AMD will go big/small and add some small cores so say 16 big 8 small etc or for the lower core count parts 6 and 8 big with 4 small.

By the time Zen 4 is out AMD could offer 7nm Zen 3.5 Athlon chips with RDNA 1 integrated graphics upto 16c 32t and would beat Intel’s 10nm parts.

Intel could find themselves in a situation where i9 parts are struggling to “keep up” with trimmed down last gen Athlon’s.

Intel and AMD are no longer in the same league. What Intel have to do is much more than increase core count… you just don’t seem to grasp that at all.

Soldato
By the time Zen 4 is out AMD could offer 7nm Zen 3.5 Athlon chips with RDNA 1 integrated graphics upto 16c 32t and would beat Intel’s 10nm parts.

Intel could find themselves in a situation where i9 parts are struggling to “keep up” with trimmed down last gen Athlon’s.

Intel and AMD are no longer in the same league. What Intel have to do is much more than increase core count… you just don’t seem to grasp that at all.
I'm pretty sure Intel will come back strong and I hope they do else we'll be paying £500 for a 6 core chip in a few years if AMD have no competition.

Soldato
It’s hard to say if the move from a 3950X to
A 5950X is worth. The 5950X definitely offers a lot than the 3950X, I suppose the question is really is it worth the price of the upgrade, but that is a individual question.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure Intel will come back strong and I hope they do else we'll be paying £500 for a 6 core chip in a few years if AMD have no competition.

Under Intel a top end desktop chip cost close to £2k. A 5950X now £6-700

A 4c 8t core i7 was £350. Now a 2600 costs 1/3 of that. The CPU market has never been in better shape.

Soldato
Under Intel a top end desktop chip cost close to £2k. A 5950X now £6-700

A 4c 8t core i7 was £350. Now a 2600 costs 1/3 of that. The CPU market has never been in better shape.
I'm guessing your talking about HEDT where the threadripper now costs 4K?

4c 8t was the flagship at the time now we pay over double that for a flagship but I guess it's still better than with GPUs.

Soldato
I'm guessing your talking about HEDT where the threadripper now costs 4K?

4c 8t was the flagship at the time now we pay over double that for a flagship but I guess it's still better than with GPUs.

Ryzen straddles HEDT and the general desktop market. Threadripper covers HEDT/workstation and with TRpro versions, a couple of other categories. EPYC is the same. Workstation/server with the P models.

Soldato

There is no maybe about it

amd documents and patents confirm they are moving to big.little as well, probably introduced for Zen 5

Caporegime
Ok then Mr know it all care to give your take?

+20% IPC +15 to 20% clocks.

+ 30 to 40%, even higher in games if very CPU heavy loads.

But you will only see that if you actually use it.
-----------------------

I almost bought a 9900K, i'm glad i waited because had i not right now i would not feel good about it, the 9900K seemed like the bees knees before Zen 3 but now it looks much more out of date than it is.

Rocket Lake could be much more competitive but i have a feeling its not going to live up to its hype, again.

Soldato
+20% IPC +15 to 20% clocks.

+ 30 to 40%, even higher in games if very CPU heavy loads.

But you will only see that if you actually use it.
-----------------------

I almost bought a 9900K, i'm glad i waited because had i not right now i would not feel good about it, the 9900K seemed like the bees knees before Zen 3 but now it looks much more out of date than it is.

Rocket Lake could be much more competitive but i have a feeling its not going to live up to its hype, again.
It doesn't translate to that much performance in AAA games though especially at 1440p.

Screenshot-121.png

Soldato
Skip a gen, leaping to the next gen is never worth it in the cpu department. It really isn't that noticeable unless you bench them for trophy places.

I haz 4090!
Don
Bit of a thread hijack but I have exactly the same problem going from a 3800X to a 5900X. For the games I play on my monitors, they're basically locked to the refresh of my monitor, and for everything else, I play sat on the sofa at 4K. So pointless but I'm getting that upgrade itch again just because I want one.

Permabanned
Bit of a thread hijack but I have exactly the same problem going from a 3800X to a 5900X. For the games I play on my monitors, they're basically locked to the refresh of my monitor, and for everything else, I play sat on the sofa at 4K. So pointless but I'm getting that upgrade itch again just because I want one.

Well:

PassMark - AMD Ryzen 7 3800X - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

PassMark - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

I have an AMD 3950X and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 5950X, is it worth it?

I can obviously get a little money back from selling the 3950X, but looking at the specs, all I can see is the clock rate is slightly higher, all the other basic stuff is the same.

From what I can see the next AMD CPU will have a different socket, so the upgrade path for a CPU, stops with the 5950X.

The other option is to wait for the release of the next AMD CPU and get a new motherboard/CPU and DDR 5 RAM??

What do you think?

I think that it is not that important right now.

PassMark - AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

PassMark - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

Back
Top Bottom