• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3D Mark announces Steel Nomad benchmark, replaces Timespy

Soldato
After several years, 3D Mark says Timespy's reign at the top is coming to a close

It will be replaced with a new benchmark called Steel Nomad, but it is not yet available for download

Last edited:
Associate
So it's not an RTX/Ray traced bench? Port Royal still the one for that.
Not saying that's a bad thing (as an AMD GPU owner lol)!

What I would really like to see though, is a UE5 bench with Nanite/Lumen. I'm assuming that will be pretty relevant in the next few years.
(it will definitely be relevant for me, as an ARK addict! Ascended is definitely putting the hurt on my 7900XT...but it's sooooo pretty :D )

Soldato
OP
It will probably be a mixed benchmark, stressing multiple parts of the system just like Timespy also worked as a CPU and memory test, would not be surprised if it has some Ray tracing but I don't expect it to be fully Ray traced like port Royal.

Timespy was meant as an overall benchmark to see how well your PC as a whole could handle new and future games and this will probably do the same

Last edited:
Soldato

3DMark Steel Nomad will be free. Nice!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

3DMark Steel Nomad will be free. Nice!

Wonder if there will be an xtreme version for paid users like timespy and firestrike

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There is an update in the steam group. Looks to be a slight delay but maybe April.

They can take their time to tweak it I don't mind. As they correctly point out it's not a good look to launch a benchmark that requires updates because the scores are not accurate across different hardware configurations as such updates would invalidate past results and require resets of the ladders; for this type of benchmark it needs to be accurate and work on day one, so they can take their time no rush

Associate
It’d be good if the cpu scores are more applicable to reality. In TS, hyper threading just scales as half cores but in reality HT often means no gain or often regression.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Seems like it favours nvidia a good bit

True performance of the 4090, unrestrained

Also, would suggest looking at the default benchmark performance; that website has done the default and the light mode test, the light mode numbers look a bit weird probably due to cpu bottlenecks or some other issue but the default mode numbers look as you'd expect with the 4090 in the lead, followed by the 7900xtx, followed by the 4080 super

For example, the scores on the default test:

4090: 11287
7900xtx: 7307
4080 super: 7243

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom